Dave Sim's blogandmail #80 (November 30th, 2006)

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 30 10:34 AM

      The Mystery of STAROO Revealed!

      STAROO is something that I have a lot of pride in: the fact that of the seventeen volumes Aardvark Vanaheim has on the Diamond Star System, eight of them start with the "Double Zero" designation, STAR 00, because they were early additions to the Star System when Diamond was starting it up in the early 90s (the lowest number is the Cerebus TPb which is designated STAR0070!)

      Every once in a while, I'm just going to run all of the Diamond order codes for the Cerebus Trades for an entire week.

      If you're a retailer, I hope you'll take it as a friendly reminder during "Listing Week" to take a few minutes to go and check your shelves and see if any of the trades are missing and order them from DIAMOND while you're still thinking about it. The Trades sell a lot better when you have them all in stock than they do when there's just volumes 2, 4, 7, 10, 11 and 16 sitting there.

      If you're a potential customer I hope you'll use Listing Week to call the Comic Shop Locator Service

      888-COMIC-BOOK

      OR CLICK ON

      comicshoplocator.com

      and find out where the comic book stores are in your area

      and if they don't have a volume you want in stock, you can give them the Star System order code right over the phone!

      VOL.1 CEREBUS…………………….STAR0070

      VOL.2 HIGH SOCIETY……………..STAR0071

      VOL.3 CHURCH & STATE I……...STAR00271

      VOL.4 CHURCH & STATE II.........STAR00322

      VOL.5 JAKAS STORY………….....STAR00359

      VOL.6 MELMOTH…........................STAR00431

      VOL.7 FLIGHT……………………..STAR00543

      VOL.8 WOMEN…………………….STAR00849

      VOL.9 READS………………………STAR01063

      VOL.10 MINDS……………………..STAR01916

      VOL.11 GUYS………………………STAR06972

      VOL.12 RICKS STORY……………STAR08468

      VOL.13 GOING HOME……………STAR10981

      VOL.14 FORM & VOID…………..STAR13500

      VOL.15 LATTER DAYS………….AUGO31920

      VOL.16 THE LAST DAY………….APRO42189

      COLLECTED LETTERS 2004…….FEBO52434

      Thursday November 30 -

      Hey! Speaking of don't you LOVE TwoMorrows publishing—I got to Al Nickerson's letter of October 29 where he mentions that he's writing an article for Back Issue magazine about the early issues of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and wondered if he could interview me about Turtles #8. So, his phone number is right there. It's 9:30 on a Friday night and where is an enterprising young comic-book inker going to be at 9:30 on a Friday night? You guessed it. Right next to the phone. "Hi, Al. Do you want to do the interview right now?" "Have you got the questions?" "Yeah, I've got them right here." "Okay [BEEP!] I'm recording." You can see how much or how little he uses of it in March of 2007 or so ("Those guys work pretty far ahead"). Got off the phone and went, "Hang on. Back Issue. That's TwoMorrows Publishing as well, isn't it?" And went and checked and sure enough.

      TwoMorrows Publishing. Everyone LOVES them and they're taking over the world.

      Al also sent a very long letter that Steve Bissette posted to the Creators' Bill of Rights discussion group. I'll admit that I probably had very little idea of what I was talking about…and what I was mostly talking about was how "Those a—holes in Vermont" (in Jim Valentino's immortal phrase which is far more affectionate on my part than I think it was on Jim's part when he delivered it back in the 1963 dust-up time period) looked to me from hundreds of miles away than how they actually were.

      I was struck this time by Steve's reminder that his divorce lawyer had told him not to do anything but work-made-for-hire until his divorce settlement was finalized. I don't know if that was, indirectly, the straw that broke the camel's back but it certainly seems like a skuzzy—though financially sensible—thing to tell an artist to do. If he had told me that part before, it hadn't registered. Obviously I think that we would live in a much better society if creative freedom wasn't specifically targeted by family law in that way…and I can understand that Steve's priorities were different from my own.

      This is really all I'm going to say on the subject: two things 1) I hope Steve does Tyrant again someday 2) Danny and Maia are great kids.

      Oliver Simonsen, the 3D Animated Cerebus film guy, sent a nice letter October 17:

      Hi Dave,

      I think I speak for all of us when I say we are really excited to be working on such an amazing character: We are all honoured and grateful and hope to make this a truly amazing 3D cartoon. We've gotten some really useful feedback from the fans [he means you guys and Margaret] and we are really glad they are on board so far. Jeff seems like a great guy, and his support means the world to us. We are looking forward to seeing the website he's building for us, and his voice is made for voice-overs which will only elevate our cartoon.

