Dave Sim's blogandmail SPECIAL: 2006 Day Prize Finalists announced!

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 24, 2007

      The Howard E. Day Memorial Prize

      While laying flat on his back, sick in bed, Dave Sim has decreed the following comics have made the

       2006 Day Prize Finalists

      Abominable
      Lunchbreak Comics
      Pat Lewis
      5326 5th Ave. #24
      Pittsburgh PA 15232
      http://www.lunchbreakcomics.com/
      $5.00

      Beaver
      Eight Ball Graphics
      Jim Coon
      174 Madison St.
      Cortland NY 13045
      Ebg.bizhosting.com
      $2.00

      Being Different
      Michelle Arcand
      434 Colorado Ave.
      Kansas City MO 64124
      $1.00

       Chemistry-Comic & CD Soundtrack
      Awakening Comics
      Steve Peters
      17 N. York Rd. #3
      Willow Grove PA 19090
      http://www.awakeningcomics.com/
      $3.00-Comic
      CD-$7.00
      Both-$8.00

       Guitar Solo
      Mike Dawson
      17 Berkeley Pl #2R
      Brooklyn NY 11217
      mikedawsoncomics.com
      $3.00

      One Horse Town
      Lunchbreak Comics
      Pat Lewis
      5326 5th Ave. #24
      Pittsburgh PA 15232
      http://www.lunchbreakcomics.com/
      $2.00

      Potlatch #5 "Too Much Matheson"
      Angry Dog Press
      Chad Lambert-writer
      Tom Williams-artist
      2982 Calusa Dr.
      Hamilton OH 45011
      Possumatlarge.com

      angrydogpress.net
      $6.95

       Under the Midnight Sun Dusty Neal- Artist
      Christopher Studabaker-Writer
      2708 South County Home Rd.
      Bluffton IN 46714
      chiristopherstudabaker@...

      Past Day Prize Recipients

      2005

      The Lone and Level Sand by A. David Lewis & mp Mann / Caption Box  www.caption box.net

      A retelling of the story of Moses and Aaron from the Pharaoh's side.  Gorgeous front and back covers and a spare graphic style neatly complement this austere treatment that "tells the story of a man trying to rule wisely, love his family well, and deal justly in the face of a divine wrath."

      $9.95 (plus $5 s&h)

      2004

      Owly: The Way Home by Andy Runton
      Andy Runton- Artist, Writer
      5502 East Wind Dr.
      Lilburn GA 30047
      www.andyrunton.com
      $6.00

      2003

      Askari Hodari

      #3 by Glenn Brewer

      Glenn Brewer
      427 Oak St. Apt. #B1
      Columbus OH 43215

      www.askarihodari.com

      $3.00

      2002

      Misa

      by Tom Williams
      Inkblot Farm Studio
      Tom Williams
      730 Riverview Dr. Apt. #C7
      Columbus OH 43202
      www.Opencrashcomics.com
      $4.50

      2001

      Faith: A Fable by

      Bill Knapp

      Carbon-Based Books
      1270 Jackson Avenue
      Lakewood, Ohio
      44107
      bknapp1@...
      http://www.carbonbasedbooks.com
      (ten dollars and twenty five cents)

      For more information on the Day Prize (including a full list of past winners and nominees) and the annual SPACE Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo happening April 21-22 in Columbus, OH please visit:

      http://www.backporchcomics.com/aboutdayprize.htm

      http://www.backporchcomics.com/space.htm

    • ctowner1@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 24, 2007
        On 1/24/07, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:

        The Howard E. Day Memorial Prize

        2001

        Faith: A Fable by

        Bill Knapp

        Carbon-Based Books
        1270 Jackson Avenue
        Lakewood, Ohio
        44107
        bknapp1@...
        http://www.carbonbasedbooks.com
        (ten dollars and twenty five cents)>>

        I didn't realize "Faith" was a Day prize winner. I actually picked this up a few years ago based on a TCJ recommendation (I think).  Haven't gotten around to reading it yet!

