hello everyone

  • jacob272003 <burnosky814@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 30, 2002
      Hi my name is shannon and I have a 2 year old with cp. I wanted to
      share a story of some thing that happened to me today. I took my son
      Jacob to Target, and like always if I have him I park in the handycap
      Parking spot. Well as I was walking out I noticed these two ladies
      staring at me, so I stared back , when they got closer the younger
      of the two spoke up and sayed "You Don't Look Handycapped"!I was
      so shooked that someone would have the nerve!!! All I could do was
      yell back. I was shacking, and then I started to cry, it was so sad
      that they would be so mean. I really don't know what to say to those
      kinds of people. I love for people to ask me questions, because
      I as very open with everything. But they were acusing me of parking
      were I shouldn't. I don't think they saw my son in the car,but
      invited them over to see why I was parking there, but they wanted
      nothing to do with that! well if anyone has had this or something
      similar to this happen to them,please give me some advice on how to
      handle it. thank you very much ! Shannon
    • bettieblue2001
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 31, 2002
        hi shannon!
        i have a 2 year old daughter with cp also. and i have a disabled
        parking permit, which gets alot of use!
        im sorry u were so upset today by those 2 women, it must have been
        awful for u. i havent had anyone say anything to me about it, but in
        australia we apply for and get a ticket that is then displayed in the
        windscreen of the car, so its easy to spot which cars are and are not
        allowed to park in the specified parking bays. i have however, had
        alot of experiences when there is no ticket on the car parked in the
        bay, and i know that alot of times people use them when they arent
        entitled to them, just because they r so much closer to the front of
        the shopping centre. maybe these women were just concerned that u
        were using a parking bay which they didnt realise u were entitled to
        use. and altho i agree totally that they should have listened to u
        when u told them about ur child, i also am glad that people r
        prepared to speak up when they think that these really important
        services for disabled people r being abused.
        i dont have any advice for u, except keep doing what u r doing, u
        know u r entitled to use the space, so try not to let what happened
        today upset u too much more, and maybe the next people those women
        tell off will be deserving of it, and it will stop them using the
        bays in the future :)
        happy new year too shannon!
        all the best
        tania