MELATONIN USE FOR SLEEP AWAKENINGS

  • ALMA
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2006
      Hi. I am looking for new experiences with use of Melatonin to help
      with your/your child's sleep problems. I have a 2.5 year old, former
      27 wkr preemie, with spastic quad, CVI, GERD, just got a g tube in
      August. Since my dtr became a toddler, I noticed that she is starting
      to wake more (at least 2 times a night). After she got her g tube
      surgery, her sleep awakenings have increased (3-6 times a night).
      This even occurs when we are not on night pump feeds. I think her
      GERD is under control, but when she is on the night pump I do notice
      that half the time she gets up, she passes gas. So, one theory of her
      night awakenings is gassiness. I have tried Mylicon and it does not
      help consistently. Now, I am looking at Melatonin.

      I have done some research on the internet looking at published medical
      trials with children with neuro and occular conditions. Most report
      modest to significant improvement in less awakenings. I would like to
      hear from cp individuals and or parents with children with similar
      sleep problems.

      Thanks for your help!

      Alma
    • kristibelle2004
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 20, 2006
        Alma,

        My daugher is 23mths old and we have been giving her melatonin since
        she was 14 mths old. Kailyn is diagnosed with spastic quad CP, CVI,
        and GERD but eats on her own. She use to have a hard time getting
        to sleep and would wake to noise easily in the night. I find that
        the melatonin helps to get her to sleep and keep her alseep
        throughout the night, but that it sometimes aggrevates her GERD.
        Kailyn is 26lbs and I give her one crushed up 3mg tablet in her
        evening bottle. I hope this helps. Good luck!

        Kristine Krishtal
        www.KailynKrishtal.com

        --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, "ALMA" <liliocat@...>