Re: [cerebus] Dave Sim - Uncollected Letters No. 15: Carmine Nappi

  • Margaret
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
      On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 1:22 AM, Claude Flowers <claude@...> wrote:
      31 December 05

      Dear Carmine Nappi:

      Thanks for your recent letter.

      It's certainly been a relatively common suggestion that I collect the
      essays from the back of Cerebus as a book.  The problem is that — as
      a small publisher — it really takes all of Ger's and my joint
      resources just to keep the sixteen volumes of Cerebus in print.  This
      year was particularly brutal since we had to print five books.  At
      the moment it looks as if a colour volume from Image or a book of the
      covers is going to be the next project that we do.  However there is
      a guy working on a DVD-Rom of all of the "back of the book" content
      (which, of course, would include the essays) and a number of them are
      available at Margaret Liss's www.cerebusfangirl.com.  Check them out
      there and you can even see if she plays requests!

      Actually, I do kind of take requests - now that I have a new scanner all I need to do is scan it in and use the OCR program to convert it to a text file, then clean up the typos / errors made by the OCR program (it is close to perfect, sometimes some letters blend together and cause confusion for the program). So if there is an essay by Dave that is in the back of Cerebus, that ain't here, then just ask me to scan it in. I usually post word document and pdf verisons too in the event you'd like to print them out and read them on the bus or at the in-laws.

      --
      Take care,
      Margaret
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
        Huzzah!

        I hope everyone has enjoyed the uncollected letters to date. Any
        comments/observations/thoughts about whether or not you'd like to see
        a Volume 3 in the actual book series?

        --Claude

        <http://www.cerebusfangirl.com/artists/index.php>,

        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
          On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 11:45 AM, cwf9 <claude@...> wrote:

          Huzzah!

          I hope everyone has enjoyed the uncollected letters to date. Any
          comments/observations/thoughts about whether or not you'd like to see
          a Volume 3 in the actual book series?

          --Claude

          Well, my answer is always a resounding: YES! While part of me liked the smaller volume of Collected Letters 2, as it was easier to put in a backpack and take with me for reading pleasure, I like the larger phonebook size CL better. And besides, it sits so nicely with the rest of the phonebooks on my bookshelf.

          And please, please include the index as that is so handy to have. I always put little stick 'ums on pages that interest me, but having an index to go back through to verify something once I've finished reading the book is always handy.

          And yes, I've enjoyed the UCL to date. Thanks for posting them Claude. :)

          --
          Take care,
          Margaret
          http://www.cerebusfangirl.com
        • Ryan
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
            --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Margaret <cerebusfangirl@...> wrote:

            > On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 11:45 AM, cwf9 <claude@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Huzzah!
            > >
            > > I hope everyone has enjoyed the uncollected letters to date. Any
            > > comments/observations/thoughts about whether or not you'd like to
            see
            > > a Volume 3 in the actual book series?
            > >
            > > --Claude
            >

            > Well, my answer is always a resounding: YES! While part of me liked
            the
            > smaller volume of Collected Letters 2, as it was easier to put in a
            backpack
            > and take with me for reading pleasure, I like the larger phonebook
            size CL
            > better. And besides, it sits so nicely with the rest of the
            phonebooks on my
            > bookshelf.
            >
            > And please, please include the index as that is so handy to have. I
            always
            > put little stick 'ums on pages that interest me, but having an index
            to go
            > back through to verify something once I've finished reading the book
            is
            > always handy.
            >
            > And yes, I've enjoyed the UCL to date. Thanks for posting them
            Claude. :)

            > --
            > Take care,
            > Margaret
            > http://www.cerebusfangirl.com

            Oh yeah, man, you totally so need an index: one of the best things
            about CL1 was the excellent index that covered everything (e.g.
            masturbation, feminism) and CL2 suffers in comparison. Some letters
            from/to famous people, like Neil Gaiman, would be cool, although
            continuing established correspondence with Seiler and Jeff S is good
            too.

            And someone should tell Dave that it's DAVID Beckham not DAVE
            Beckham.
            ryan
          • craigjohnsonesq@aol.com

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
                On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 12:04 PM, <craigjohnsonesq@...> wrote:
                Absolutely....and the book of essays....and the book of colour work...and hardcover limited edition phone books....and the book of covers.

                What would be nice is if Dave would consent to one or more people funding and/or organising and pushing through these projects, without any financial requirement on his part (or time other than final approval and maybe a new cover) and he can just reap the rewards when released....

                -- Craig.

                Or do a print on demand thing like lulu or blurb or even ::shhh:: Amazon.com. . .

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
                  --- On Thu, 1/1/09, Margaret <cerebusfangirl@...> wrote:

                  >And yes, I've enjoyed the UCL to date. Thanks for posting them Claude. :)

                  Aye!

                  TTM
                • Dan Pawley
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009