Dave Sim's blogandmail #73 (November 23rd 2006)

    Message 1 of 29 , Nov 23 9:10 AM

      Thursday November 23 –

      The Mystery of STAROO Revealed!

        STAROO is something that I have a lot of pride in: the fact that of the seventeen volumes Aardvark Vanaheim has on the Diamond Star System, eight of them start with the "Double Zero" designation, STAR 00, because they were early additions to the Star System when Diamond was starting it up in the early 90s (the lowest number is the Cerebus TPb which is designated STAR0070!)

      Every once in a while, I'm just going to run all of the Diamond order codes for the Cerebus Trades for an entire week.

      If you're a retailer, I hope you'll take it as a friendly reminder during  "Listing Week" to take a few minutes to go and check your shelves and see if any of the trades are missing and order them from DIAMOND while you're still thinking about it.  The Trades sell a lot better when you have them all in stock than they do when there's just volumes 2, 4, 7, 10, 11 and 16 sitting there.

      If you're a potential customer I hope you'll use Listing Week to call the Comic Shop Locator Service

      888-COMIC-BOOK

      OR CLICK ON

      comicshoplocator.com

      and find out where the comic book stores are in your area

      and if they don't have a volume you want in stock, you can give them the Star System order code right over the phone!

      VOL.1 CEREBUS…………………….STAR0070

      VOL.2 HIGH SOCIETY……………..STAR0071

       VOL.3 CHURCH & STATE I……...STAR00271

      VOL.4 CHURCH & STATE II.........STAR00322

      VOL.5 JAKAS STORY………….....STAR00359

      VOL.6 MELMOTH…........................STAR00431

      VOL.7 FLIGHT……………………..STAR00543

      VOL.8 WOMEN…………………….STAR00849

      VOL.9 READS………………………STAR01063

      VOL.10 MINDS……………………..STAR01916

      VOL.11 GUYS………………………STAR06972

      VOL.12 RICKS STORY……………STAR08468

      VOL.13 GOING HOME……………STAR10981

      VOL.14 FORM & VOID…………..STAR13500

      VOL.15 LATTER DAYS………….AUGO31920

      VOL.16 THE LAST DAY………….APRO42189

                          COLLECTED LETTERS 2004…….FEBO52434

            A review of Steve Ditko's 160 Page Package.  I have to admit that I completely bypassed this one when it came out and I doubt I ever would have picked it up if Sandeep Atwal hadn't brought it over.  Best known for his work on Spider-man (the first 38 issues) and Dr. Strange, I first knew his work at DC on The Creeper and The Hawk & Dove both of which I bought off the newsstand back in the late 1960s (Hawk & Dove are probably overdue for a revival since the US victory and/or defeat—depending on your perspective—in Iraq). His Moral Absolutist themed work, Mr. A and The Question tended to leave me cold because of my liberalism back in the day when I was a liberal.  Beautifully drawn but just too severe in (repeatedly) hitting that shrill high note of Moral Absolutism. I really think a definitive Mr.A volume is called for at some point but I have no idea what Mr. Ditko would think of the idea.  I hope he's in good health and I hope he still has strong connections with Robin Snyder (who published this book) and others who either share his philosophy or whom he trusts with his legacy and that there exists filing cabinets or at least A filing cabinet with correspondence and notes on his various creations and so on. And, of course, I sincerely hope that he isn't a Franz Kafka type who wants everything destroyed when he dies or that Robin Snyder (or whoever would be charged with the task) would just ignore the instruction if that was the case, as Kafka's executor did.

            Mr. Ditko and I tend to get lumped together in The Comics Journal's context and we were the first two candidates to be subjected to their murderous roundtable (the multiplicity of reviewers allowing for a dramatically magnified version of the standard Comics Journal ratio of nine parts literary homicide to one part grudging admiration—Alan Moore just went through it with Lost Girls) but, personally, I've always felt more a kinship in the sense of "to thine own self be true".  There are any number of roads that Steve Ditko might have taken from the decision to quit Spider-man just as it was going through its first wave of near-phenomenon stature.  You can fault his decisions if you want (and many do—they want their Ditko Spider-man) but the fact that he ended up doing what he thought was right—both on the printed page and in his personal life—and suffered the career and income consequences of that—in my eyes marks him out for Greatness.  Between the time he left Spider-man and when he (finally!) got the big payday with the release of the first Spider-man film you would be hard-pressed to see any point where he compromised with his personal sense of right and wrong.  It would be nice if that on-going process could be documented someday.  He's also one of comic books' greatest mystery men (Ghastly Graham Ingels was a distant second).  The extent of that mystery can be conveyed by the fact that it wouldn't surprise me if he possesses every scrap of paper related to his career back to the 1940s and it wouldn't surprise me if he regularly purges his own past and has one neat folder that contains only twelve sheets of paper that have survived those purges.  Obviously in either case, whatever he has on hand would be of profound interest, particularly to comic-book fans of the Baby Boom generation who were weaned on Marvel Comics.  I just loaned Sandeep Ken Viola's Masters of Comic Book Art videotape which both Mr. Ditko and I are on

      Sandeep: He's actually got him on tape?!

      Me: Just the audio, he wouldn't allow Ken to film him.

