Dave Sim's blogandmail #140 (January 29th, 2007)

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007

      Dave Sim's Collected Letters Volume 2 will be released in late spring/early summer 2007. Until Dave (who currently has the flu) is feeling better – and to whet your appetite for the book! -- The Blog & Mail will run two-page excerpts from the manuscript each day.

      Today: Pages 59 & 60:

      Ray Earles

      16 June 04

      Dear Ray:

      Thanks for your letter of April 22 through June 7, inclusive. As you write in your opening sentence, "There is just too much news happening out there, all over the place, like some kind of incredible exploding elephant leaving a mess all over the living room." You are a most precocious individual. At your age of twenty-six, my only real interest in the world was where within it I was going to find my next bag of marijuana and how I was going to pay for it and then where I was going to find my next bed partner. It wasn't until my early forties when I was getting within shouting distance of being stone cold sober that I finally awoke to just what an intricate puzzle the world was in the current events category — and not until 9/11 that I started getting even a laughably cursory overview of the interlocking pieces. There is definitely a selection process that is on-going. As an example, yesterday I had my latest five questions from the Yahoo group to answer (a full day's work, done properly) and had therefore hoped that the mailbox would be as bare as Mother Hubbard's cupboard when I got there. Instead there were about seven letters including multi-page offerings from yourself, Sonny Strait and the first installment of D.B. Little's promised treatise on "people who mean well" in their worship of God. I returned to the studio and put my newspaper in the recycle box, virtually unread. And without regret, I might add, even given that we're in the middle of an election campaign up here. A very interesting assortment of input and ideas-on-view that I figured would be more interesting than the paper, and which proved to be the case.

      REPLY: your April 23 segment

      "Every moment away from reading the news, though, means more of the world slipped through my fingers and lost forever. You see, the news has a way of changing after it's first been reported."

      As I say, you are precocious. This is something that I never noticed until late in the day. The first major instance that I saw of it was one of the major anniversaries of the Kennedy assassination when PBS chose to rebroadcast CBS's file tapes of the entire day's news coverage starting at 1:30 ET when the network had first broken in with the news bulletin umpty-ump years before. What was interesting (among other things) was that about two hours in they had the first reports of Oswald being sought, but simultaneous with that they had another all-points bulletin for another fellow, whose whereabouts were of equal importance for a period of about forty minutes until word came in that J.D. Tippit had been shot. At which point, the other fellow vanished into the mists of hypothetical history and it was all Oswald from then on. Now, I used to have a major Kennedy assassination jones and used to own at least a half dozen books on the subject. I had never heard this fellow's name before and have never heard it since.

      "The further you get from the moment of impact, the more that is lost and replaced and lost and replaced again, until, are you even reading about the same thing — whatever happened all that time ago? No one seems to notice this; remember; or care much either, for that matter. For my part, it makes my hair turn white."

      Well, yes, certainly as, to a lesser degree, it does mine. There is a lot of vested interest at stake, particularly with television factored into the equation. Norman Mailer used to say, "Don't try to understand me too quickly." And, it seems to me, that that's a good working definition of television news: Because of the nature of the medium, it is compelled to understand things too quickly. In a way, Survivor is television seeing itself in Caliban's mirror. TV news is produced by "voting all other ideas off the island" on the assumption that that leaves you with the truth. Which is pretty funny. This whole outfit balanced on a single individual who sincerely wants millions of people to watch them do their job as bingo caller is charged with determining the nature of reality. Which is then conveyed to the unwashed masses in predigested two- and three-minute chunks. As an example, your letter is the first I'd heard of the Diebold electronic voting machine scandals — that Republicans have statistically swept traditionally set-in-stone-Democrat districts which have recently switched to Diebold electronic voting machines. It's certainly something to conjure with. The hanging chads of recent memory alone confirmed for me that we might be on to something here in Canada with our slips of paper, three-sided-cardboard-box on a card table "voting booths" and paper ballot on which we place an x with a futuristic device known as a pencil. Say what you will about the pencil, it is very difficult for the CIA to rig. My own view is that this is pretty typical of the Democrats, devoting a lot of time to finding a conspiracy theory to explain why they're losing elections instead of looking at the more obvious reasons: like the complete takeover of liberalism, leftist and centre-left politics by feminists who just keep moving further and further left.

