Re: just curious

  • Casie Olds
    Message 1 of 5 , May 29, 2003
      Caelyn was born at 40 weeks and 3 days. I had an uneventful
      pregnancy and normal labor and delivery. She was diagnosed with cp
      when she was 8 months old.

      --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Andrea Stansbury"
      <recsmom@l...> wrote:
      > I was wondering how many of those with cp were premature.

      > Get advanced SPAM filtering on Webmail or POP Mail ... Get Lycos
      Mail!
      > http://login.mail.lycos.com/r/referral?aid=27005
    • Curt & Kim
      Message 2 of 5 , May 29, 2003
        My son is a fraternal twin (he has a brother) and they were born 13 weeks
        premature and were in the hospital for 3 months. He also has a hearing
        impairment called Auditory Neuropathy and he has a lazy eye that we are
        correcting with patching, as well as a mild near sightedness in both eyes
        that he wears glasses for. He was delivered via c-section and was delivered
        second. There were three minutes between the two of them. He was on the
        ventilator for 33 days and oxygen for nearly the entire three months but did
        not have to come home on oxygen. His brother, although he also had to be in
        the NICU for 3 months, is perfectly normal, if not a bit above his age
        developmentally. They are nearly 23 months old.

        Kim (Jaxon and Brixon's mom)
        I was wondering how many of those with cp were premature.

        --- [Pre-scanned for viruses by Internet America.]

      • Brian Sell
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2003
          I have fraternal twin boys who will be four years old in August. They
          were born via emergency c-section at 28 weeks. The first born required
          a little oxygen for a short time at birth and has been healthy and right
          on target with his growth and development. My second twin was on the
          ventilator for about a month and required some form of breathing
          assistance for three months as well, but did not have to come home on
          it. He has CP mostly high tone in his quads and hips and low tone in
          his trunk. He also has Auditory Neuropathy. He has had the cochlear
          implant for a year now has made so much progress with his speech,
          language and cognition.
          I am finding that he may have a depth perception problem and am going to
          get his vision checked again to see if there have been any changes or if
          is just his balance and security issues of not being able to stand on
          his own and when he uses his walker if he is just too nervous on even
          the slightest uneven ground.
          As I was reading about your family, I thought did I write that :)?

          One question I have for anyone is if they have any experience with the
          selective dorsal rhizotomy surgery?

          Nicole

          I was wondering how many of those with cp were premature.

          --- [Pre-scanned for viruses by Internet America.]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=247865.3355058.4641699.1512248/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          013500:HM/A=1482387/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=105425883
          8%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1512248/D=egroupweb/S=1705013500:HM/A=14823
          87/R=1=1054258838%3eM=247865.3355058.4641699.1512248/D=egroupweb/S=17050
          13500:HM/A=1482387/R=2>

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=247865.3355058.4641699.1512248/D=egrou
          pmail/S=:HM/A=1482387/rand=884383744>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        • Curt & Kim
          Message 4 of 5 , May 30, 2003
            Nicole,

            I was reading your post and got confused. I thought, "I know I wrote this,
            but I don't remember saying it that way." Ha! Then I read your comment,
            "As I was reading about your family, I thought, did I write this?" and I
            realized that I have a twin! :-) Wow, do we have something in common.

            My son has mostly high tone in his calves, hams and hips and low tone in
            his trunk. He has some arm/hand involvement, but is very functional in his
            use of his extremities. Has your son ever had botox shots? We had one
            round in the calves in Feb. and it was a really good thing for Jaxon.

            When was your son implanted? Jaxon came home profoundly deaf, but he has
            matured with age, his hearing has improved as well, so we are holding off on
            the implant for now. We will not wait any further past age 2 1/2 -3 years
            if we really feel he needs it. He is saying a few words now and has
            acquired 2-3 new consonant sounds just in the past 2 weeks, so needless to
            say, we are hopeful he will "come around," all the while we are trying to be
            realistic.

            Glad to hear from you. My boys will be 2 in July, so our sons are 2 years
            apart!

            Kim