In shock

  • Joanna
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 15, 2003
      I, rather we are in total shock at the decision that was just made
      by the local school distric. They want to place Tricia in regular 4K
      for at least the first two weeks of school. They say it is to evulate
      her ability to attend a "normal" class.

      My daughter(Tricia's mom)Is a special needs teacher for the
      disatric and she can not belive what they are expecting this pour K4
      teacher to deal with. Tricia has CP is on the level verbaily of a 18
      month old, the retention level of a 24 month old, is autustic, and
      wears AFO's. She has to have her bib changed every two hours. She is
      also tube fed, is eating eather by mouth or tube every 2-3 hours. Is
      in diapers. But the main thing is that she spits, spins, buzzes, hits
      pulls hair, screams, and kicks when she is upset or when she is in a
      new enviroement. She can not express her needs and does not/can not
      sit with a group, because she will hurt other children(not meening to
      but she will hug a little too much or pull hair)

      I can just see it the teacher will hace 12-14 students all standing
      in the corner of the roon scared to death while the teacher and and
      her assistane try to deal with Tricia's needs. It just win't work!!!!
      Her Dr, said that he will talk with the people at the school distric
      and see if they will do the evualation early(which they told us they
      refuse to do)And he also said he wants to video the entire day every
      day she is at school to make sure she is treated with respect and not
      harmed or abused in any way.

      Anyone have any ideas on what we can do to stop this. It is just too
      much to expect from Tricia. she will not do good, and the teacher may
      threaten to QUIT after the first day. I can see it now....

      YaYa X5

      Joanna <><<
      Psalm113v9@...
    • debra Marasco-McNulty
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 15, 2003
        Request a one on one aide for the entire time she is
        in class. Make sure you are in the selection process.
        Explain it is for the safety and educational quality
        of your grandaughter, the other students, and the
        teacher. A work comp claim or other injury
        compensation would be far more expensive.

        Debra

        http://sbc.yahoo.com
      • Christine Kramlich
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 15, 2003
          I can only imagine how scary this must be for you. Special education tends to have these pendulum swings...first, every child with special needs was in an institution, then in a special class and now they want to put every child in regular education. The reality is, though, that every child with special needs is individual...that's why they have an IEP INDIVIDUALIZED Education Plan. I can understand they want to place your child in the least restrictive environment, but that's not necessarily the regular classroom. Perhaps you can suggest a compromise...maybe she could have an hour a day with the regular class? I'm sure it would benefit everyone for her to spend SOME time in the regular education classroom, but from what you describe, she doesn't seem ready to spend all day there.

          I would suggest calling a new IEP meeting and discussing the placement options for your child at great length. Bring a list of your reasoning and bring a few compromises to the table. If you need to, find an advocate that can go to the meeting with you.
          Christine K.
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • julie.simmons1
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 16, 2003
            This must be terrible for you and your daughter. In the UK, they always seem to try and cut corners with the care my daughter (who has cp) and my son (who has autism) need to have.

            I hope they come to the conculsion that there is no way Tricia can be integrated into a normal class and she gets the help she needs and deserves quickly.

            Julie

          • tkyoung40@wmconnect.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 16, 2003
              I would be at the next school board meeting and also contact the
              superintendent of the district and ask to be put on the agenda to speak to the board.
              Speaking from experience, the school board is not always informed of some of these
              situations and will usually over rule this decision by the district. I am the
              board president of our local school district and I know that I would in this
              situation. I am also the father of a six year old with CP,PVL, and seizures.
              Hope this might help!

              Cassidy's Dad in Texas