Conductive Education Study in Grand Rapids for Michigan Residents ages 2-6

  • mjenkin7
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 4, 2007
      Hello,

      I live in the Detroit, Michigan area and I am looking for fellow
      Michigan families to participate in a conductive education study
      conducted by Michigan State University at the Aquinas College
      Conductive Learning Center in Grand Rapids. I'd like my 2-year-old
      son to be enrolled in the February 2008 session and we need at least
      one more 2-3 year old student for the session to be held. Also, the
      April 2008 session needs at least one more 2-3 year old to be held.
      I'm hoping we might be able to rideshare and possibly share childcare
      arrangements.

      Description of Conductive Education from the Aquinas College
      Conductive Learning Center Website: http://www.aquinas.edu/clc/

      Conductive education is an intensive, multi-disciplinary approach to
      education, training and development for individuals with cerebral
      palsy, spina bifida and other motor challenges.
      Developed in 1945 in Hungary by Dr. Andras Peto, conductive education
      is based on the theory that the central nervous system has the
      capacity to form new neural connections, despite neurological damage.
      By repeating tasks and integrating intentional movement with learning,
      the brain creates alternate paths to send messages to muscle groups,
      creating the desired movements. Through this, a child can gain
      movement and skills, and achieve greater levels of independence.

      Study session dates for 2008:

      V. 1/7-2/1 January Session
      VI. 2/4-2/29 February Session
      VII. 3/10-4/4 March Session
      VIII. 4/14-5/9 April Session
      IX. 5/12-6/6 May Session

      The main requirements of the study are:

      Child 2-6 years old when starting conductive education during the study
      Child diagnosed with cerebral palsy
      Child is Michigan resident and speaks English
      Child has never before participated in Conductive Education

      Principal benefit to child: 4 free weeks of Conductive Education

      Here is a brief description of the study, written by Sukyeong Pi,
      Ph.D, the investigator contact for the study:

      Principal Investigator: Dr. Nigel Paneth, MD, MPH, professor at the
      Dept. of Epidemiology, MSU
      Funding Source: Michigan Department of Education
      Purpose of Study: To help provide clear, scientific evidence about
      how well conductive educational works compared to other early
      interventions for CP.
      Target Population: Children with CP, ages 2-6, who reside in Michigan
      and are considered eligible by the program director (Andrea
      Benyovszky) of Conductive Learning Center (CLC) in Grand Rapids.
      Children who attended conductive education in the past are NOT eligible.
      Study Procedures: Eligibility interview, 3 assessments by a physical
      therapist before and after the intervention, and Intervention (4 week
      conductive education)
      Conductive Education: Participants will receive a free 4 week
      conductive education at CLC; 3-5 hours a day at CLC based on child's
      age group

      Here is the contact information for the study. If you are interested
      in participating, please consider contacting me also either to let me
      know if we have more students for our Feb or April class or, if
      desired, to discuss possible rideshare and/or childcare arrangements.
      Also, I'd be glad to answer any questions. Please send me an email at
      thiitb-1234@..., or respond via the Yahoo group "respond to
      individual" option. (I always choose the "announcements only" email
      option in these groups and so don't directly get the general group
      email... and I don't have time to check the group websites very often!)

      Thanks for your interest!

      Sukyeong Pi, Ph.D
      Madeleine Lenski, MSPH
      Dept of Epidemiology
      Michigan State University
      B601 West Fee Hall
      East Lansing, MI 48824
      517-353-8623 (x111)
      1-888-817-1731
      Fax: 517-432-1130
      Email: spi@...
      Website: www.epi.msu.edu/cpon

      Melissa and Dakota Jenkins, Detroit Area, Michigan