[Spoiler] Further discussion on the end of 259

  • Okun, Mitch
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2000
      * If it's not a dream, what to make of the bottom row of panels on the last
      * page? While dave's graphic storytelling gets more and more gonzo, it seems
      * me that it indicates the skewed reality of dreamtime straightening itself
      * out, ending with Cerebus's eye-opening/waking up in bed. I think
      everything
      * from him getting out of the tent is a dream. But I could be wrong, Dave is

      * sometimes hard to read.

      Well .. I don't think that's Cerebus "sleeping attire" in the last page. If
      you go back to the first page, you see his mouth covered with his sweater,
      in a similar manner to the final panel you're referring to. Cerebus is
      getting out of bed on pg 559, and it shows him putting on his pants (which
      in itself is funny, after all these years of running around without them),
      but it sure looks like he's coming out of the sleeping bag nude. I don't
      think he'd be packed into the sleeping bag with it so constraining around
      his mouth .. I think what we're looking at in the last panel is Cerebus,
      still taken aback, perhaps the next morning. He obviously hasn't slept: the
      illustration in his eyes is one of exhaustion (the veins like look) rather
      than his usual "I'm going cuckoo here..." (the extra rings shown on the
      panels above).

      Unfortunately, I see no other end for Ham's tale. Dave is obviously
      not writing these characters with any 'cure' or 'redemption' in mind .. Ham
      and Mary seem pretty poisonous to me, and I don't see how the story can
      move forward without some sort of negative dramatic event (such as the one
      we've seen) occurring. I'll tell ya what .. the first thing I did
      after I read 259 was go online and do a little research to confirm my memory
      and see if this was, in fact, Hemingway's end as well. I of course then
      got involved in reading some more info on Poppa. Perhaps that's what Dave
      is trying to get out of all of us.

      Does anyone know Swahili well enough to know whats being said on
      562-563 before Dave catches up in the Notes and tells us?

      And the double spread would be absolutely BEAUTIFUL ... if not for
      the fact that you can see Cerebus' mouth on both sides on the back of his
      head!! That has been so distracting to me that I can't truly appreciate
      Ger's forest scene. =(
    • Nachimir
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
        Hi.

        Okun, Mitch wrote:

        >And the double spread would be absolutely BEAUTIFUL ... if not for
        >the fact that you can see Cerebus' mouth on both sides on the back of his
        >head!! That has been so distracting to me that I can't truly
        appreciate
        >Ger's forest scene. =(

        Has anyone noticed that the cloud is actually a thunder-head? I seem to
        remember that they're trying to beat the winter storms...

        --
        Nachimir
        web: http://www.eccentrix.com/personal/nachimir/
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2000
          * Has anyone noticed that the cloud is actually a thunder-head? I seem to
          * remember that they're trying to beat the winter storms...

          Good Point Nachimir .. I did kind of take the cloud to be a storm (obvious
          indications aside), but I forgot about the possible implications of Cerebus
          & Jaka getting stuck "in the wilderness" when Winter officially hits.
          Storms of many kinds on their way for the last 6 issues, evidently ...

          - Mitch