176852Re: OK, help me out with Tangent(s)

  • Eddie
    Jul 19, 2013
      There was an issue of TCJ (258? there were two issues of TCJ where he wrote letters/responses around the same time. It might have been discussed on the list) where in response to someone about Tangent he mentioned that his statement that "All women are Feminists" was a plant/untruth.

      --- In cerebus@yahoogroups.com, "raycornwall" <ray@...> wrote:

      > I'm a long-time Cerebus reader- started and got caught up right after Melmoth (which I still swear to this day is a masterpiece), bought every issue and phonebook, but fell off the read right around Form & Void. I had all the issues, but just kept saying to myself, "I'll do a big full read of all 300 issues someday!" Well, someday is now, and in fact, I just finished Form and Void, about to go into Latter Days.
      >
      > I also promised myself that when done, I'd determine whether or not to sign the peititon. I figured that if I read all 300 issues and the backmatter (yes, I'm reading the back pages too- Aardvark Comment, ads, Single Pages, everything), I'd be as qualified as anyone about signing the doc.
      >
      > I got through 186 again- less nasty than I remembered. Most of Dave's venom was really aimed at the institute of marriage and feminism. Not my opinions, and I think he completely discounts any reasons why men get married other than sex, but hey, not inherently misogynistic. There's a comment in one of the post-186 issues in which he takes a cheap shot at the number of male graphic novelists vs. female graphic novelists, but not enough to tip the scale.
      >
      > Got through Guys, Rick's Story, and Going Home. I had no problem with the Jeff Smith fight bit- if Jeff never said to his face about giving him a "fat lip" and then pronounced to the world that he did, well, I'd be tempted to say the same thing. Lots of knocks on feminism, but again, knocks on feminism aren't inherently misogynistic.
      >
      > Then comes Tangent.
      >
      > Hoo boy.
      >
      > "...a.) women want to be raped by rich, muscular, handsome doctors b.) women are completely self-absorbed and, thus, see themselves in everything around them"
      >
      > "A woman is going to do whatever makes her cheerful at the moment and that, in my experience, is the extent of her perception of ethics."
      >
      > And it goes on and on. The intellectual arguments against feminism (again, not my beliefs or rational conclusions, but okay) suddenly become belief-based rants against women. The complete break happens when he goes, "For feminists, for wives, for women, for Emotion-based beings...". Since in the piece he earlier declares "Women are Emotion-based beings", I have a hard time seeing any point in arguing that Dave no longer sees women and feminists as two different creatures.
      >
      > The rest of the piece continues in this spiral- no longer trying to argue points of reason, he's spouting things he believes while trying to argue that women are emotion-based while men are, what, reason-based creatures? Every problem under the sun becomes a problem created by feminists and homosexualists, with no blame assigned to men.

> [...]
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic