Re: [CEREBRAL PALSY CLUB] im a new girl....lol

  • Andrea Gaston
    Message 1 of 17 , Dec 1, 2006
      I have not easy answer for you about the botox. It has never been offered to me and it is really helping my niece but like the other gril said sometimes you have to weigh the options of the side effects. It would be fine with me if you started sending me direct e-mails instead of through here then I could be a little more personal. I also wanted to said that the other girl who wrote you made a good point about helping your son learn to make fun of his self, as stupid as it sound once people realize that he can laugh at him self the teasing get less and less b/c it doesn't effect him anymore. If I couldn't make fun of myself for tripping or falling down I really think that I would live a miserable life. Well I will wirte more later and feel free to ask any other questions that you might have, I'll answer them the best I can.

      Andrea

      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2006
        See he dont laugh at himself at all when he falls and
        kids make a big deal out of it and they dont all make
        fun of him even if some just try to help him he gets
        very angry he yells throws things and wants to hit all
        the time i dont know how to change his anger i feel so
        bad when i see him gettin that mad. If you dont mind
        me asking what form of cp do you have? and what is the
        exstent of yours i know your older and stuff just
        sounds like you have been through the same things so i
        was just askin thats all i know your e mail says
        married so have you been married and do you have
        children? did it have any draw backs for you with
        havin a family my son will all the time tell me his
        legs are stupid and lazy and i tell him all the time
        no thats not true there just really weak and can't
        help it but he is sooo mad i dont know where he got
        that from i dont know if kids said it or he's just so
        mad taht he came out with it well i dont want to bore
        you with to many q's at a time so i will talk later

        i tryed to e mail to you but it says there is an error
        and wont let me will yo utry to e mail me back in mine
        this time tam_23_2000@...
        wrote:

        > I have not easy answer for you about the botox. It
        > has never been offered to me and it is really
        > helping my niece but like the other gril said
        > sometimes you have to weigh the options of the side
        > effects. It would be fine with me if you started
        > sending me direct e-mails instead of through here
        > then I could be a little more personal. I also
        > wanted to said that the other girl who wrote you
        > made a good point about helping your son learn to
        > make fun of his self, as stupid as it sound once
        > people realize that he can laugh at him self the
        > teasing get less and less b/c it doesn't effect him
        > anymore. If I couldn't make fun of myself for
        > tripping or falling down I really think that I would
        > live a miserable life. Well I will wirte more later
        > and feel free to ask any other questions that you
        > might have, I'll answer them the best I can.
        >
        > Andrea

        === message truncated ===

        Tammy Brown!!!

        Cheap talk?
        http://voice.yahoo.com
      • Andrea Gaston
        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2006
          Tammy,
          I don't know what the medical term that they associate with my type of cp but the only thing that is really affected with me is my legs. I still have afos that I'm suppost to wear. I have never had to rely on a walker or chruches but I have known people who did I and I can honestly say that if he is determended to walk without them he will in time. Some times I have trouble with my hands too but mostly my feet.I can understand the anger too though even toward the people who are trying to help him. When you have cp you fight so hard to do things on your own that when you do fall and people start flocking over to help it makes you mad because I can almost bet you that he is think "I fell down and I can get up without all these people flocking to me. They don't do this when other kids fall" As for him not being able to "make fun" of his self that may come with time, it sound to me like right now your son is trying so hard to be independent that anger is his main emotion. As
          for me yes it sounds like I have been through alot of the same things that he is going thru. I am 20 years old and have been married a little over a year. We don't have any children yet and as for draw back as a person with cp the only thing I have found so far is that no one can tell me if my body is going to be able to handle having a baby other wise all it takes to have a family is the willingness to find another way to complish things if you can't do it the way everyone else would. As for him telling you that his legs are stupid and lazy...... when you said that I laughed because I have said that about my own feet. I would think that is just something he says when he is angry. I know when I say something like that it's because I have tried to do something and haven't been able to complish it and I'm angry. It's just one of those things where you don't know what else to say and you are so frusterated that you have to say something. Well I hope that this helps you some
          and I'm glad to have found someone on this chat that was really here for support and advice not dating and the stock market. I hope some of what I am saying is helping you understand a little better what may be running through your son's mind. It wouldn't let me send you an e-mail through yahoo either sorry

          wrote:

          > No botox injections were not offered when I was a
          > kid however my niece also has cp and they give her
          > botox injections and they really help her. My
          > understanding is that botox injections replace a
          > very painful surgery.

          Tammy Brown!!!

          Cheap talk?
          http://voice. yahoo.com

        • TAMMY B
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 1, 2006
            thats wierd wonder why it wont let us do that just
            seemsl ike it would be quicker i guess i dont know
            anyways yea def anger issues we were told he had
            spastic diapoligia its a form of cp but only effects
            his legs but he is a trooper i gotta say s oas you got
            older then you think it got easier for you to deal
            with he is on a swim team for special olypics he loves
            it so thats a plus for him did you ever get into any
            sports?
            and do you drive a car and stuff or is it gonna be
            hard when he tryes to get his licence how does that
            work?

            wrote:

            > Tammy,
            > I don't know what the medical term that they
            > associate with my type of cp but the only thing that
            > is really affected with me is my legs. I still have
            > afos that I'm suppost to wear. I have never had to
            > rely on a walker or chruches but I have known people
            > who did I and I can honestly say that if he is
            > determended to walk without them he will in time.
            > Some times I have trouble with my hands too but
            > mostly my feet.I can understand the anger too though
            > even toward the people who are trying to help him.
            > When you have cp you fight so hard to do things on
            > your own that when you do fall and people start
            > flocking over to help it makes you mad because I can
            > almost bet you that he is think "I fell down and I
            > can get up without all these people flocking to me.
            > They don't do this when other kids fall" As for him
            > not being able to "make fun" of his self that may
            > come with time, it sound to me like right now your
            > son is trying so hard to be independent that anger
            > is his main emotion. As
            > for me yes it sounds like I have been through alot
            > of the same things that he is going thru. I am 20
            > years old and have been married a little over a
            > year. We don't have any children yet and as for draw
            > back as a person with cp the only thing I have found
            > so far is that no one can tell me if my body is
            > going to be able to handle having a baby other wise
            > all it takes to have a family is the willingness to
            > find another way to complish things if you can't do
            > it the way everyone else would. As for him telling
            > you that his legs are stupid and lazy...... when you
            > said that I laughed because I have said that about
            > my own feet. I would think that is just something he
            > says when he is angry. I know when I say something
            > like that it's because I have tried to do something
            > and haven't been able to complish it and I'm angry.
            > It's just one of those things where you don't know
            > what else to say and you are so frusterated that you
            > have to say something. Well I hope that this helps
            > you some
            > and I'm glad to have found someone on this chat
            > that was really here for support and advice not
            > dating and the stock market. I hope some of what I
            > am saying is helping you understand a little better
            > what may be running through your son's mind. It
            > wouldn't let me send you an e-mail through yahoo
            > either sorry

            === message truncated ===

            Tammy Brown!!!

            Want to start your own business?
            Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
            http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
          • sivaya9
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 2, 2006
              in answer to the question of driving - i have spastic cp and am 50
              years old - i have been driving with hand controls and a knob on tthe
              steering wheel since age 17 - information about hand controls can be
              found at any Independent Living Center or Rehabilitation Center - they
              are pricey but I have had mine for over 30 years and not replaced them
              once. Driving is no problem...

              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 2, 2006
                I agree 100 percent about what has been said about kids teasing - it
                will get better with time - about the walker - i would not be in too
                big of a hurry to get to crutches - they are easier to handle but they
                put more weight on the ankles which is something that could develop
                arthritus in the ankles and knees later...this is what happened for
                me...everything in the world of rehab is a trade off in my experience
                - and since cp affects each person slightly differently there is no
                better decision in many cases - we just have to do the best we know
                how at the time...i know this is not an easy answer but i hopw it
                takes some of the pressure off of you...
                --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Gaston
                <proudarmywife08_20_05@...> wrote:

                > Tammy,
                > I don't know what the medical term that they associate with my type
                of cp but the only thing that is really affected with me is my legs. I
                still have afos that I'm suppost to wear. I have never had to rely on
                a walker or chruches but I have known people who did I and I can
                honestly say that if he is determended to walk without them he will in
                time. Some times I have trouble with my hands too but mostly my feet.I
                can understand the anger too though even toward the people who are
                trying to help him. When you have cp you fight so hard to do things on
                your own that when you do fall and people start flocking over to help
                it makes you mad because I can almost bet you that he is think "I fell
                down and I can get up without all these people flocking to me. They
                don't do this when other kids fall" As for him not being able to "make
                fun" of his self that may come with time, it sound to me like right
                now your son is trying so hard to be independent that anger is his
                main emotion. As
                > for me yes it sounds like I have been through alot of the same
                things that he is going thru. I am 20 years old and have been married
                a little over a year. We don't have any children yet and as for draw
                back as a person with cp the only thing I have found so far is that no
                one can tell me if my body is going to be able to handle having a baby
                other wise all it takes to have a family is the willingness to find
                another way to complish things if you can't do it the way everyone
                else would. As for him telling you that his legs are stupid and
                lazy...... when you said that I laughed because I have said that about
                my own feet. I would think that is just something he says when he is
                angry. I know when I say something like that it's because I have tried
                to do something and haven't been able to complish it and I'm angry.
                It's just one of those things where you don't know what else to say
                and you are so frusterated that you have to say something. Well I hope
                that this helps you some
                > and I'm glad to have found someone on this chat that was really
                here for support and advice not dating and the stock market. I hope
                some of what I am saying is helping you understand a little better
                what may be running through your son's mind. It wouldn't let me send
                you an e-mail through yahoo either sorry

              • staci
                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 4, 2006
                  Hi everyone. I haven't been on in a while but my son goes this wednesday to the Scottish Rite hospital to look into botox. I well let you guys know all I found out. I never really had doubts about doing it but then again I never heard of it causing setbacks.

                  Staci Mom to Hunter 3CP and Zoe 2 baby due 3-28-07

                  wrote:

                  > No botox injections were not offered when I was a
                  > kid however my niece also has cp and they give her
                  > botox injections and they really help her. My
                  > understanding is that botox injections replace a
                  > very painful surgery.

                  Tammy Brown!!!

                  Cheap talk?
                  http://voice. yahoo.com

                • staci
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 4, 2006
                    Hey guys just want to say how happy I am that theres is somone on here with CP that can give us all this great advise. I feel much better about things when I here people with that experience. I have a cousin with Cp and she has been awesome to me in helping me through this. Shes also recently married and just had a baby. So that gives me so much hope that Hunter can do anything.

                    I have noticed how right it is to make jokes about yourself when you have Cp and that seems to be a good way to get through it. My cousin told me her and her brother that was a year younger than her use to tell everyone they were twins because she was held back a year from her sugeries. They also use to joke and say she was in a car accident when people asked her about her CP.

                    Staci Mom to Hunter 3 CP and Zoe 2 and baby on the way 3-28-06

                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 4, 2006
                      my son is almost 6 he been getting the botox for about
                      2 years or so and it does make a huge difference my
                      only doubts are like sometimes when they do it after a
                      week of it setting into his body his legs get so weak
                      he has had to crawl to the bathroom he can't walk at
                      all sometimes he goes to boston childrens hosp. then
                      he will go in and get casted up for about 4 weeks teh
                      they take them off and he is so weak it takes about 2
                      months to get hte strenght back so he can walk fairly
                      good for about 2-3 months then it starts wearing off
                      and we have to do it again so i wnder if its worth
                      what he goes through sometimes i think yea but when he
                      crys because he can't walk on his legs its hard but
                      everyone is different hopefully it will work out good
                      for you

                      === message truncated ===

                      Tammy Brown!!!

                      http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                    • Sambhavi
                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 4, 2006
                        i had casting as a young child and i understand what you are talking about with that - do you know what the doctors are thinking the benifit is for your son? This was not clear to me from your writing. I say again that each proceedure is a trade off - gives some benifit and some problem at the same time - hopefully the benifit is bigger than the problem
                        Love and Prayers

                        Sambhavi

                        --- staci <flygirl_82us@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                        > Hi everyone. I haven't been on in a while but my son

                        > goes this wednesday to the Scottish Rite hospital to

                        > look into botox. I well let you guys know all I

                        > found out. I never really had doubts about doing it

                        > but then again I never heard of it causing setbacks.

                        > Staci Mom to Hunter 3CP and Zoe 2 baby due 3-28-07

                        > Andrea Gaston <proudarmywife08_ 20_05@yahoo. com>

                        > wrote:

                        > I have not easy answer for you about the

                        > botox. It has never been offered to me and it is

                        > really helping my niece but like the other gril said

                        > sometimes you have to weigh the options of the side

                        > effects. It would be fine with me if you started

                        > sending me direct e-mails instead of through here

                        > then I could be a little more personal. I also

                        > wanted to said that the other girl who wrote you

                        > made a good point about helping your son learn to

                        > make fun of his self, as stupid as it sound once

                        > people realize that he can laugh at him self the

                        > teasing get less and less b/c it doesn't effect him

                        > anymore. If I couldn't make fun of myself for

                        > tripping or falling down I really think that I would

                        > live a miserable life. Well I will wirte more later

                        > and feel free to ask any other questions that you

                        > might have, I'll answer them the best I can.

                        > Andrea

                        === message truncated ===

                        Tammy Brown!!!

                        http://new.mail yahoo.com