transition to pre school from e.i.

  • philnielsen2001 <mabpcn1@juno.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2003
      hello group,
      i recently joined and i find great comfort that i and my family are
      not alone with issues.

      can anyone add their two cents to the transition to pre school. did
      it go smooth or rough, did you learn something after the fact of
      transition that you may have done if you would have known. any info
      would be greatly appreciated.

      we are from mass. my son, christian, is 2 1/2 with c.p. he had a
      stroke at birth. his therepists say he is unique in regards to his
      diagnosis. he is at times totally spastic and other times totally
      loose. his mood plays a major role. he has a thing for music since
      birth. if he is out of control, crying, loosing his breath sobbing
      kind of thing, the instant we put music on, he stops instantly. it is
      very strange but it certainly has helped us at all the doctors
      appointments. every doctor joins in singing by the time we leave.

      he has had botox and works great. he has a.f.o,s with pivots now. he
      can sit for 1 minute to 1/2 hour depending on mood. not able to
      crawl.he can stand at the couch and play with toys for 1/2 hour. he
      has a baldspot on the back of his head that is just starting to grow
      in because of lack of mobility. he cannot speak yet but can say all
      done and more,aloong with sign language.

      i could go on and on ... but will stop. i look forward to learning
      and listening to others issues. thankyou in advance. phil
    • Joanna Adams
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
        Rachel's transition went pretty smoothly .I had her in an early enrichment program for about a year before she started preschool. It was in the same school so it wasn't so hard to move her from one class to the other. The only problem with Rachel was that we couldn't find the ideal placement for her. Rachel has Spastic Diplegia and it is pretty moderate. But Rachel is cognitively and speech wise age appropriate. I put her in a CP center because they have the best therapy but next year she will be going to our 4 year old preschool in town. She will be main streamed by 4.
        The only advice I can give is to stick by what you want. Don't let anyone change what you want for your child. You may have to fight to get what your child needs but it is worth it.
        Good Luck, Joanna SAHM to Rachel 24 weeker now 3 1/2 (CP&FTT), Alexis 1 1/2, and Baby #3 due in May
        "philnielsen2001 <mabpcn1@...>" <mabpcn1@...> wrote:hello group,
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Lynn Downs
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 3, 2003
          Welcome to the group. I also have a son named Christian. He will be 6 on
          the 17th of January. He was born at 27 weeks and was diagnosed with cp when
          he was a year old.
          For Christian, the transition to preschool from EI was a little difficult at
          first. He was scared of the new situation. The EI visits were in a doctor
          s office setting - one on one. The preschool is located in one of our 4
          elementary schools. There were 5 children in each class and 2 classes. At
          first he was overwhelmed with how big and busy everything was but that soon
          changed. By October, he had adjusted wonderfully. I used to come in and
          volunteer in the classroom once a week and I think that helped.
          Now he is in a regular kindergarten class and loves school.
          Lynn