Re: OT: Crazy People (was: Lenny and Prejudice)

    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 1, 2008
      --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "rainmandu2" <rainmandu@...> wrote:

      > > ######Which displays shocking ignorance and
      > > a discriminatory attitude
      > > towards people with mental illness.
      > > Can you imagine the shitstorm if
      > > I'd said Jews weren't worth having a
      > > conversation with? How is this
      > > any better?
      > >
      > > Ryan
      >
      > Because Jewish people aren't likely,
      > in the middle of some light dinner conversation, to
      > reach out and touch the tip of your nose and say
      > "Booga! Booga!" and then climb up on the
      > table and defecate on the fruit plate.
      > Jewish people are great dinner guests that way.

      Waitaminute, I thought I had you pegged as someone who would
      consider people who did that to BE great dinner guests.

      - Larry Hart
    • rainmandu2
      Message 35 of 35 , Jan 3, 2008
        --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Dunne" <cerebusboy@...> wrote:

        > > > Cool, what kind?
        > >
        > > Rainmandu says:
        > > The tiny, yapping ones.
        >
        > You mean like Paris Hilton has? Isn't that a bit gay ;-)?

        Rainmandu says:
        Yes, like that. And, no, it says that you're extremely confident in your sexuality that you
        can have a tiny, yapping Paris Hilton dog. And also that you have a really big cock.

        > > I like German Shephard. I have a neighbour that's got
        > > > those cool Japanes ones. Don't you concede that you have a similar
        > > > style as Dan Savage? It's intended as a compliment - Savage is
        > > > obviously renowned for being funny and perverted .
        > > > ;-)
        > >
        > > Rainmandu says:
        > > I concede no such thing.
        >
        > You *genuinely* don't see the similarity between your style and his? I
        > can't believe that you live in Seattle and no-one has pointed it out
        > to you.

        Rainmandu says:
        The only "You're like this person" things anyone ever says to me are that I look like Andy
        Partridge from XTC and that I talk like a character on "Gilmore Girls."

        On the other hand, I did consider that maybe certain Americans
        > have this similar speech style and it's not something unique to Dan
        > Savage e.g. I might display all sorts of Glasweigan stylistic elements
        > that are not unique to me. I concede that I may just be being
        > superficial in detecting a similarity between yourself and Savage. Do
        > you read the Seattle newspaper "The Stranger"? The online version is
        > where I read Savage's columns from.

        Rainmandu says:
        I used to, when it was convenient to just grab it and read it at the coffee shop or whatever,
        but now I don't. It's really not my kind of thing.

        > > > A lot of people refer to London Fields as a classic, so I should
        > > > probably read that first.
        > >
        > > Rainmandu says:
        > > "London Fields" is good. My favorites are "Dead Babies" and "Money."
        >
        > What's so good about "Dead Babies"

        Rainmandu says:
        Well-written, interesting, funny characters and situations, laugh-out-loud funny, bleaker
        than bleak, and blacker than black. They made a movie, but changed the title to "Mood
        Swingers." Amis's weirdest book is "Time's Arrow." The whole novel takes place in reverse.
        Oh, no, not like "Memento." Time literally moves in reverse in the novel. Prostitutes slowly
        develop bruises and then have to go to their pimps to have them removed with a violent
        laying on of hands. That sort of thing. Lots of normal, day-to-day stuff like eating and
        shitting, but in reverse. It was hugely controversial at the time it was published because
        it's also a Holocaust story. Yeah. Let that sink in.

        > > I recall him using the phrase
        > > > "reader-nuking" in regard to Joyce which is pretty memorable. He has a
        > > > scathing attack on Hannibal too. Do you like the Hannibal Lector
        > > > books?
        > >
        > > Rainmandu says:
        > > No, I don't. I think all readers should be offended by a writer who writes like someone
        who
        > > cranks out two books a year, but who takes four or more years to do it.
        >
        > More like 8 years. What's wrong with style? It's spare and memorable -
        > e.g. "his thoughts were no more bound by fear or kindness than
        > Milton's were by physics" - and Lector has, justifiably I think, been
        > called the most memorable literary villian since Dracula.

        Rainmandu says:
        Like I said, he writes like someone who cranks out two novels a year. It just seems rushed
        and clumsy to me. And, yes, Lector blah, blah, blah. I recently read a book called "Heart
        Sick." The serial killer in THAT one has been compared to Lector, but I think she's better.
        But I think Chelsea Cain, who wrote "Heart Sick" is a better writer, so...

        Do you like
        > Vampire novels? I hear Anne Rice is good, but I've never read the
        > stuff myself. Apparently Lucifer turns up in one of them which sounds
        > cool.

        Rainmandu says:
        I tried to read Anne Rice. Failed miserably. She's horrible.
        Did you guys get shows
        > like Fry and Laurie and Blackadder over there?
        >
        > --
        > Ryan

        Rainmandu says:
        Yes.