      There isn't a whole lot to report—like being a writer and/or illustrator it takes a lot of patience.

      Oliver

      Thanks, Oliver. I'm glad that we could reach an understanding which means that there will be a degree of quality control without my having to be involved with it until the ultimate thumbs up or thumbs down. It's very possible we're making history here and that wouldn't have happened without your vision and determination. Your 13-year-old son has every right to be 100% proud of his old man and I'm sure that will always be the case.

      Tomorrow: wrapping up the mail

      This may also be viewed at http://davesim.blogspot.com/

      If you wish to contact Dave Sim, you can mail a letter (he does NOT receive emails) to:

      Aardvark Vanaheim, Inc
      P.O. Box 1674
      Station C
      Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2G 4R2

      Looking for a place to purchase Cerebus phonebooks? You can do so online through Win-Mill Productions -- producers of Following Cerebus. Convenient payment with PayPal:

      http://spectrummagazines.bizland.com/cerebusgn.chtml

      Or, you can check out Mars Import:

      http://www.marsimport.com/display_series.php?ID=142

      Or ask your local retailer to order them for you through Diamond Comics distributors.

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 30 12:23 PM
        --- Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:

        [Dave says]
        > Thanks, Oliver. I'm glad that we could reach an
        > understanding which
        > means that there will be a degree of quality control
        > without my having
        > to be involved with it until the ultimate thumbs up
        > or thumbs down.

        I don't exactly why this sentence cracks me up so
        much, but it certainly does.

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 30 12:38 PM
          --- Rick Sharer <rlsharer@...> wrote:

          > --- Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:
          >
          > [Dave says]
          > > Thanks, Oliver. I'm glad that we could reach an
          > > understanding which
          > > means that there will be a degree of quality
          > control
          > > without my having
          > > to be involved with it until the ultimate thumbs
          > up
          > > or thumbs down.
          >
          > I don't exactly why this sentence cracks me up so
          > much, but it certainly does.

          Heh, this one cracks me up, too!

          TTM
          :)

          http://new.mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 30 1:16 PM
            --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer <rlsharer@...> wrote:

            > --- Rick Sharer <rlsharer@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I don't exactly why this sentence cracks me up so
            > > much, but it certainly does.
            >
            > Heh, this one cracks me up, too!
            >
            > TTM
            > :)

            Responding to your own post is incestuous. Laughing at your own wit
            doubly so.

            - Larry Hart (just sayin')
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 30 1:36 PM
              --- Larry <larrytheillini@...> wrote:

              > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer
              > <rlsharer@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > --- Rick Sharer <rlsharer@...> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I don't exactly why this sentence cracks me up
              > so
              > > > much, but it certainly does.
              > >
              > > Heh, this one cracks me up, too!
              > >
              > > TTM
              > > :)
              > >

              > Responding to your own post is incestuous. Laughing
              > at your own wit
              > doubly so.
              >
              > - Larry Hart (just sayin')

              Actually I was laughing at my own error of leaving out
              a word. Which made the irony come full circle...or at
              least penultimate circle.

              http://new.mail.yahoo.com
            • Jeff Seiler
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 30 1:49 PM
                --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer <rlsharer@...> wrote:

                > --- Larry <larrytheillini@...> wrote:
                >
                > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer
                > > <rlsharer@> wrote:

                > > so
                > > >
                > > > Heh, this one cracks me up, too!
                > > >
                > > > TTM
                > > > :)
                > > >

                > > Responding to your own post is incestuous. Laughing
                > > at your own wit
                > > doubly so.
                > >
                > > - Larry Hart (just sayin')
                >
                > Actually I was laughing at my own error of leaving out
                > a word. Which made the irony come full circle...or at
                > least penultimate circle.
                >
                > TTM

                -----Man, sometimes I wanna take some of youse out back of the
                woodshed and hit you with a stick until your penultimate squirm.

