Dave Sim's blogandmail #464 (December 19th, 2007)

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007

      Wednesday, December 19 -

      Fifteen Impossible Things to Believe Before Breakfast That Make You a Good Feminist

      1. A mother who works a full-time job and delegates to strangers the raising of her children eight hours a day, five days a week does just as good a job as a mother who hand-rears her children full time.

      2. It makes great sense for the government to pay 10 to 15,000 dollars a year to fund a daycare space for a child so its mother - who pays perhaps 2,000 dollars in taxes - can be a contributing member of society.

      3. A woman's doctor has more of a valid claim to participate in the decision to abort a fetus than does the father of that fetus.

      4. So long as a woman makes a decision after consulting with her doctor, she is incapable of making an unethical choice.

      5. A car with two steering wheels, two gas pedals and two brakes drives more efficiently than a car with one steering wheel, one gas pedal and one brake which is why marriage should always be an equal partnership.

      6. It is absolutely necessary for women to be allowed to join or participate fully in any gathering place for men, just as it is absolutely necessary that there be women only environments from which men are excluded.

      7. Because it involves taking jobs away from men and giving them to women, affirmative action makes for a fairer and more just society.

      8. It is important to have lower physical standards for women firepersons and women policepersons so that, one day, half of all firepersons and policepersons will be women, thus more effectively protecting the safety of the public.

      9. Affirmative action at colleges and universities needs to be maintained now that more women than men are being enrolled, in order to keep from giving men an unfair advantage academically.

      10. Having ensured that there is no environment for men where women don't belong (see no.6) it is important to have zero tolerance of any expression or action which any woman might regard as sexist to ensure greater freedom for everyone.

      11. Only in a society which maintains a level of 95% of alimony and child support being paid by men to women can men and women be considered as equals.

      12. An airline stewardess who earned $20,000 a year at the time that she married a baseball player earning $6 million a year is entitled, in the event of a divorce, to $3 million for each year of the marriage and probably more.

      13. A man's opinions on how to rear and/or raise a child are invalid because he is not the child's mother. However, his financial obligation is greater because no woman gets pregnant by herself.

      14. Disagreeing with any of these statements makes you anti-woman and/or a misogynist.

      15. Legislature Seats must be allocated to women and women must be allowed to bypass the democratic winnowing process in order to guarantee female representation and, thereby, make democracy fairer.

      The World's Shortest Blog & Mail Entries

      EVER

      as Secret Project #2 Comes to the Direct

      Market

      How do you make having to blow your nose every 30 seconds into an auspicious sign for your new title? Well, I'm not as sick as I was in January. That's one thing. It does have elements of that – weird sleeplessness that didn't actually feel like sleeplessness until I realized that I hadn't actually been fully unconscious for longer than ten minutes at a time in almost 36 hours. Since sleep is how I usually get rid of these viruses, that proved to be a killer. This time I am able to sleep for two hours at a time usually right around the time I'm supposed to be getting up. I wake up feeling a little rough, pull myself together and then gradually go downhill until I capitulate and fall over into bed for while. And, of course, as soon as I'm lying down I feel 100% better. So I get out of bed and then proceed to go downhill again.

      How auspicious is that? Not very, you say? Okay, the last time I remember being this much of a Human Mucus Machine was November 1977 in Gananoque, Ontario at Gene Day's place, working on CEREBUS No. 1 (He was working on the "Days of Future Past" story that appeared in STAR REACH). Whatever it was we both got it bad and sat there back-to-back in his second floor studio in the big house on First Street, filling up an industrial sized waste drum with used Kleenex.

      Actually we switched to toilet paper at one point to save money.

      There. That's auspicious. Excuse me. I hab do blow my node dow.

      Due to Dave Sim's recent computer difficulties, the December 25th blog&mail will be the last for the foreseeable future.

      Announcements concerning Secret Project II and other events will be made as soon as possible.

      This may also be viewed at http://davesim.blogspot.com/

      http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=25ED8C60667D0A95

      If you wish to contact Dave Sim, you can mail a letter (he does NOT receive emails) to:

      Aardvark Vanaheim, Inc
      P.O. Box 1674
      Station C
      Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2G 4R2

      Looking for a place to purchase Cerebus phonebooks? You can do so online through Win-Mill Productions -- producers of Following Cerebus. Convenient payment with PayPal:

      http://spectrummagazines.bizland.com/cerebusgn.chtml

      Or, you can check out Mars Import:

      http://www.marsimport.com/display_series.php?ID=142

      Or ask your local retailer to order them for you through Diamond Comics distributors. Here are the Diamond Star System codes:

      Cerebus #1-25 $30.00 STAR00070

      High Society #26-50 $30.00 STAR00071

      Church and State I #52-80 $35.00 STAR00271

      Church and State II #81-111 $35.00 STAR00321

      Jaka's Story #114-136 $30.00 STAR00359

      Melmoth #139-150 $20.00 STAR00431

      Flight #151-162 $20.00 STAR00543

      Women #163-174 $20.00 STAR00849

      Reads #175-186 $20.00 STAR01063

      Minds #187-200 $20.00 STAR01916

      Guys #201-219 $25.00 STAR06972

      Rick's Story #220-231 $20.00 STAR08468

      Going Home I #232-250 $30.00 STAR10981

      Form and Void #251-265 $30.00 STAR13500

      Latter Days #266 - 288 $35.00 AUG031920

      The Last Day #289 - 300 $25.00 APR042189

      Collected Letters - $30 FEB052434

      Collected Letters 2 - $22 MAR073054

    • Margaret
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
        On Dec 19, 2007 8:08 PM, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:

        Wednesday, December 19 -

        Due to Dave Sim's recent computer difficulties, the December 25th blog&mail will be the last for the foreseeable future.