        L nny

      • Matt Dow
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 25, 2007
          On 1/24/07, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:

          The Howard E. Day Memorial Prize

          While laying flat on his back, sick in bed, Dave Sim has decreed the following comics have made the

           2006 Day Prize Finalists

          Being Different
          Michelle Arcand
          434 Colorado Ave.
          Kansas City MO 64124
          $1.00

          Heh. I traded a copy of Racecar Comics#2 for this.

          For more information on the Day Prize (including a full list of past winners and nominees) and the annual SPACE Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo happening April 21-22 in Columbus, OH please visit:

          http://www.backporchcomics.com/aboutdayprize.htm

          http://www.backporchcomics.com/space.htm

          Matt

          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 25, 2007
            --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow" <mouseskull@...> wrote:

            > > * 2006 Day Prize Finalists*
            > >

            > > Being Different
            > > Michelle Arcand
            > > 434 Colorado Ave.
            > > Kansas City MO 64124
            > > $1.00
            > >

            > Heh. I traded a copy of Racecar Comics#2 for this.

            Ok, I must be dense. Are the Day Pize nominees *always* issues that
            have been previously on sale? I was psyched for two new Pat Lewis
            comics before I realized I already have both of them.

            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 25, 2007
              The following is the corrected contact information for the creators of
              Day Prize short list nominee "Under The Midnight Sun":

              Under the Midnight Sun
              Christopher Studabaker - Writer
              Dusty Neal - Artist
              8810 Arbor Lake Court, Apt. 1115
              Indianapolis, IN 46268
              chris@...
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 26, 2007
                --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <larrytheillini@...> wrote:

                > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow" <mouseskull@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > * 2006 Day Prize Finalists*
                > > >

                > > > Being Different
                > > > Michelle Arcand
                > > > 434 Colorado Ave.
                > > > Kansas City MO 64124
                > > > $1.00
                > > >

                > > Heh. I traded a copy of Racecar Comics#2 for this.
                > >

                > Ok, I must be dense. Are the Day Pize nominees *always* issues
                that
                > have been previously on sale? I was psyched for two new Pat Lewis
                > comics before I realized I already have both of them.
                >
                > - Larry Hart

                ----------- Were they both new at *last year's* SPACE? Because the
                awards are for the previous year's releases. Was something nominated
                from 2 years ago?

                -Jeff
              • ctowner1@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 26, 2007
                  On 1/25/07, Larry <larrytheillini@...> wrote:
                  > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow" <mouseskull@...> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > * 2006 Day Prize Finalists*
                  > > >

                  > > > Being Different
                  > > > Michelle Arcand
                  > > > 434 Colorado Ave.
                  > > > Kansas City MO 64124
                  > > > $1.00
                  > > >

                  > > Heh. I traded a copy of Racecar Comics#2 for this.
                  > >

                  > Ok, I must be dense. Are the Day Pize nominees *always* issues that
                  > have been previously on sale? I was psyched for two new Pat Lewis
                  > comics before I realized I already have both of them.
                  >
                  > - Larry Hart>>

                  The current SPACE honors the best small press comics of the previous
                  year (b/c the year in which the SPACE is held isn't over). So to the
                  extent the artists complete their work in the early part of the year,
                  BEFORE SPACE, then you'll see that work during SPACE, even though it
                  won't be up for nomination until the following year's SPACE.

                  I bought both of those Pat Lewis comics at last year's SPACE as well.
                  I was checking out his website - he has some REALLY cool drawings
                  their - he's such a talented guy. I didn't notice any new comics
                  though (but may have overlooked). But perhaps by April he'll have
                  something new.