      As Ronald Reagan once said, "I didn't leave the Democratic party — the Democratic party left me." The Democrats have chosen to become the pro-abortion, pro-gay marriage party, as have the Liberals in Canada. The pro-choice euphemism has been stripped away by ideological zealotry. The Democrats aren't, in practical terms, pro-choice, they're pro-abortion. Those are extremist views. They are only mainstream views to people who have voted all other viewpoints off the island and therefore only talk to each other. The island is getting smaller by the day.

      But, let me try to pull back to an overview situation: I quite agree that staying current with the news, being well-informed is an impossible task. The news is like our ever-expanding universe and like the sun, with interior elements breaking forth into the exterior and then subsiding into the interior to be replaced by other elements, all shifting...

      This may also be viewed at http://davesim.blogspot.com/

      If you wish to contact Dave Sim, you can mail a letter (he does NOT receive emails) to:

      Aardvark Vanaheim, Inc
      P.O. Box 1674
      Station C
      Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2G 4R2

      Looking for a place to purchase Cerebus phonebooks? You can do so online through Win-Mill Productions -- producers of Following Cerebus. Convenient payment with PayPal:

      http://spectrummagazines.bizland.com/cerebusgn.chtml

      Or, you can check out Mars Import:

      http://www.marsimport.com/display_series.php?ID=142

      Or ask your local retailer to order them for you through Diamond Comics distributors. Here are the Diamond Star System codes:

      Cerebus #1-25 $30.00 STAR00070

      High Society #26-50 $30.00 STAR00071

      Church and State I #52-80 $35.00 STAR00271

      Church and State II #81-111 $35.00 STAR00321

      Jaka's Story #114-136 $30.00 STAR00359

      Melmoth #139-150 $20.00 STAR00431

      Flight #151-162 $20.00 STAR00543

      Women #163-174 $20.00 STAR00849

      Reads #175-186 $20.00 STAR01063

      Minds #187-200 $20.00 STAR01916

      Guys #201-219 $25.00 STAR06972

      Rick's Story #220-231 $20.00 STAR08468

      Going Home I #232-250 $30.00 STAR10981

      Form and Void #251-265 $30.00 STAR13500

      Latter Days #266 - 288 $35.00 AUG031920

      The Last Day #289 - 300 $25.00 APR042189

      Collected Letters - $30 FEB052434

    • vjesus7734
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
        --- Dave Sim wrote:

        > But, let me try to pull back to an overview situation: I quite agree
        > that staying current with the news, being well-informed is an impossible
        > task. The news is like our ever-expanding universe and like the sun,
        > with interior elements breaking forth into the exterior and then
        > subsiding into the interior to be replaced by other elements, all
        > shifting...

        Dave went on to explain why it was essentially useless to try and keep
        up with the news. He identified my "news addiction" as further
        evidence of my leftist/feminist/liberal standing. He explained that
        "overview" is for God alone.

        Then he told me why I was a liberal because I concentrate on details
        and refuse to see the big picture.

        -sl
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
          --- vjesus7734 <stanley.lieber@...> wrote:

          > --- Dave Sim wrote:
          >
          > > But, let me try to pull back to an overview
          > situation: I quite agree
          > > that staying current with the news, being
          > well-informed is an impossible
          > > task. The news is like our ever-expanding universe
          > and like the sun,
          > > with interior elements breaking forth into the
          > exterior and then
          > > subsiding into the interior to be replaced by
          > other elements, all
          > > shifting...
          >
          > Dave went on to explain why it was essentially
          > useless to try and keep
          > up with the news. He identified my "news addiction"
          > as further
          > evidence of my leftist/feminist/liberal standing. He
          > explained that
          > "overview" is for God alone.
          >
          > Then he told me why I was a liberal because I
          > concentrate on details
          > and refuse to see the big picture.

