Re: i287 spoiler: Masks

  • sonofdoriangrey <dorian.grey@operamail.c
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 1, 2003
      --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "rainmandu2 <rainmandu@e...>" <rainmandu@e...> wrote:
      > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Gwa Kwlwlejk"
      > <yetofborg1@h...> wrote:
      > > >From: Steven Otte <flagator@g...>
      > > >Don't read if you haven't read your new issue yet...
      > > >..
      > > >.
      > > >.
      > > >.
      > > >.
      > > >.
      > > >.
      > > >..
      > > >The "mouse" mask Konigsberg wears isn't just a mouse, it's
      > a Maus, as in
      > > >the Art Speigelman comic about the Holocaust. Hardly the
      > best choice for
      > > >depicting a "tiny, timid, quivering" mouse. Is this just another
      > tribute
      > > >to a fellow self-publisher? Or perhaps something more... a
      > statement
      > > >about Konigsberg's
      > personality/circumstances/experiences/nature,
      > > >something Cerebus (as is shown by his "tiny, timid,
      > quivering"
      > > >statement) doesn't get? Or is it as simple as the fact that
      > Woody (and
      > > >presumably Konigsberg) are Jewish, and in Maus, the mice
      > were the Jews?
      > >
      > > Based on what Cerebus says about the blood-letting and
      > blood-drinking bits
      > > (in 281 especially, as I recall), it seems the Holocaust might be
      > "getting
      > > back" for all that Yoohwhoo-feeding. This would make
      > K'berg-The-Maus an
      > > innocent victim with a bad lineage. Yeah, I don't really get it
      > either, but
      > > I think that's about all I can make of it.
      > >
      > > >Thoughts?
      > > >
      > > >--
      > > >Steven Otte
      > > Daniel
      >
      > Well, Woody Allen stopped appearing in his films for a time in
      > the '80s, and the Soon-Yi "controversy" started around the time
      > he began turning up in his movies again, so maybe Dave is
      > referencing Woody's removing himself from the stage, and then
      > his return. Also, Kongisberg removes the mask, revealing
      > himself to be a "dirty old man." Which references the revelation
      > that Woody, himself, was (depending on your own personal point
      > of view) a "dirty old man." Anyone who likes "Manhattan" (and
      > thinks it's perhaps a clue as to Woody's "tastes") should see
      > "Husbands and Wives" (one of Woody's best films), which
      > includes an interesting "take" (all things considered) on the older
      > man / younger woman story.
      >
      > Rainmandu

      Something occured to me when I saw the mouse mask (or should I say maus?)
      Speigleman,Crumb, Woody....All artists who did their "best" work when they were single and then entered in to long term relationships/marriages.
      Is this another reference to the voids/Reads theory about women and artists.

      The last comment in this issue "...and he's really, really, really and truly in love... with Soigner?"
      "Lets put it this way. He BETTER be."
      Seems to insinuate to me that he just gave up the chance to do anything artistically worthwhile. (Woody has done films since then but the people who seem to care have grown fewer and fewer.)
    • Steven Otte
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 1, 2003
        sonofdoriangrey wrote:

        > The last comment in this issue "...and he's really, really, really
        > and truly in love... with Soigner?" "Lets put it this way. He
        > BETTER be." Seems to insinuate to me that he just gave up the
        > chance to do anything artistically worthwhile.

        I took that to mean, "He gave up his marriage and respectability to
        boink a girl less than half his age, and may have started doing so
        before she was legal... so he better really mean it."

        --
        Steven Otte
        flagator@... ... http://home.gate.net/~flagator
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 1, 2003
          > Well, Woody Allen stopped appearing in his films for a time in
          > the '80s, and the Soon-Yi "controversy" started around the time

          Did he? Not really. He made a film every year in the 80's (except
          for '81) and he didn't appear in the following: Purple Rose of Cairo
          (85), Radio Days (87, although he did narrate), September (87),
          Another Woman (88). So the longest non-appearance streak he had going
          was 2 years, 2.5 films (or generously, 3). Nothing meaningful can be
          inferred from this information besides maybe those particular scripts
          coincidentally didn't have any roles for him.

          -D
        • rainmandu2 <rainmandu@earthlink.net>
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 1, 2003
            --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Steven Otte <flagator@g...>
            wrote:
            > sonofdoriangrey wrote:
            >
            > > The last comment in this issue "...and he's really, really,
            really
            > > and truly in love... with Soigner?" "Lets put it this way. He
            > > BETTER be." Seems to insinuate to me that he just gave up
            the
            > > chance to do anything artistically worthwhile.
            >
            > I took that to mean, "He gave up his marriage and
            respectability to
            > boink a girl less than half his age, and may have started doing
            so
            > before she was legal... so he better really mean it."
            >
            > --
            > Steven Otte

            Yeah, I think that's what it means.

            Rainmandu
          • Steve Bolhafner <sbolhafner@yahoo.com>
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 1, 2003
              --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "sonofdoriangrey <dorian.grey@o...>"
              <dorian.grey@o...> wrote:

              > Something occured to me when I saw the mouse mask (or should I
              > say maus?)
              > Speigleman,Crumb, Woody....All artists who did their "best"
              > work when they were single and then entered in to long term
              > relationships/marriages.

              No. Positively, absolutely not. Art was with Francoise already when
              he started Maus. Maybe not married, but together. RAW started out as
              *her* idea that he was helping with.

              Steve Bolhafner