          There's a good example.  Who else would draw that distinction between audio and visual recording?  As I recall it took a lot of negotiating.  Ken had known Mr. Ditko for years and was one of the (handful? dozens? Hundreds?) who regularly visited (visits?) him or attempted (attempts?) to visit him.  That he would even allow Ken to record his voice was a signal honour for those of us familiar with the Ditko Legend.  There was trust there, at least of a kind. Did that trust survive the recording or survive Mr. Ditko's first viewing of Ken's film?  All interesting questions, circling warily around the central mystery of Steve Ditko.

      There's MORE FOR YOU

      In TODAY'S

      BLOG &….MAAAAILLL

      This may also be viewed at http://davesim.blogspot.com/

      If you wish to contact Dave Sim, you can mail a letter (he does NOT receive emails) to:

      Aardvark Vanaheim, Inc
      P.O. Box 1674
      Station C
      Kitchener, Ontario, Canada N2G 4R2

      Looking for a place to purchase Cerebus phonebooks? You can do so online through Win-Mill Productions -- producers of Following Cerebus. Convenient payment with PayPal:

      http://spectrummagazines.bizland.com/cerebusgn.chtml

      Or, you can check out Mars Import:

      http://www.marsimport.com/display_series.php?ID=142

      Or ask your local retailer to order them for you through Diamond Comics distributors.

    • Matt Dow
      Message 2 of 29 , Nov 23 1:36 PM
        On 11/23/06, Dave Sim<dsim@...> wrote:

        Thursday November 23 –

        The Mystery of STAROO Revealed!

          STAROO is something that I have a lot of pride in: the fact that of the seventeen volumes Aardvark Vanaheim has on the Diamond Star System, eight of them start with the "Double Zero" designation, STAR 00, because they were early additions to the Star System when Diamond was starting it up in the early 90s (the lowest number is the Cerebus TPb which is designated STAR0070!)

        Okay, who called Diamond as Staroo?  Larry?  Well whoever, you win.

        I dunno what you win, um, how about...a pony.  Yeah, you win a pony.  E-mail your address and we'll get that right out to you.

[...]

        Anybody else hear how Ditko uses old comic pages (Spider-man, Dr. Strange, his DC work,) as cutting boards?

[...]

        I wonder, did Ditko take the money?  Or did he refuse the check.

        Matt
      • Steve Bolhafner
        Message 3 of 29 , Nov 23 2:24 PM
          --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow" <mouseskull@...> wrote:

          > Okay, who called Diamond as Staroo? Larry? Well whoever, you win.

          Jeff Seiler. Message #100464.

          Steve Bolhafner
          You know, the new Yahoo Advanced search function ain't half bad . . .
        • Matt Dow
          Message 4 of 29 , Nov 23 6:04 PM
            On 11/23/06, Steve Bolhafner <sbolhafner@...> wrote:
            --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow" <mouseskull@...> wrote:

            > Okay, who called Diamond as Staroo?  Larry?  Well whoever, you win.

            Jeff Seiler. Message #100464.

            Steve Bolhafner
            You know, the new Yahoo Advanced search function ain't half bad . . .

            So Slambo, what kind of pony tickles your fancy?

            Matt

          • Chris W
            Message 5 of 29 , Nov 24 12:06 AM
              > Anybody else hear how Ditko uses old comic pages
              > (Spider-man, Dr. Strange,
              > his DC work,) as cutting boards?

              Yeah. It's the sort of thought that makes comics fans
              grow old before their time. *shudder*

              > > There are any
              > > number of roads that Steve Ditko *might* have
              > taken from the decision to
              > > quit *Spider-man* just as it was going through its
              > first wave of
              > > near-phenomenon stature. You can fault his
              > decisions if you want (and
              > > many do—they want their Ditko *Spider-man*) but
              > the fact that he ended up
              > > doing what he thought was right—both on the
              > printed page and in his personal
              > > life—and suffered the career and income
              > consequences of that—in my eyes
              > > marks him out for Greatness. Between the time he
              > left *Spider-man* and
              > > when he (finally!) got the big payday with the
              > release of the first *
              > > Spider-man* film you would be hard-pressed to see
              > any point where he
              > > compromised with his personal sense of right and
              > wrong.
              > >

              > I wonder, did Ditko take the money? Or did he
              > refuse the check.

              I do hope he took the money. In the two Spider-Man
              movies, I was the only one in the theater who clapped
              when the creator credits appeared on the screen.

              I definitely see it as one of God's big jokes, that
              the comics industry has been waiting all these
              decades, while guys who created immense bonanzas got
              screwed, and we finally have evolved creator's rights
              to the point where creators can be rewarded for their
              work, and someone who created one of our biggest icons
              is still alive to get the reward and acclaim he so
              richly deserves...

              And he's an Objectivist. Not only does he not seek
              publicity, but as far as he's concerned, he was paid
              for his work decades ago and has no right to any more.
              You gotta respect his integrity, but wow is that a
              mind-boggling idea.

              At least he's made some noises in recent years about
              his due. Has anyone seen one of those essays he's
              written about Stan Lee's grabbing credit? It even
              includes a new drawing of Spider-Man, along with the
              comment that Lee provided the words, Ditko provided
              the pictures, and they aren't putting Lee's words at
              the top of Marvel stationary.

