Re: just joined the club

  • Casie Olds
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2003
      Hi Renee. My daughter always kept her right hand fisted and her OT
      has tried several styles of splints and she's found a way to pull all
      of them off. She's 3 now and is opening and trying to use her right
      hand a lot more even though she never really wore a splint much. So
      don't worry too much about it, he'll probably improve a lot with
      therapy. Good luck and take care.

      Casie
      mom of Caelyn 3 (cp and epilepsy) and Conner 20 mos.

      --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Rene Valencia"
      <ReneMValencia@y...> wrote:
      > Hello I was visiting the Cerebral Palsy club group in yahoo My son
      > Brian is going to be 14 months August 6, he was diagnosed with mild
      > cp from a screw up at the hospital, my son's left hand is most of
      the
      > times stiff and closed to a fist, we got him a splint but he
      doesn't
      > like it and removes it.
    • debra Marasco-McNulty
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 1 10:44 AM
        To Rene,
        My son used to have a severe fist problem, he is now
        26 and still has somewhat a fist problem when he gets
        excited. Braces didn't work on him either, we put a
        rolled up washcloth in his fist and also at times; a
        hair curler, toy, small balls, etc. Also to keep his
        hands clean inside I wash with wipes, squirt
        incontinent spray then wipe with a wet washcloth. The
        problem is some children develope skin breakdown.

        When at 12 he start phenobarbital again, his hands did
        relax a little. Valium did not work because he has a
        paradoxical reaction to valium, it excites him. One
        problem that developed through the years of 3-12 is
        contractures, one wrist is 90 degrees out and oone is
        90 degrees in. A fairly textbook example of
        contractures when someone has brain damage to one side
        of the brain.

        Hope this helps,
        Debra M-Mc
        --- Rene Valencia <ReneMValencia@...> wrote:
        > Hello I was visiting the Cerebral Palsy club group
        > in yahoo My son
        > Brian is going to be 14 months August 6, he was
        > diagnosed with mild
        > cp from a screw up at the hospital, my son's left
        > hand is most of the
        > times stiff and closed to a fist, we got him a
        > splint but he doesn't
        > like it and removes it.

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      • Stephanie Feenstra
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 1 10:54 AM
          Hi Rene,
          I am also new to the group. My little boy was recently diagnosed
          with Mild CP as well. He just turned a year yesterday. Does Brian
          have any other problems?
          Dylan main problem is that he also holds his right hand in a fist
          but physical therapy has done wonders and he is not actually
          starting to use it. Is your little guy doing PT. I did not even
          know there was a splint that could be used, does it help keep his
          hand open?

          Welcome to the group!
          Steph