        Gah! Noooooo!

        Announcements concerning Secret Project II and other events will be made as soon as possible.

         looking forward to it.

        --
        Take care,
        Margaret
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
          On 20/12/2007, Margaret <cerebusfangirl@...> wrote:

          On Dec 19, 2007 8:08 PM, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:

          Wednesday, December 19 -

          Due to Dave Sim's recent computer difficulties, the December 25th blog&mail will be the last for the foreseeable future.

          Gah! Noooooo!

          Announcements concerning Secret Project II and other events will be made as soon as possible.

           looking forward to it.

          --
          Take care,
          Margaret
          http://www.cerebusfangirl.com

          So does that mean we're not getting the Secret Project 2 title on boxing day?! My sister's in Canada for the holidays - I could ask her to go round Dave's and ask for it!
          ;-)

          --
          Ryan
        • John L
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 19, 2007
            On Dec 19, 2007 8:23 PM, Ryan Dunne <cerebusboy@...> wrote:

            > On 20/12/2007, Margaret <cerebusfangirl@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > On Dec 19, 2007 8:08 PM, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > > Wednesday, December 19 - Due to Dave Sim's recent computer difficulties,
            > the December 25th blog&mail will be the last for the foreseeable future.
            > >

            > > Gah! Noooooo!
            > >

            > > > Announcements concerning Secret Project II and other events will be made
            > as soon as possible.
            > > >

            > > looking forward to it.
            > >
            > > --
            > > Take care,
            > > Margaret
            > > http://www.cerebusfangirl.com
            > >

            > So does that mean we're not getting the Secret Project 2 title on boxing
            > day?! My sister's in Canada for the holidays - I could ask her to go round
            > Dave's and ask for it!
            > ;-)
            >
            > --
            > Ryan

            Failing that we could all drive up to Matt's house and pound the title
            out of him. Well, wveryone buit you, Ryan. He might construe that as
            another death threat. Also, the bridge from Scotland to Wisconsin
            isn't done yet. Larry might be closest, so Larry, when you get there,
            you just hold his arms til the rest of us show up. Imean, c'mon, how
            bad does everyone waht to know the title?

            John L (I'm kidding! Don't ban me!)
          • Ryan Dunne
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 20, 2007
              On 20/12/2007, John L <cerebus87@...> wrote:

              > On Dec 19, 2007 8:23 PM, Ryan Dunne <cerebusboy@...> wrote:

              > > the December 25th blog&mail will be the last for the foreseeable future.
              > > >

              > > > Gah! Noooooo!

              > > as soon as possible.
              > > > >

              > > > looking forward to it.
              > > >
              > > > --
              > > > Take care,
              > > > Margaret
              > > > http://www.cerebusfangirl.com
              > > >

              > > So does that mean we're not getting the Secret Project 2 title on boxing
              > > day?! My sister's in Canada for the holidays - I could ask her to go round
              > > Dave's and ask for it!
              > > ;-)
              > >
              > > --
              > > Ryan
              >
              > Failing that we could all drive up to Matt's house and pound the title
              > out of him. Well, wveryone buit you, Ryan. He might construe that as
              > another death threat. Also, the bridge from Scotland to Wisconsin
              > isn't done yet. Larry might be closest, so Larry, when you get there,
              > you just hold his arms til the rest of us show up. Imean, c'mon, how
              > bad does everyone waht to know the title?
              >
              > John L (I'm kidding! Don't ban me!)

              Or we could get Matt to ask Dave if it's ok to give us clues about the
              title - and then put our minds together and try and guess it! Why did
              Dave tell Matt the title anyway? I hope the title's something cool,
              like The Phantom Menace.

              ;-)

              --
              Ryan
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 20, 2007
                --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Tundis" <jctundis@...> wrote:

                > [Dave blogs about nose-blowing: ]
                >
                > How auspicious is that? Not very, you say? Okay, the last time I
                > remember being this much of a Human Mucus Machine
                > was November 1977 in
                > Gananoque, Ontario at Gene Day's place,
                > working on CEREBUS No. 1 (He
                > was working on the "Days of Future Past" story that
                > appeared in STAR REACH).

                You mean Marvel RIPPED OFF that title for the X-Men? Geez, whoda
                guessed? ;)

                > Whatever it was we both got it bad and sat there back-to-back in
                > his second floor studio in the big house on First Street,
                > filling up an
                > industrial sized waste drum with used Kleenex.