              > Matt

              Sponsored Link

              $200,000 mortgage for $660/ mo -
              30/15 yr fixed, reduce debt -
              http://yahoo.ratemarketplace.com
            • Matt Dow
              Message 6 of 29 , Nov 24 8:36 AM
                On 11/24/06, Chris W <show_me68508@...> wrote:

                > Anybody else hear how Ditko uses old comic pages
                > (Spider-man, Dr. Strange,
                > his DC work,) as cutting boards?

                Yeah.  It's the sort of thought that makes comics fans
                grow old before their time.  *shudder*

                And yet, I find the idea intriguing.  Here is the first Spider-man artist.  The Source.  Where some think the best art was produced.  And the guy who produced it, instead of selling this art for the fortune collectors would pay, destroys it by using it as a cutting board.  The story I heard was that somebody who visited Ditko even offered to buy him a cutting board, just to keep the art preserved, and Ditko refused.

                Like I said, intriguing.  (I'd never be able to do it, but still...)

                > > There are any
                > > number of roads that Steve Ditko *might* have
                > taken from the decision to
                > > quit *Spider-man* just as it was going through its
                > first wave of
                > > near-phenomenon stature.  You can fault his
                > decisions if you want (and
                > > many do—they want their Ditko *Spider-man*) but
                > the fact that he ended up
                > > doing what he thought was right—both on the
                > printed page and in his personal
                > > life—and suffered the career and income
                > consequences of that—in my eyes
                > > marks him out for Greatness.  Between the time he
                > left *Spider-man* and
                > > when he (finally!) got the big payday with the
                > release of the first *
                > > Spider-man* film you would be hard-pressed to see
                > any point where he
                > > compromised with his personal sense of right and
                > wrong.
                > >

                > I wonder, did Ditko take the money?  Or did he
                > refuse the check.

                I do hope he took the money.  In the two Spider-Man
                movies, I was the only one in the theater who clapped
                when the creator credits appeared on the screen.

                I definitely see it as one of God's big jokes, that
                the comics industry has been waiting all these
                decades, while guys who created immense bonanzas got
                screwed, and we finally have evolved creator's rights
                to the point where creators can be rewarded for their
                work, and someone who created one of our biggest icons
                is still alive to get the reward and acclaim he so
                richly deserves...

                And he's an Objectivist.  Not only does he not seek
                publicity, but as far as he's concerned, he was paid
                for his work decades ago and has no right to any more.
                You gotta respect his integrity, but wow is that a
                mind-boggling idea.

                At least he's made some noises in recent years about
                his due.  Has anyone seen one of those essays he's
                written about Stan Lee's grabbing credit?

                No.  Linky?

                 It even
                includes a new drawing of Spider-Man, along with the
                comment that Lee provided the words, Ditko provided
                the pictures, and they aren't putting Lee's words at
                the top of Marvel stationary.

                Erik Larsen has said the same thing.  Larsen's Spidey is on the front of their checks.

                > Matt

              • Chris W
                Message 7 of 29 , Nov 24 9:08 AM
                  > And yet, I find the idea intriguing. Here is the
                  > first Spider-man artist.
                  > The Source. Where some think the best art was
                  > produced. And the guy who
                  > produced it, instead of selling this art for the
                  > fortune collectors would
                  > pay, destroys it by using it as a cutting board.
                  > The story I heard was that
                  > somebody who visited Ditko even offered to buy him a
                  > cutting board, just to
                  > keep the art preserved, and Ditko refused.

                  Do you suppose his Objectivism prevents him from
                  letting someone else buy him something, or that he
                  gets something out of using *that* art for a cutting
                  board?

                  > > At least he's made some noises in recent years
                  > about
                  > > his due. Has anyone seen one of those essays he's
                  > > written about Stan Lee's grabbing credit?
                  >

                  > No. Linky?

                  I don't have one. I saw it on... oh, what's the name
                  for that stuff you read when it's not on a computer
                  screen? Getting old and senile. Anyway, if you need
                  a link or a scan, Blake Bell might have one.

                  Sponsored Link

                  Degrees online in as fast as 1 Yr
                  MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Assoc
                  http://yahoo.degrees.info
                • Chris W
                  Message 8 of 29 , Nov 24 9:14 AM
                    > And yet, I find the idea intriguing. Here is the
                    > first Spider-man artist.
                    > The Source. Where some think the best art was
                    > produced. And the guy who
                    > produced it, instead of selling this art for the
                    > fortune collectors would
                    > pay, destroys it by using it as a cutting board.
                    > The story I heard was that
                    > somebody who visited Ditko even offered to buy him a
                    > cutting board, just to
                    > keep the art preserved, and Ditko refused.

                    Do you suppose his Objectivism prevents him from
                    letting someone else buy him something, or that he
                    gets something out of using *that* art for a cutting
                    board?

                    > > At least he's made some noises in recent years
                    > about
                    > > his due. Has anyone seen one of those essays he's
                    > > written about Stan Lee's grabbing credit?
                    >

                    > No. Linky?

                    I don't have one. I saw it on... oh, what's the name
                    for that stuff you read when it's not on a computer
                    screen? Getting old and senile. Anyway, if you need
                    a link or a scan, Blake Bell might have one.

