new here

  • andrea stansbury <recsmom@lycos.com>
    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 3, 2003
      My son has just been diagnosed with diplegic cerebral palsy... the
      doctor said it is a very mild case, and that he will not get any
      worse...only better. he is 21 months old. I keep looking for
      information but it seems as if everything I find is for severe(SP?)
      cases of cerebral palsy...I am concerned that maybe it isn't as mild
      as he made it seem....does anyone know of any good books I could read
      on the subject of mild cerebral palsy?
    • debra Marasco-McNulty
      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 4, 2003
        Dear Andrea,
        I am not familiar with diplegic CP, try the website
        for Exceptional Parent magazine. If they reference a
        back issue, I have about 3 years of issues and I can
        send you a copy, they usually charge to download some
        of their info now.

        My son has severe CP and I find the opposite in our
        case. Most are not as severe as Jason. Most walk,
        talk, have development delays where my son tends to
        have no development, like in motor.

        The truth is, I don't think doctors can really know,
        and depending on their personality and the day they
        are having, whether they are pessimistic or optomistic
        on diagnosis of the future for a child. When my son
        was discharged (26 years ago) from a neurology clinic,
        there was no evidence of brain damage. Guess what?
        Of course, there has been medical advancements, but
        the factors that cannot be seen are the early
        intervention and therapies, school systems, the drive
        of the people supporting the child and the personality
        of the child.

        When working in the schools, I saw children walk who
        were never supposed to, I saw children who were were
        given 1 or 2 years to live graduate from high school.
        Take one day at a time and grab and hold onto every
        opportunity and just love the unique person they are.

        Debra
        --- "andrea stansbury <recsmom@...>"

        http://mailplus.yahoo.com
      • mabpcn1@juno.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 5, 2003
          Hi Andrea

          This is my first post here. I just had to answer your post. My son
          Christian is also diagnosed with mild cerebral palsy. As I am fiding
          with everything I read, each case of CP is a unique one. You are not
          going to find a specific book to categorize your son. Christian is now
          32 months old and in the past two weeks has just started taking his first
          steps in a sling walker. Although he has been diagnosed a quad spastic
          cp child, his physical therapist says in all her years she has never seen
          such a unique nontextbook case as Christian. Do you live in the US, if
          so, ask your pediatrician for a referral to Early Intervention, if they
          have not already given it to you. Phil and I would be totally hopeless
          without this program. They not only offer your child great services, but
          also offer you as a family great support on any issue you may have. We
          will be greatly saddened this May when Christian leaves EI, and
          transitions into the Public School. I hope this helps, and welcome to
          the group.

          Mary Benson
          son of Christian 5/5/2000

          On Tue, 04 Feb 2003 07:30:30 -0000 "andrea stansbury <recsmom@...>"
          <recsmom@...> writes:
          My son has just been diagnosed with diplegic cerebral palsy... the
          doctor said it is a very mild case, and that he will not get any
          worse...only better. he is 21 months old. I keep looking for
          information but it seems as if everything I find is for severe(SP?)
          cases of cerebral palsy...I am concerned that maybe it isn't as mild
          as he made it seem....does anyone know of any good books I could read
          on the subject of mild cerebral palsy?

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Andrea Stansbury
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 5, 2003
            we are already dealing with first steps...an EI program...the only one I really have a problem with there is our case manager...she rarely keeps her appionments or calls to let us know she won't make it...

          • nikki
            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 6, 2003
              Dear Andrea,

              My son was diagnosed with mild cp ( Spatic Diplegia) i have found no books on mild cp, maybe try scope website as they r always helpful.

              thanks
              Nikki

              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 7, 2005
                Hello, all!
                Our beautiful daughter has just turned 3 years old. She is adopted,
                and was born at about 30 weeks weighing less than 4 lbs. and was in
                the hospital for 30 days.

                She was initially diagnosed as having a shortened heel cord, but a
                follow-up visit to an orthopedist in our new state told us that it
                was NOT a physical problem, but a neurological one, and said it
                was "mild CP."

                Daughter drags her left foot and wears off the top of the shoe where
                she drags her toes along the ground. She has begun to add a little
                skip to her running to compensate. She falls a LOT, but seems to be
                better at staying upright than she used to. Orthopedist said she
                might continue to improve as she ages.

                I'd be interested in hearing your comments and responses to our
                story. Should we be pursuing some sort of PT? I feel like we
                haven't gotten much guidance or advice from the medical community.

