Re: [CEREBRAL PALSY CLUB] Help! 7 month old has Cerebral Palsy & I don't know what to expect.

  • vaine_manea
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 26, 2007
      hi,
      my daughter has hypoxic ishaemic encepelapothy due to lack of oxygen at birth(she had shoulder dystocia and was stuck as she was quite a large baby 11pounds).considering the trauma she's had at birth. when she was a newborn she was put on an NG tube because she wasn't feeding at all. she was delayed with her development and still is. she's now 28 mo and can crawl, stand, babble and can say mum dad and up hello and also can understand things i say to her like where's your nose,mouth,ear,hair dog, ball etc.......she can crwal normally but when she gets tired of that she'll go back to commando crawling. she did rock alot before she started to crawl... she can now sit up, has so for a few months now which she loves to do. she also sits "w" alot which her physio said its not good. she also had truncal hypotonia which is why it took her a long time to sit unassisted.she is developing slowly but has come such a long was. we're niw waitng for her MRI when shes 2 years of
      age... also i forgot to mention that shes now on a G tube has been since feb this year, she can eat and drink orally and swallowing is normal, but she just wont take enough to sustain herself... i think its because shes so used to being automatically full, so why would she wanna eat... she see's a dietitian, physio and speech path... her paediatrician is happy with her development even though it is slow... speech path said her cognitive skills are great

    • lbruneian
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 27, 2007
        --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Erika" <sullykidsmom@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello Sue! You know, it is hard to determine what he will be able to
        > achieve and what he won't be able to achieve in the future. I do
        > know that CP does not get worse over time. Symptoms can though seem
        > more prominent than others on certain days. For example when they
        > are ill, sometimes they tend to be more week. But, that goes for all
        > of us right? Your doctor should be able to tell you what the
        > severity of his CP is. I know that my son has similar problems and
        > is a spastic quadriplegic. He will be two next week and is just
        > beginning to master sitting. He is trying to crawl but, is not
        > coordinated enough yet. All of the advice that I can really give is,
        > keep up on his stretching and fine motor activities. If he is
        > anything like my son, you need to stretch him every day and work with
        > him on his fine motor activities. Keep your head up! Children with
        > CP are a blessing!!!
        >
        > Hello Erika
        I saw that you gave some comforting advice to Sue and I think it's
        good. I'm curious. How do you do the stretching and fine motor
        activities (some examples please) for your son....if you don't mind
        sharing. I have a 6yr old daughter (Spastic quadriplegic) too and she
        can't crawl, sit, stand or walk at all. Only sit with support.
        Wow......everyday? I don't know if I can do it everyday because I'm a
        working mum and when I get home I have loads of housework to do, etc.
        More so when we don't have a babysitter. Would appreciate some
        advice/ideas from you Erika if you don't mind. Thanks. Lucz