                    The all-new Yahoo! Mail beta
                    Fire up a more powerful email and get things done faster.
                    http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                  • Chris W
                    Message 9 of 29 , Nov 24 9:17 AM
                      --- Matt Dow <mouseskull@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > seek
                      > > publicity, but as far as he's concerned, he was
                      > paid
                      > > for his work decades ago and has no right to any
                      > more.
                      > > You gotta respect his integrity, but wow is that a
                      > > mind-boggling idea.
                      > >
                      > > At least he's made some noises in recent years
                      > about
                      > > his due. Has anyone seen one of those essays he's
                      > > written about Stan Lee's grabbing credit?
                      >

                      > No. Linky?
                      >
                      > It even
                      > > includes a new drawing of Spider-Man, along with
                      > the
                      > > comment that Lee provided the words, Ditko
                      > provided
                      > > the pictures, and they aren't putting Lee's words
                      > at
                      > > the top of Marvel stationary.
                      >

                      > Erik Larsen has said the same thing. Larsen's

                      Sponsored Link

                      $420k for $1,399/mo.
                      Find Out! www.LowerMyBills.com/lre
                      Message 10 of 29 , Nov 24 5:16 PM

                        > Anybody else hear how Ditko uses old comic pages (Spider-man, Dr.
                        Strange,
                        > his DC work,) as cutting boards?
                        >

                        > Matt

                        ----------- And Kirby used to use his pages to soak up the water on
                        the floor because of the leaky studio ceiling:(

                        -Jeff
                      • Steve Bolhafner
                        Message 11 of 29 , Nov 24 5:48 PM
                          --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Tundis" <jctundis@...> wrote:

                          > > Anybody else hear how Ditko uses old comic pages (Spider-man, Dr.
                          > Strange,
                          > > his DC work,) as cutting boards?
                          > >
                          > > Matt
                          > >

                          > ----------- And Kirby used to use his pages to soak up the water on
                          > the floor because of the leaky studio ceiling:(
                          >
                          > -Jeff

                          Substantial difference.

                          Kirby did this when he was relatively young and no one considered the
                          pages worth anything.

                          Ditko was deliberately doing this to art that he could have sold for
                          serious money. The Greg Theakston account of this was in an issue of
                          Wizard, and by the time that magazine came into existence any Ditko
                          page would have already fetched in the three figures, at least. Here's
                          a transcription of that part of the article by way of Comic Book
                          Resources Urban Legend column, by way of Ditko fan Linda Burns:

                          ---

                          There's simply no way to separate the fact from the fiction, no
                          way to determine which Ditko is the real Ditko. One story about him
                          contradicts the next, which-in turn-contradicts the next.

                          Take for example, one of [Comic publisher and restorer, Greg]
                          Theakston's last visits to Ditko's studio. While embroiled in a
                          conversation, the historian noticed a piece of illustration board
                          leaning up against a wall, slashed to pieces.

                          "He'd been using it as a cutting board," Theakston said. "I looked
                          a little bit closer and I detected a comics code stamp on it."

                          He asked Ditko to turn the board around, a request met with a
                          deadening gaze from the artist.

                          "I didn't think he was going to do it," the historian recounted.
                          "It looked like a `Screw you' look."

                          Slowly, however, Ditko reached out and flipped over the board. It
                          was a page of original art from a late 1950s issue of Journey Into
                          Mystery, a splash featuring a hard helmet diver. Theakston couldn't
                          believe it. Not only was Ditko not displaying, preserving or prizing
                          this piece of original art, he was using it as a cutting board.

                          Theakston quickly offered Ditko a deal: "Steve, I will go down to
                          the nearest art supply store and buy you a cutting board that will
                          mend itself-a plastic cutting board that's so smart that when you cut
                          on it, it mends itself-and you'll have the finest cutting board on the
                          block." "Nope," Ditko replied, twisting the
                          artwork-turned-cutting-board back around.

                          Theakston pleaded. "Steve, geez. That's worth a fair amount of
                          money. At the very least-damn, Steve-it's an artifact. It's an
                          important piece of publishing history in terms of comics."

                          The artist turned and pointed to the drapery-obscured window next
                          to Theakston's chair. "Lift that curtain up," he said.

                          The curtain, the historian estimated, was about 18 inches off the
                          floor. He pulled the drape aside and saw a stack of original artwork
                          from Marvel standing roughly a foot-and-a-half high.

                          "Can I look at these?" Theakston excitedly asked.

                          "No."

                          The writer was dumbfounded. "I was sitting next to a hundred
                          thousand, two hundred thousand dollars, maybe, worth of Ditko artwork
                          and he was cutting it up without letting people look at it."

                          For whatever reason-Theakston feels Ditko may have thought Marvel
                          was wrong for returning the pages-the artist seemed to attach no
                          particular affection to his early work.

                          "He would rather not have people think of Steve Ditko's best work
                          as being Spider-Man from 30 or 40 years ago," the historian said. "He
                          wanted to be represented not by what he had done, but by what he's
                          doing-he wants now to be his best time.

                          ---

                          That's Steve Ditko. Of course, what do you expect? All people named
                          Steve are lunatics.