                  L nny
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 27, 2007
                    --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Tundis" <jctundis@...> wrote:

                    > > Ok, I must be dense. Are the Day Pize nominees *always* issues
                    > > that
                    > > have been previously on sale? I was psyched for two new Pat Lewis
                    > > comics before I realized I already have both of them.
                    > >

                    > ----------- Were they both new at *last year's* SPACE? Because the
                    > awards are for the previous year's releases. Was something nominated
                    > from 2 years ago?

                    I don't know which were new and which weren't, but I believe there
                    were two Pat Lewis comics at last year's SPACE that I hadn't read
                    before.

                    I've been checking out the nominees at each year's SPACE without
                    realizing that each had been there the previous year.

                    - Larry Hart
                  • ctowner1@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 27, 2007
                      On 1/27/07, Larry <larrytheillini@...> wrote:
                      > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Tundis" <jctundis@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Ok, I must be dense. Are the Day Pize nominees *always* issues
                      > > > that
                      > > > have been previously on sale? I was psyched for two new Pat Lewis
                      > > > comics before I realized I already have both of them.
                      > > >

                      > > ----------- Were they both new at *last year's* SPACE? Because the
                      > > awards are for the previous year's releases. Was something nominated
                      > > from 2 years ago?
                      > >

                      > I don't know which were new and which weren't, but I believe there
                      > were two Pat Lewis comics at last year's SPACE that I hadn't read
                      > before.
                      >
                      > I've been checking out the nominees at each year's SPACE without
                      > realizing that each had been there the previous year.
                      >
                      > - Larry Hart>>

                      The 2 Pat Lweis works nominated this year, Abominable & One Horse
                      Town, were new at last year's SPACE. I'm sure of that b/c I had
                      bought all his other stuff the year before (which were also
                      excellent).

                      I don't know that I saw all of the other nominees' work at last year's
                      SPACE - so don't know if they were done before or after SPACE.

                      L nny

                      L nny
                    • Margaret
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 27, 2007
                        On 1/24/07, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:

                        The Howard E. Day Memorial Prize

                        While laying flat on his back, sick in bed, Dave Sim has decreed the following comics have made the

                         2006 Day Prize Finalists

                        Beaver
                        Eight Ball Graphics
                        Jim Coon
                        174 Madison St.
                        Cortland NY 13045
                        Ebg.bizhosting.com
                        $2.00

                        Beaver! oh my. How did I miss this one last year?

                        Sample page:

                        --
                        Take care,
                        Margaret
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 27, 2007
                          On 1/27/07, Margaret <cerebusfangirl@...> wrote:

                          On 1/24/07, Jeff Tundis <jctundis@... > wrote:

                          The Howard E. Day Memorial Prize

                          While laying flat on his back, sick in bed, Dave Sim has decreed the following comics have made the

                           2006 Day Prize Finalists

                          Beaver
                          Eight Ball Graphics
                          Jim Coon
                          174 Madison St.
                          Cortland NY 13045
                          Ebg.bizhosting.com
                          $2.00

                          Beaver! oh my. How did I miss this one last year?

                          Sample page:

                          --
                          Take care,
                          Margaret>>

                          I can hardly wait to see the 2 page spread... ;^P

                          L nny

                        • Matt Dow

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 27, 2007
                              On 1/27/07, Matt Dow <mouseskull@...> wrote:

                              hahahaha!

                              ohhh, my. I love wynona's big brown beaver. thats a great . . .song. yeah, great song.

                              --
                              Take care,
                              Margaret
                              http://www.cerebusfangirl.com
                            • Chris W
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 28, 2007

                                <http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=5131378>

                                > > --
                                > > Take care,
                                > > Margaret>>
                                > >

                                > I can hardly wait to see the 2 page spread... ;^P

                                > L nny

                                I got that one last year. I quite enjoyed Beaver,
                                carefully opening it, and examining it closely.
                                Didn't taste that good, but you get used to that.

                                I didn't like the mylar bag though, it really cut down
                                on the enjoyable sensation.

                                Looking for earth-friendly autos?
                                http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/