          At the very least, you've got to admit that you're not
          on his team!

          TTM
          heh

          TV dinner still cooling?
          http://tv.yahoo.com/
        • vjesus7734
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 29, 2007
            --- Rick Sharer wrote:

            > > Then he told me why I was a liberal because I
            > > concentrate on details
            > > and refuse to see the big picture.
            >
            > At the very least, you've got to admit that you're not
            > on his team!

            "Overview is for God alone." -- Dave Sim

            Heh.

            -sl
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 30, 2007
              --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "vjesus7734" <stanley.lieber@...>
              wrote:

              > Dave went on to explain why it was essentially
              > useless to try and keep
              > up with the news. He identified my "news addiction" as further
              > evidence of my leftist/feminist/liberal standing. He explained that
              > "overview" is for God alone.
              >
              > Then he told me why I was a liberal because I concentrate on
              details
              > and refuse to see the big picture.

              This wasn't always the case, but somewhere after he read Scriptures,
              Dave seems to have settled on meanings of the terms such that:

              Conservative = God's team.
              Liberal = not God's team.

              Most of what he says makes a lot more sense if you realize that's
              what he means by the words. When he calls you a liberal, he doesn't
              mean you want to tax the rich to pay for social programs. He
              doesn't mean you want marijuana to be legal. He doesn't mean you
              feel sympathy for downtrodden minorities. He means you don't hand
              the steering wheel over to God.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 30, 2007
                --- vjesus7734 <stanley.lieber@...> wrote:

                > --- Rick Sharer wrote:
                >
                > > > Then he told me why I was a liberal because I
                > > > concentrate on details
                > > > and refuse to see the big picture.
                > >
                > > At the very least, you've got to admit that you're
                > not
                > > on his team!
                >
                > "Overview is for God alone." -- Dave Sim
                >
                > Heh.

                Your penance will not be pleasant!

                Never Miss an Email
              • Maincbs13@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 3, 2007
                  In a message dated 1/29/2007 6:17:16 PM Central Standard Time, stanley.lieber@... writes:
                  --- Dave Sim wrote:

                  > But, let me try to pull back to an overview situation: I quite agree
                  > that staying current with the news, being well-informed is an impossible
                  > task.
                  Especially if you refuse to read anything of value regarding the "current" news.
                  The news is like our ever-expanding universe and like the sun,
                  The news is a listing of current events happening

                  > with interior elements breaking forth into the exterior and then
                  > subsiding into the interior to be replaced by other elements, all
                  > shifting...
                  all taking their place in a time line of other events (Just because the Maple Leafs lost last week and won this week doesn't mean that they "shifted" realities in the past and actually WON last week).

                  What Dave is describing as "news" and what happens to news once it has happened is more in line with what happens when you read scripture all. the. time. and try to relate the story of Job to global warming. THAT is called interpretive analysis of scripture and has nothing to do with the news or current events.

                  Dave went on to explain why it was essentially useless to try and keep
                  up with the news. He identified my "news addiction" as further
                  evidence of my leftist/feminist/liberal standing. He explained that
                  "overview" is for God alone.
                  And how in the world did he claim evidence of that "overview?" It is Dave's "overview" that God alone can have an overview???????????! ... about current news? Where in triple eff-word (with some "ities" on the end of the first two fucks) does the overview of liberals being bad and conservatives being good come from. Jesus, Mohammed and most of the "old school/testament" prophets were almost all considered liberal visionaries during their current times. In religious history the people who have been proved wrong are the Pharisees, Catholic heirarchy and "old school-conservative" muslim scholars that caused the Shiia Sunni split. Wahabi's are "old school" conservative types.

                  Then he told me why I was a liberal because I concentrate on details
                  and refuse to see the big picture.
                  How can you see the big picture as anything other than an indistinguishable blob if you only "see the big picture?"

                  -sl
                  Bryan