                          Steve Bolhafner
                        • Chris W
                          Message 12 of 29 , Nov 25 2:03 AM
                            --- Jeff Tundis <jctundis@...> wrote:

                            > > Anybody else hear how Ditko uses old comic pages
                            > (Spider-man, Dr.
                            > Strange,
                            > > his DC work,) as cutting boards?
                            > >

                            > > Matt
                            > >

                            > ----------- And Kirby used to use his pages to soak
                            > up the water on
                            > the floor because of the leaky studio ceiling:(
                            >
                            > -Jeff

                            I attended the 'old timers' panel at one of the
                            Chicagocons I went to, and somebody (Jerry Robinson?)
                            told a story about how they used to just leave
                            original art at the printers, since nobody wanted it.
                            Since the floor at the printers was covered with ink,
                            they used them as floorboards and walked on them. But
                            since they didn't want to walk on the pretty artwork,
                            they turned them over first.

                            Sponsored Link

                            Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
                            $310k for $999/mo. Calculate new payment!
                            www.LowerMyBills.com/lre
                          • Chris W
                            Message 13 of 29 , Nov 25 2:12 AM
                              > That's Steve Ditko. Of course, what do you expect?
                              > All people named
                              > Steve are lunatics.
                              >
                              > Steve Bolhafner

                              We must speak in musical voices and lull the lunatic
                              to sleep, and draw forth the angel.

                              http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 29 , Nov 26 12:09 AM
                                --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Bolhafner" <sbolhafner@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Here's
                                > a transcription of that part of the article by way of Comic Book
                                > Resources Urban Legend column, by way of Ditko fan Linda Burns:
                                >
                                > ---
                                >
                                > There's simply no way to separate the fact from the fiction, no
                                > way to determine which Ditko is the real Ditko. One story about him
                                > contradicts the next, which-in turn-contradicts the next.

                                And the guy's a follower of Ayn Rand?

                                That is funny on so many levels. ;)

                                Message 15 of 29 , Nov 26 7:23 PM
                                  wrote:

> [...]
                                  >
                                  > "No."
                                  >
                                  > The writer was dumbfounded. "I was sitting next to a hundred
                                  > thousand, two hundred thousand dollars, maybe, worth of Ditko
                                  artwork
                                  > and he was cutting it up without letting people look at it."
                                  >
                                  > For whatever reason-Theakston feels Ditko may have thought
                                  Marvel
                                  > was wrong for returning the pages-the artist seemed to attach no
                                  > particular affection to his early work.
                                  >
                                  > "He would rather not have people think of Steve Ditko's best
                                  work
                                  > as being Spider-Man from 30 or 40 years ago," the historian
                                  said. "He
                                  > wanted to be represented not by what he had done, but by what he's
                                  > doing-he wants now to be his best time.
                                  >
                                  > ---
                                  >
                                  > That's Steve Ditko. Of course, what do you expect? All people named

                                  ---------- Well, that certainly fits in with the Objectivist mindset
                                  set forth in The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged. Better to destroy
                                  your own work then let it be used in a manner not meeting your
                                  approval. Ditko seems to be embracing the "spectacle" aspect, but
                                  that's an "artist" trying to make a "point."

                                  -Jeff
                                • Chris W
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Nov 27 3:48 AM
                                    > ---------- Well, that certainly fits in with the
                                    > Objectivist mindset
                                    > set forth in The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.
                                    > Better to destroy
                                    > your own work then let it be used in a manner not
                                    > meeting your
                                    > approval. Ditko seems to be embracing the
                                    > "spectacle" aspect, but
                                    > that's an "artist" trying to make a "point."
                                    >
                                    > -Jeff

                                    Disagree on two points. First of all, if it was the
                                    "spectacle" aspect, it wouldn't work with such a
                                    recluse. If not for random reports like these, we
                                    would never know what happened to that Spider-Man art
                                    until (at least) after Ditko was dead.

                                    Second of all, the Objectivist would want to make
                                    money on his work. Dammit, Steve, there's tens
                                    (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars you're chopping up
                                    there. Stop it. Just. Stop it.

                                    Message 17 of 29 , Nov 27 9:29 AM
                                      --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, Chris W <show_me68508@...> wrote:

                                      > > ---------- Well, that certainly fits in with the
                                      > > Objectivist mindset
                                      > > set forth in The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.
                                      > > Better to destroy
                                      > > your own work then let it be used in a manner not
                                      > > meeting your
                                      > > approval. Ditko seems to be embracing the
                                      > > "spectacle" aspect, but
                                      > > that's an "artist" trying to make a "point."
                                      > >
                                      > > -Jeff
                                      > >

                                      > Disagree on two points. First of all, if it was the
                                      > "spectacle" aspect, it wouldn't work with such a
                                      > recluse. If not for random reports like these, we
                                      > would never know what happened to that Spider-Man art
                                      > until (at least) after Ditko was dead.

                                      ---------- Any person who creates art for public consumption, laying
                                      his personal views on the line is a bit of an extrovert - "recluse"
                                      or not. He just approches his desire for celebrity in a different
                                      way. If he was a *true* recluse, we wouldn't know who Steve Ditko
                                      is. He's eccentric. Cutting the work, having a stack of it that
                                      nobody is allowed to touch is a form of spectacle, even if for his
                                      own enjoyment (and the torture of the occasional visitor).

                                      > Second of all, the Objectivist would want to make
                                      > money on his work. Dammit, Steve, there's tens
                                      > (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars you're chopping up
                                      > there. Stop it. Just. Stop it.

