hip reconstruction

  • Michaelle
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2007
      My 15 year old daughter needs hip reconstruction, due to her C.P.They
      want to wait till she's older to do a hip replacement. Just would like
      to know if anyone has gone through this. Recovery time, pro's and cons
      that sort of thing.

      Thanks for any help you can offer.
    • kalong1963
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2007
        --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Michaelle"
        <purpledoors1018@...> wrote:

        > My 15 year old daughter needs hip reconstruction, due to her C.P.They
        > want to wait till she's older to do a hip replacement. Just would like
        > to know if anyone has gone through this. Recovery time, pro's and cons
        > that sort of thing.
        >
        > Thanks for any help you can offer.

        Why would they want to wait? Maybe until it gets worse? Obviously she
        has gone through puberty(am assuming)so her bone growth is finished. To
        me it seems like it would be better to do now so she can get on with
        rehab with a good hips. My stepdaughter has CP, is 14, and getting
        ready to probably undergo surgery for her scoliosis (80 degree curve)
        and as soon as that is taken care of and healed then it will be time to
        move on to her hips because one of them has terrible subluxation. We
        are going to ask them to go ahead and get the hips repaired because we
        know that it will take a long time for healing therefore missing school
        and the older she gets the more important being in school is. She
        however is in a regular classroom and of normal cognition and it is
        very important for her to keep up and the longer we wait to do these
        things then the longer we wait to get rehabed which is going to cut
        into the 4 or 5 years that she has left before college. We want her to
        be able to attend college fairly independently and if these surgeries
        are postponed then that postpones everything in her life.

        I would just ask why in the world they would want to wait since she is
        already 15 years old.
      • Michaelle
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 4, 2007
          --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, "kalong1963"
          <kellyalong@...> wrote:

          > --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Michaelle"
          > <purpledoors1018@> wrote:
          > >
          > > My 15 year old daughter needs hip reconstruction, due to her
          C.P.They
          > > want to wait till she's older to do a hip replacement. Just would
          like
          > > to know if anyone has gone through this. Recovery time, pro's and
          cons
          > > that sort of thing.
          > >
          > > Thanks for any help you can offer.
          >

          > Why would they want to wait? Maybe until it gets worse? Obviously
          she
          > has gone through puberty(am assuming)so her bone growth is
          finished. To
          > me it seems like it would be better to do now so she can get on
          with
          > rehab with a good hips. My stepdaughter has CP, is 14, and getting
          > ready to probably undergo surgery for her scoliosis (80 degree
          curve)
          > and as soon as that is taken care of and healed then it will be
          time to
          > move on to her hips because one of them has terrible subluxation.
          We
          > are going to ask them to go ahead and get the hips repaired because
          we
          > know that it will take a long time for healing therefore missing
          school
          > and the older she gets the more important being in school is. She
          > however is in a regular classroom and of normal cognition and it is
          > very important for her to keep up and the longer we wait to do
          these
          > things then the longer we wait to get rehabed which is going to cut
          > into the 4 or 5 years that she has left before college. We want
          her to
          > be able to attend college fairly independently and if these
          surgeries
          > are postponed then that postpones everything in her life.
          >
          > I would just ask why in the world they would want to wait since she
          is
          > already 15 years old.

          They dont' believe she is finished growing yet. Her leg does not sit
          in the socket, just barely riding on the edge of it.The x-rays look
          horrific. I would like the hip totally replaced. They are going to
          graph bone to make her socket extend out more.

          I hate to put her through more surgery as she has had several
          already. None of which have been for the hip.By the way she has had
          all procedures preformed at Shriners Hospital for Children.

          She is not of normal cognition. But, I worry about all the school she
          will miss as well. She is in 8th grade but works at a 4th grade level.

          I wish the best for your daughter, college how wonderful! :)