                Thanks-
                Laura
              • greta von der luft
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 7, 2005
                  Hello,
                  As a PT I would definitely pursue it to evaluate whether her motor skills are age appropriate, whether she has decreased balance, coordination, and strength compared to her peers. If you reside in the USA then she may be eligible for center based early intervention PT services.
                  Greta PT

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 7, 2005
                    Does she have a AFO on that foot? Jena

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 7, 2005
                      HI,
                      My son has mild CP too. He has early intervention till age three and then he is suppose to start pre-school. Early intervention is a teacher that comes out to the house and helps him overcome his developemental delays. I'ts free the state covers it. His neurologist recommended pre-school to give him an early start on school.He goes to PT 2 a week and OT 2 a month. I also do stretches at home and massage his legs. He walks with braces. And talks a lot!
                      I know how you feel about not getting the right advise. I learned from all this that you are your childs advocate. No body else is going to on top of her care better than you. I know this from my own experience. It seems like not one docter was on the ball with my son. My son has spasticity in his legs so he was also recently referred to a spasticity clinic. They have drugs out there like botox to help with that.
                      Well I'm here if you ever need to talk. Sometimes the best information comes from those who have been there.
                      Take care of yourselves and your sweet girl,
                      Staci

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 7, 2005
                        I had to look up AFO because I didn't even know what that was.
                        Neither the orthopedist nor our pediatrician ever mentioned anything
                        like that. I have a sick feeling that our daughter probably should
                        have had an AFO long ago. Although her left leg and foot looked
                        very different from her right as a baby, this CP diagnosis is recent
                        and probably not even in her chart at the pediatrician's office.
                        Laura

                        --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Jena" <holmanj@c...>
                        wrote:
                        > Does she have a AFO on that foot? Jena

                        cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com<mailto:cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroup
                        s.com>

                        unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<mailto:cerebralpalsyclub-

                        of Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                        of Service.

                      • gina moresco
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 10, 2005
                          my son is 15 and sounds just like your daughter wore out one shoe on toe he did wear afo's four about 5 years it made stand taller he is a little bent kneed "gait" walked scissor like, but as he got older and played sports they made him clumsey so, we took them off and he could move faster. He did fall alot when younger as he got older his balance got better, rarely does he fall, only when not paying attention and somewhere not familar. We did alot of pt when young. Its a good idea. He does pt sometimes now, but is old enough now to do it on his own well, his is suppose too!

                          Laura <harpyabroad@...> wrote:I had to look up AFO because I didn't even know what that was.

                          wrote:
                          > Does she have a AFO on that foot? Jena

                        • staci woods
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 10, 2005
                            Don't feel bad for not getting afo's and PT right away. We didn't have that stuff right away either. My son was almoust two before he got decent AFOs. Everything you do has a wait.First you apply, then you wait for insurence to approve, or your on a waiting list for PT. We have state insurence. They are slow.
                            Staci

                            wrote:
                            > Does she have a AFO on that foot? Jena

                          • chasesmom111
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 23, 2005
                              Hi I'm new to this group. My son is 12mths old and has cp. He can't
                              sit up and barely rolls over. I would like advise on ways to help him.
                              thank very much
                            • Diane Freeby
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 23, 2005
                                Hi! You are at at least one advantage here, in that you have an early diagnosis of cp. It took us until Christopher was 3 for the doctors to figure it out. At least we were given access to early intervention and physical therapy, and that's the best advice I can give. Take advantage of all First-Steps programs for kids with special needs, even if you think it's really not necessary. Had we known more earlier, we might have been able to do even more therapy-wise...but probably not much as we were very lucky with the wonderful people who worked with us.

                                Our boy didn't sit up on his own at 12-months either, but six-to-nine months later he did....in fact, his developmental delays have been very consistently 6-9 months "behind." I would also suggest all the love and attention you can provide, while being aware of over-stimulation. Our son, like many "normal" babies, would become overwhelmed with too much stimulation....you have to find that right balance. The other good thing regarding cp is that it doesn't get "worse," although some things may be more noticeable as the child grows.

                                By the way, our boy who didn't sit up until later and didn't really walk until 2 1/2 now rides a bike (with adaptive training wheels..."Fat Wheels"), works at the snackbar at our Little League Park and is giving football a try with his 5th grade buddies this Fall! Don't let developmental delays get you down, because all children have potential that we can't even imagine. Our guy may not be able to run and jump as easily as the other kids, but he has always seemed to find ways to adapt! Hang in there....God bless-

                                Diane

                                chasesmom111 <chasesmom111@...> wrote:
                                Hi I'm new to this group. My son is 12mths old and has cp. He can't
                                sit up and barely rolls over. I would like advise on ways to help him.
                                thank very much

                              • Saurabh Vasa
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 24, 2005
                                  Hi,

                                  I would really like u to suggest for one therapy it is named as G-Therapy.
                                  Please visit www.g-therapy.org

                                  After surfing the whole site, you will definately find this therapy much more then others surgery solution. There is no side effects, its the main point.