                                      ---------- He already made money on it. Didn't the article also say
                                      he disagreed with Marvel being forced to return the originals? He
                                      would therefore morally object to making more money on it. Add to
                                      that the fact that he doesn't want the work out there overshadowing
                                      his current work.

                                      ---------- It all makes perfect sense for his philosophical outlook.

                                      -Jeff
                                    • Jeff Seiler
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Nov 27 2:09 PM
                                        --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow" <mouseskull@...> wrote:

                                        > On 11/23/06, Steve Bolhafner <sbolhafner@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow" <mouseskull@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Okay, who called Diamond as Staroo? Larry? Well whoever, you
                                        win.

                                        > > Jeff Seiler. Message #100464.
                                        > >
                                        > > Steve Bolhafner
                                        > > You know, the new Yahoo Advanced search function ain't half
                                        bad . . .

                                        > So Slambo, what kind of pony tickles your fancy?
                                        >
                                        > Matt

                                        -----Okay, I was out of the loop since Wednesday, as the college was
                                        locked up tight. I found out today that I was sort of right about
                                        STAR00, but what did I win? What does "what kind of pony tickles
                                        your fancy" mean?

                                        Is this one of those crappy no-prizes?

                                        "Like a young man going in for his first quickie, he felt strangely
                                        unsatisfied." (ya gotta say it out loud with a Russian accent)

                                        Slambo
                                      • Matt Dow
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Nov 27 2:44 PM
                                          On 11/27/06, Jeff Seiler <seilerjeff@...> wrote:
                                          --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow" <mouseskull@...> wrote:

                                          > On 11/23/06, Steve Bolhafner <sbolhafner@...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow" <mouseskull@> wrote:
                                          > > >
                                          > > > Okay, who called Diamond as Staroo?  Larry?  Well whoever, you
                                          win.

                                          > > Jeff Seiler. Message #100464.
                                          > >
                                          > > Steve Bolhafner
                                          > > You know, the new Yahoo Advanced search function ain't half
                                          bad . . .

                                          > So Slambo, what kind of pony tickles your fancy?
                                          >
                                          > Matt

                                          -----Okay, I was out of the loop since Wednesday, as the college was
                                          locked up tight.  I found out today that I was sort of right about
                                          STAR00, but what did I win?  What does "what kind of pony tickles
                                          your fancy" mean?

                                          Check the original "you win" post.
                                          ME: "Okay, who called Diamond as Staroo?  Larry?  Well whoever, you win.

                                          I dunno what you win, um, how about...a pony.  Yeah, you win a pony.  E-mail your address and we'll get that right out to you."

                                          Is this one of those crappy no-prizes?

                                          No, it's a pony.

                                          "Like a young man going in for his first quickie, he felt strangely
                                          unsatisfied."  (ya gotta say it out loud with a Russian accent)

                                          Slambo

                                          "What A Country!"  -Yakoff Smernov (The OG Borat)

                                          Matt

                                        • Chris W
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Nov 28 1:23 AM
                                            --- Matt Dow <mouseskull@...> wrote:

                                            > On 11/27/06, Jeff Seiler <seilerjeff@...>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow"
                                            > <mouseskull@...> wrote:

                                            > Well whoever, you
                                            > > win.

                                            > function ain't half
                                            > > bad . . .
                                            > > >

                                            > > > So Slambo, what kind of pony tickles your fancy?
                                            > > >
                                            > > > Matt
                                            > >
                                            > > -----Okay, I was out of the loop since Wednesday,
                                            > as the college was
                                            > > locked up tight. I found out today that I was
                                            > sort of right about
                                            > > STAR00, but what did I win? What does "what kind
                                            > of pony tickles
                                            > > your fancy" mean?
                                            >

                                            > Check the original "you win" post.
                                            > ME: "Okay, who called Diamond as Staroo? Larry?
                                            > Well whoever, you win.
                                            > I dunno what you win, um, how about...a pony. Yeah,
                                            > you win a pony. E-mail
                                            > your address and we'll get that right out to you."
                                            >
                                            > Is this one of those crappy no-prizes?
                                            >

                                            > No, it's a pony.

                                            "I want my elephant!"

                                            Sponsored Link

                                            Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
                                            $510k for $1,698/mo. Calculate new payment!
                                            www.LowerMyBills.com/lre
                                          • Jeff Seiler
                                            Message 21 of 29 , Nov 28 6:03 AM
                                              --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow" <mouseskull@...> wrote:

                                              > On 11/27/06, Jeff Seiler <seilerjeff@...> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow" <mouseskull@> wrote:

                                              > > win.

                                              > > bad . . .
                                              > > >

                                              > > > So Slambo, what kind of pony tickles your fancy?
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Matt
                                              > >
                                              > > -----Okay, I was out of the loop since Wednesday, as the college
                                              was
                                              > > locked up tight. I found out today that I was sort of right about
                                              > > STAR00, but what did I win? What does "what kind of pony tickles
                                              > > your fancy" mean?
                                              >

                                              > Check the original "you win" post.
                                              > ME: "Okay, who called Diamond as Staroo? Larry? Well whoever, you
                                              win.
                                              > I dunno what you win, um, how about...a pony. Yeah, you win a
                                              pony. E-mail
                                              > your address and we'll get that right out to you."
                                              >
                                              > Is this one of those crappy no-prizes?
                                              >

                                              > No, it's a pony.
                                              >
                                              > "Like a young man going in for his first quickie, he felt strangely
                                              > > unsatisfied." (ya gotta say it out loud with a Russian accent)
                                              > >
                                              > > Slambo
                                              >

                                              > "What A Country!" -Yakoff Smernov (The OG Borat)
                                              >
                                              > Matt

                                              -----Can I get one of those girls that looks like a pony when she
                                              gets down on all fours and has one of those. . .

