      From: Bob Corby <bpc13@...>
      Date: Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 7:23 PM
      Subject: SPACE 2013
      To: "bpc13@..." <bpc13@...>

      SPACE (Small Press & Alternative Comics Expo)

      On April 13 & 14, the 14th annual Small Press & Alternative Comics Expo (SPACE) will be held at the Ramada Plaza Hotel and Convention Center in Columbus, Ohio.  SPACE is the Mid-West’s longest running exhibition of small press, alternative, creator-owned  and art comics and is Columbus’ only locally owned comics convention.

      SPACE is a unique opportunity to discover the amazing array of independent comics and to interact with the creators of some of the finest print and web comics.  Comic artists, writers and publishers from all over the US will display an incredible diversity of genres and styles –autobiography, history, social issues, fantasy, science fiction, horror, humor and everything in between, even the occasional superhero.

      There will be over 170 exhibitors in attendance, including nationally know creators such as Derf Backderf  (My Friend Dahmer), Tom Hart (Hutch Owen), Joseph Remnant (Harvey Pekar's Cleveland), Nate Powell (Any Empire, The Silence of Our Friends, Swallow Me Whole), Carol Tyler (You’ll Never Know ) and John Porcellino (King-Cat Comics & Stories).  The show also features local favorites Lora Innes (The Dreamer), Dara Naraghi (Persia Blues), Tom Williams (Comic Book Tattoo, No Dead Time), Max Ink (Blink), Michael R. Neno (The Signifiers), and Ken Epstein (Nix Comics Quarterly).

      We will have a full slate of programming, including panels and presentations on small press comics, memoir comics, education in comics, animation, and the Ohio State Billy Ireland Cartoon Library & Museum’s Dylan Williams Collection, as well as the 2012 SPACE Prize awards.

      Other events surrounding SPACE include the Panels in Pink: a Celebration of Female Comics Creators exhibition at the Wild Goose Creative, the SPACE pre-party at the Laughing Ogre Comic Shoppe, and the Drink ‘n Jam Live Art Event at Bowties Lounge on the grounds of the Hotel. Check http://backporchcomics.com/program.htm for details.

      The Ramada Plaza Hotel and Convention Center offers a restaurant, bar, free parking, a special hotel rate and air port shuttle service. Go to http://backporchcomics.com/hotels.htm  for hotel reservations. The deadline for the hotel block is March 22.

      SPACE is committed to bringing this great treasure trove of work to the public at an affordable price. We haven’t raised prices since 2006!  Admission is $5 per day or $8 for a weekend pass, with discounted advanced tickets available.

      Get a taste of SPACE before you come with the SPACE Anthology 2013, with 23 complete strips by 28 SPACE exhibitors, available as a free download at http://backporchcomics.com/space.htm.  It is also available as a print book available at the show. You can also pre-purchase a copy during our (already successful Kickstarter campaign.. Just go to Kickstarter .

      Additional information about SPACE 2013, including a full list of exhibitors, comics premiering at SPACE, programs, and discount tickets can be found on line at http://backporchcomics.com/space.htm.

      Hope to see you at the show.

      The Small Press & Alternative Comics Expo (SPACE)
      April 13 & 14 Saturday 10am-6pm Sunday 10am-5pm
      Ramada Plaza Hotel And Conference Center
      4900 Sinclair Road Columbus, OH 43229
      Off I71 at the Morse / Sinclair exit. Free Parking!
      Admission $5.00 per day and $8.00 per weekend.

      SPACE-Columbus’ only locally owned and operated COMICS show!

      The Mid-West’s Longest-running Exhibition of Small Press, Alternative, art and Creator Owned Comics

      Over 170 exhibitors
      www.backporchcomics.com

      Bob Corby
      Back Porch Comics / SPACE