                                  My friends baby suffering from CP. She is just 2months old. After a lots of search on web i have found this one. And also some members from different groups have suggest me. So, even i would like you to pay some attention on this G-Therapy.

                                  For any kind of support and to be in touch, plz dont hesitate. I am just a email away from you.

                                  Plz mail me at fragrances82@...

                                  Best wishes to you and ur kid.

                                  Warm Regds,

                                  Saurabh. (India)

                                  chasesmom111 <chasesmom111@...> wrote:
                                  Hi I'm new to this group. My son is 12mths old and has cp. He can't
                                  sit up and barely rolls over. I would like advise on ways to help him.
                                  thank very much

                                  What makes some people DEAREST ,
                                  Just the HAPPINESS that you feel
                                  When you MEET them, NO
                                  But the PAIN you feel
                                  When you MISS them

                                • staci woods

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Oct 19, 2005
                                      Hi-
                                      My name is Elizabeth and I have a 2yr old boy with spastic
                                      quadriplegia.Looking forward to chatting with others to get
                                      advice,support and maybe vent once in a while,lol.
                                    • staci woods
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Oct 19, 2005
                                        HI Elizabeth,
                                        Welcome, This really is a great bunch of people. I also have a two year old son with spastic quad CP. His case is mild. He walks(AFO's) and talks. He is a awesome little boy. I know what you mean about needing to vent. I'de love to learn more about you and your wonderful son. Better get to bed it's late here. I'll be looking forward to your mail.
                                        Staci, mom of Hunter 2, Zoe 17 months

                                        Elizabeth <elizamom@...> wrote:
                                        Hi-
                                        My name is Elizabeth and I have a 2yr old boy with spastic
                                        quadriplegia.Looking forward to chatting with others to get
                                        advice,support and maybe vent once in a while,lol.

                                        Cerebral palsy lawyer Cerebral palsy attorney Cerebral palsy Family intervention Family rafting trip Family vacations

                                      • Mary Fox
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Oct 20, 2005
                                          Welcome to the group! My son, Phillip, will be two on Nov. 3rd. He has
                                          ataxic CP (moderate to severe). This has been a great place for
                                          support...I hope you enjoy chatting with the rest of us!

                                          -Mary

                                          staci woods wrote:
                                          > HI Elizabeth,
                                          > Welcome, This really is a great bunch of people. I also have a two year
                                          > old son with spastic quad CP. His case is mild. He walks(AFO's) and
                                          > talks. He is a awesome little boy. I know what you mean about needing to
                                          > vent. I'de love to learn more about you and your wonderful son. Better
                                          > get to bed it's late here. I'll be looking forward to your mail.
                                          > Staci, mom of Hunter 2, Zoe 17 months
                                          >
                                          > Elizabeth <elizamom@...> wrote:
                                          > Hi-
                                          > My name is Elizabeth and I have a 2yr old boy with spastic
                                          > quadriplegia.Looking forward to chatting with others to get
                                          > advice,support and maybe vent once in a while,lol.

                                          > Cerebral palsy lawyer Cerebral palsy attorney Cerebral palsy Family
                                          > intervention Family rafting trip Family vacations

                                        • elizabeth hockenberry

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Oct 20, 2005
                                              Hi Elizabeth,
                                              My son turned two January 30th so hes actually closer to 3. Hunter couldn't sit and crawl till past one. He still sits w style a lot. When he sits on his but his legs are bent at an angle because his muscles are tight. And he leans back to fight that stretch. He didn't talk a lot till he got his braces at 21 months. Before that all he said was a handful of words. He also had eye surgery for strabismus at 17 months. His OT saiys that if he got botox he would be functioning almoust at a normal level. He has a hard time gong up steps, and using a forks the whole meal. We just moved to Texas and so we are starting all over getting doctors set up. Its hard. We have moved a lot since Hunter was born. Me and my husband were in the military stationed in Japan when he was born. When I got out I went back to the states, and my husband was suppose to follow me the next month, but they lost his orders and we ended up being apart for 6 months. We tried living in California his home of record when
                                              he got out, but I missed my family so we moved back here.

                                              You are lucky you are already getting your son botox. Did you have to wait a long time to get it? What was your sons birth like. My son was born 35 weeks with RDS. He then got pneumonia. Did have a clue he had CP untill 9 months I got a heads up from an uncle that has a daughter with CP when they saw him the first time. Wasn't diagnose untill he was 16 months. Thats how long it took to get to go to the nuerologist. Those were the hardest times I wanted to blame myself. I am so much better about it now. Don't know how I would feel if I never found this CP club.
                                              Look forward to your reply!
                                              Staci