                                              Ah, Rain, you can explain it better than I can.

                                              And, besides, it would get me in trouble and then Larry and I would
                                              just have to do another comic and we've both got too much on our
                                              plates right now anyway and. . .

                                              Man, last time I enter a contest.

                                              Slambo
                                            • Matt Dow
                                              Message 22 of 29 , Nov 28 7:50 AM
                                                On 11/28/06, Chris W <show_me68508@...> wrote:

                                                --- Matt Dow <mouseskull@...> wrote:

                                                > On 11/27/06, Jeff Seiler < seilerjeff@...>
                                                > wrote:
                                                > >
                                                > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow"
                                                > <mouseskull@...> wrote:

                                                > Well whoever, you
                                                > > win.

                                                > function ain't half
                                                > > bad . . .
                                                > > >

                                                > > > So Slambo, what kind of pony tickles your fancy?
                                                > > >
                                                > > > Matt
                                                > >
                                                > > -----Okay, I was out of the loop since Wednesday,
                                                > as the college was
                                                > > locked up tight.  I found out today that I was
                                                > sort of right about
                                                > > STAR00, but what did I win?  What does "what kind
                                                > of pony tickles
                                                > > your fancy" mean?
                                                >

                                                > Check the original "you win" post.
                                                > ME: "Okay, who called Diamond as Staroo?  Larry?
                                                > Well whoever, you win.
                                                > I dunno what you win, um, how about...a pony.  Yeah,
                                                > you win a pony.  E-mail
                                                > your address and we'll get that right out to you."
                                                >
                                                > Is this one of those crappy no-prizes?
                                                >

                                                > No, it's a pony.

                                                "I want my elephant!"

                                                And people in Hell want ice water.  Big deal.

                                                Matt
                                                (What?)

                                              • Matt Dow
                                                Message 23 of 29 , Nov 28 7:55 AM
                                                  On 11/28/06, Jeff Seiler <seilerjeff@...> wrote:
                                                  --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow" <mouseskull@...> wrote:

                                                  > On 11/27/06, Jeff Seiler <seilerjeff@...> wrote:
                                                  > >
                                                  > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow" <mouseskull@> wrote:

                                                  > > win.

                                                  > > bad . . .
                                                  > > >

                                                  > > > So Slambo, what kind of pony tickles your fancy?
                                                  > > >
                                                  > > > Matt
                                                  > >
                                                  > > -----Okay, I was out of the loop since Wednesday, as the college
                                                  was
                                                  > > locked up tight.  I found out today that I was sort of right about
                                                  > > STAR00, but what did I win?  What does "what kind of pony tickles
                                                  > > your fancy" mean?
                                                  >

                                                  > Check the original "you win" post.
                                                  > ME: "Okay, who called Diamond as Staroo?  Larry?  Well whoever, you
                                                  win.
                                                  > I dunno what you win, um, how about...a pony.  Yeah, you win a
                                                  pony.  E-mail
                                                  > your address and we'll get that right out to you."
                                                  >
                                                  > Is this one of those crappy no-prizes?
                                                  >

                                                  > No, it's a pony.
                                                  >
                                                  > "Like a young man going in for his first quickie, he felt strangely
                                                  > > unsatisfied."  (ya gotta say it out loud with a Russian accent)
                                                  > >
                                                  > > Slambo
                                                  >

                                                  > "What A Country!"  -Yakoff Smernov (The OG Borat)
                                                  >
                                                  > Matt

                                                  -----Can I get one of those girls that looks like a pony when she
                                                  gets down on all fours and has one of those. . .

                                                  NO!

                                                  Ah, Rain, you can explain it better than I can.

                                                  Lalalalalalala*I'm not listening*lalalalalalala

                                                  And, besides, it would get me in trouble and then Larry and I would
                                                  just have to do another comic and we've both got too much on our
                                                  plates right now anyway and. . .

                                                  So you want this pony or what?  It's crapping everywhere.  And this little kid keeps coming by trying to teach it to bite off Scott Tenorman's wiener.

                                                  Man, last time I enter a contest.

                                                  Slambo

                                                  Let this be a lesson: One man's prize is another man's torture device.
                                                  Matt

                                                  Message 24 of 29 , Nov 28 8:38 AM
                                                    --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow" <mouseskull@...> wrote:

                                                    > > -----Can I get one of those girls that looks like a pony when she
                                                    > > gets down on all fours and has one of those. . .
                                                    >

                                                    > NO!
                                                    >
                                                    > Ah, Rain, you can explain it better than I can.

                                                    Y'know, I heard that Seattle got like two feet of snow, so we might
                                                    not be hearing from Rain for a while.

                                                    Message 25 of 29 , Nov 28 9:38 AM
                                                      --- Larry <larrytheillini@...> wrote:

                                                      > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow"
                                                      > <mouseskull@...> wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > > > -----Can I get one of those girls that looks
                                                      > like a pony when she
                                                      > > > gets down on all fours and has one of those. . .
                                                      > >

                                                      > > NO!
                                                      > >
                                                      > > Ah, Rain, you can explain it better than I can.
                                                      > >

                                                      > Y'know, I heard that Seattle got like two feet of
                                                      > snow, so we might
                                                      > not be hearing from Rain for a while.

                                                      Heh.

                                                      That just sounds funny. [sniff sniff snort!]

                                                      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                                                    • rainmandu2
                                                      Message 26 of 29 , Nov 28 4:14 PM
                                                        --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow" <mouseskull@...> wrote:

                                                        > Let this be a lesson: One man's prize is another man's torture device.
                                                        > Matt

                                                        Which reminds me of the time my friend said about his soon-to-be wife that he felt like he'd
                                                        won the lottery, and then I THOUGHT, but didn't SAY...

                                                        Rainmandu

                                                        "Stand or Fall" - The Fixx
                                                      • rainmandu2
                                                        Message 27 of 29 , Nov 28 4:18 PM
                                                          --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <larrytheillini@...> wrote:

                                                          > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow" <mouseskull@> wrote:
                                                          > >
                                                          > > > -----Can I get one of those girls that looks like a pony when she
                                                          > > > gets down on all fours and has one of those. . .
                                                          > >

                                                          > > NO!
                                                          > >
                                                          > > Ah, Rain, you can explain it better than I can.
                                                          > >

                                                          > Y'know, I heard that Seattle got like two feet of snow, so we might
                                                          > not be hearing from Rain for a while.
                                                          >
                                                          > - Larry Hart

                                                          We have snow. We have freezing temperatures. We have wind. Strong wind. I tried to TiVo
                                                          "Brokeback Mountain" and then my satellite lost the signal for a bit, so I didn't get it and
                                                          I'll have to try later.

                                                          Oh, and the pony thing is a butt-plug with a bunch of fake hair that looks like a horse's
                                                          tail on the end. You put the plug in your girlfriend's ass and then she walks around on her
                                                          hands and knees, and, if she's, you know, mentally retarded, she makes "horse" sounds.
                                                          It's unbelievably stupid, and I have no idea why people like it so much.

                                                          Rainmandu

                                                          "Red Skies" - The Fixx
                                                        • John L
                                                          Message 28 of 29 , Nov 28 4:42 PM
                                                            On 11/28/06, Chris W <show_me68508@...> wrote:

                                                            > --- Matt Dow <mouseskull@...> wrote:
                                                            >
                                                            > > On 11/27/06, Jeff Seiler <seilerjeff@...>
                                                            > > wrote:
                                                            > > >
                                                            > > > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Matt Dow"

                                                            > > Well whoever, you
                                                            > > > win.

                                                            > > function ain't half
                                                            > > > bad . . .

                                                            > > > -----Okay, I was out of the loop since Wednesday,
                                                            > > as the college was
                                                            > > > locked up tight. I found out today that I was
                                                            > > sort of right about
                                                            > > > STAR00, but what did I win? What does "what kind
                                                            > > of pony tickles
                                                            > > > your fancy" mean?
                                                            > >

                                                            > > Check the original "you win" post.
                                                            > > ME: "Okay, who called Diamond as Staroo? Larry?
                                                            > > Well whoever, you win.
                                                            > > I dunno what you win, um, how about...a pony. Yeah,
                                                            > > you win a pony. E-mail
                                                            > > your address and we'll get that right out to you."
                                                            > >
                                                            > > Is this one of those crappy no-prizes?
                                                            > >

                                                            > > No, it's a pony.
                                                            > >

                                                            > "I want my elephant!"

                                                            Hey, they're playing the elephant song again...

                                                            John L
                                                          • Jeff Seiler
                                                            Message 29 of 29 , Nov 30 10:38 AM
                                                              --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "rainmandu2" <rainmandu@...> wrote:

                                                              > --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "Larry" <larrytheillini@> wrote:

                                                              > > > NO!
                                                              > > >
                                                              > > > Ah, Rain, you can explain it better than I can.
                                                              > > >

                                                              > > Y'know, I heard that Seattle got like two feet of snow, so we
                                                              might
                                                              > > not be hearing from Rain for a while.
                                                              > >
                                                              > > - Larry Hart
                                                              >
                                                              > We have snow. We have freezing temperatures. We have wind. Strong
                                                              wind. I tried to TiVo
                                                              > "Brokeback Mountain" and then my satellite lost the signal for a
                                                              bit, so I didn't get it and
                                                              > I'll have to try later.
                                                              >
                                                              > Oh, and the pony thing is a butt-plug with a bunch of fake hair
                                                              that looks like a horse's
                                                              > tail on the end. You put the plug in your girlfriend's ass and
                                                              then she walks around on her
                                                              > hands and knees, and, if she's, you know, mentally retarded, she
                                                              makes "horse" sounds.
                                                              > It's unbelievably stupid, and I have no idea why people like it so
                                                              much.

                                                              > Rainmandu

                                                              -----Thanks, Rain, for clearing that up. It is pretty stupid but
                                                              certainly makes for an arresting image.