                Sounds like the cold my daughter has. It's not a particularly bad
                cold in terms of severity of symptoms, but it just doesn't quit.
                Ok, she's finally easing up with the blowing, but it's been two
                weeks!

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 20, 2007
                  --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Dunne" <cerebusboy@...> wrote:

                  > My sister's in Canada for the holidays - I could ask her to go round
                  > Dave's and ask for it!
                  > ;-)

                  I assume from the smiley that you realize Canada's a big place. If
                  she's in Vancouver (for instance), you're probably closer to Dave in
                  Glasgow.

                  When my wife and I were in Toronto in '96, we encounterd a European
                  couple who thought they were going to drive between Montreal, Toronto,
                  and Vancouver inside of a week. I wonder how that worked out. ;)

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 20, 2007
                    --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "John L" <cerebus87@...> wrote:

                    > Failing that we could all drive up to Matt's
                    > house and pound the title
                    > out of him. Well, wveryone buit you, Ryan.
                    > He might construe that as
                    > another death threat. Also, the bridge from Scotland to Wisconsin
                    > isn't done yet.
                    > Larry might be closest, so Larry, when you get there,
                    > you just hold his arms til the rest of us show up.
                    > Imean, c'mon, how
                    > bad does everyone waht to know the title?
                    >
                    > John L (I'm kidding! Don't ban me!)

                    Don't look at me. I'll be in Texas.

                    - Larry Hart
                  • Ryan Dunne
                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 20, 2007
                      On 20/12/2007, Larry <larrytheillini@...> wrote:

                      --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Ryan Dunne" <cerebusboy@...> wrote:

                      > My sister's in Canada for the holidays - I could ask her to go round
                      > Dave's and ask for it!
                      > ;-)

                      I assume from the smiley that you realize Canada's a big place. If
                      she's in Vancouver (for instance), you're probably closer to Dave in
                      Glasgow.

                      When my wife and I were in Toronto in '96, we encounterd a European
                      couple who thought they were going to drive between Montreal, Toronto,
                      and Vancouver inside of a week. I wonder how that worked out. ;)

                      - Larry Hart

                      Yeah, she's going to Calgary (sp?). Any of you US types holidayed in Canada? Over in the UK, it has something of a reputation as being a great place to work; apparently core workers such as Nurses and teachers are far better paid than in the UK. Have heard the US job market isn't great for those in middle and lower class occupations (I know the US allegedly doesn't have a class system, but it's still as ripe a subject for sociological analysis as any other country's employment situation) but will concede, for Rick's sake, that it could just be anti-Bush propagana. Clinton, for all people hate him, did create loads of jobs though right?

                      Appros nothing, my sister is called Kenna, which I think would rank high in a Cerebus members whose siblings have cool names competition.
                       --
                      Ryan
                    • Matt Dow
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 21, 2007
                        On 12/20/07, Ryan Dunne <cerebusboy@...> wrote:
                        On 20/12/2007, John L <cerebus87@...> wrote:

                        > Failing that we could all drive up to Matt's house and pound the title
                        > out of him.

                        BRING IT FAT MAN!!!!!!!
                        (Too harsh.  Lemme try again,)
                        If you wanna dance, I'll bring the beat.
                        (Too "West Side Story", one more time,)
                        Bitch, don't make me ball this:

                        Well, wveryone buit you, Ryan. He might construe that as
                        > another death threat. Also, the bridge from Scotland to Wisconsin
                        > isn't done yet. Larry might be closest, so Larry, when you get there,
                        > you just hold his arms til the rest of us show up. Imean, c'mon, how
                        > bad does everyone waht to know the title?
                        >
                        > John L (I'm kidding! Don't ban me!)

                        Or we could get Matt to ask Dave if it's ok to give us clues about the
                        title - and then put our minds together and try and guess it!

                         There's some vowels...and some consonants.

                        Sadly, no umlauts.

                        Why did
                        Dave tell Matt the title anyway?

                        Because I'm his bestest friend!
                        (I'm allowed to dream, damnit!!!!!)

                        I hope the title's something cool,
                        like The Phantom Menace.

                        ;-)
                        --
                        Ryan

                        Those are nowhere near the right vowels...or consonants.

                        Matt Dow
                        (Oh wait, yeah some of those are close...REAL close.)

                      • Chris W
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 21, 2007
                          Matt Dow <mouseskull@...> wrote:
                          I hope the title's something cool,
                          like The Phantom Menace.

                          ;-)
                          --
                          Ryan

                          Those are nowhere near the right vowels...or consonants.

                          Matt Dow
                          (Oh wait, yeah some of those are close...REAL close.)

                          .

                          There's no "a", "e" or "o" in the title?  That only leaves "u & i" (and sometimes "y").  Which would be a nifty Dave Sim comic book title.

                          Incidentally, did anyone notice that there is no "I" in any Star Wars movie except "Empire", "Jedi" and "Sith"?  And there is no "U" in any Star Wars movie except "Return of the Jedi"?