                Slambo (who means that in the best possible way)
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 30 2:00 PM
                  --- Jeff Seiler <seilerjeff@...> wrote:

                  > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer
                  > <rlsharer@...> wrote:
                  > >

                  > > --- Larry <larrytheillini@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer

                  > up
                  > > > so

                  > > > Responding to your own post is incestuous.
                  > Laughing
                  > > > at your own wit
                  > > > doubly so.
                  > > >
                  > > > - Larry Hart (just sayin')
                  > >
                  > > Actually I was laughing at my own error of leaving
                  > out
                  > > a word. Which made the irony come full
                  > circle...or at
                  > > least penultimate circle.
                  > >
                  > > TTM
                  >
                  > -----Man, sometimes I wanna take some of youse out
                  > back of the
                  > woodshed and hit you with a stick until your
                  > penultimate squirm.
                  >
                  > Slambo (who means that in the best possible way)

                  It sounds like there are a few people on this list
                  with Penultimate Envy.

                  http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                • Jeff Seiler
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 30 2:13 PM
                    --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer <rlsharer@...> wrote:

                    > --- Jeff Seiler <seilerjeff@...> wrote:
                    > > -----Man, sometimes I wanna take some of youse out
                    > > back of the
                    > > woodshed and hit you with a stick until your
                    > > penultimate squirm.
                    > >
                    > > Slambo (who means that in the best possible way)
                    >
                    > It sounds like there are a few people on this list
                    > with Penultimate Envy.
                    >
                    > TTM

                    -----(casting the evil eye from above in the specific direction of
                    the 22nd congressional district)

                    Better watch out or I'll start and (nearly) end with you. And I can
                    think of at least one person here who would gladly join in.

                    Slambo (a.k.a., Dictionary Boy)
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 30 2:56 PM
                      --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Seiler" <seilerjeff@...> wrote:

                      > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer <rlsharer@> wrote:
                      > >

                      > > --- Jeff Seiler <seilerjeff@> wrote:
                      > > > -----Man, sometimes I wanna take some of youse out
                      > > > back of the
                      > > > woodshed and hit you with a stick until your
                      > > > penultimate squirm.
                      > > >
                      > > > Slambo (who means that in the best possible way)
                      > >
                      > > It sounds like there are a few people on this list
                      > > with Penultimate Envy.
                      > >
                      > > TTM
                      >
                      > -----(casting the evil eye from above in the specific direction of
                      > the 22nd congressional district)
                      >
                      > Better watch out or I'll start and (nearly) end with you. And I
                      can
                      > think of at least one person here who would gladly join in.
                      >
                      > Slambo (a.k.a., Dictionary Boy)

                      ---------- Was that your penultimate warning? Or does he get one
                      more shot in?

                      -Jeff
                    • oliver_simonsen
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 1, 2006
                          --- Jeff Seiler <seilerjeff@...> wrote:

                          > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Rick Sharer
                          > <rlsharer@...> wrote:
                          > >

                          > > --- Jeff Seiler <seilerjeff@...> wrote:
                          > > > -----Man, sometimes I wanna take some of youse
                          > out
                          > > > back of the
                          > > > woodshed and hit you with a stick until your
                          > > > penultimate squirm.
                          > > >
                          > > > Slambo (who means that in the best possible way)
                          > >
                          > > It sounds like there are a few people on this list
                          > > with Penultimate Envy.
                          > >
                          > > TTM
                          >
                          > -----(casting the evil eye from above in the
                          > specific direction of
                          > the 22nd congressional district)
                          >
                          > Better watch out or I'll start and (nearly) end with
                          > you. And I can
                          > think of at least one person here who would gladly
                          > join in.

                          Chris Johnson?

                          TTM
                          har!

                          Cheap talk?
                          http://voice.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 17, 2006

                            > Hey! Speaking of don't you LOVE TwoMorrows publishing—I got to
                            > Al Nickerson's letter of October 29 where he mentions that he's
                            > writing an article for Back Issue magazine about the early issues
                            of the
                            > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and wondered if he could interview me
                            about
                            > Turtles #8. So, his phone number is right there. It's 9:30 on a
                            > Friday night and where is an enterprising young comic-book inker
                            going
                            > to be at 9:30 on a Friday night? You guessed it. Right next to the
                            > phone. "Hi, Al. Do you want to do the interview right now?" "Have
                            you
                            > got the questions?" "Yeah, I've got them right here." "Okay [BEEP!]
                            > I'm recording." You can see how much or how little he uses of it in
                            > March of 2007 or so ("Those guys work pretty far ahead"). Got off
                            the
                            > phone and went, "Hang on. Back Issue. That's TwoMorrows Publishing
                            > as well, isn't it?" And went and checked and sure enough.
                            >
                            > TwoMorrows Publishing. Everyone LOVES them and they're taking over
                            > the world.

                            --------- Catching up. Here's an email I got from Al:

                            "The TMNT article featured in BACK ISSUE #22 (the "Dynamic
                            Duos") issue ships mid-May 2007. Sorry for any confusion.

                            I am too busy for fun. I think my party days may be over. :)"

                            --------- So put it on your calendars, folks:)