Re: [CEREBRAL PALSY CLUB] im a new girl....lol

  • gabri martinez
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 30, 2006
      dear tammy,

      i know it can be really hard. i have a younger sister and she is very
      protective of me because of my handicap. it can be very hard on the rest of
      the family but have faith things get better i promise. i also know what its
      like to be made fun of. i had braces until i was 14 and i had a walker until
      i was 7. i got made fun of quite a bit and it was very hard. mentally i am
      smarter than even the "normal" kids but because of my limp people assumed
      there was something wrong with my mind. it will take your child a while to
      feel comfortable with himself because the more confident he is in himself
      the more other kids can see that. teach him to make fun of himself. i know
      that sounds a little cruel but the sooner he learns he is stuck with it and
      just make it into something he can laugh about the easier it is to take the
      nasty remarks of others. he can go on to do great things. it just takes a
      while to start thinking that way. it will always be hard from time to time
      especialy when he starts to try things to see if he can do them. but there
      are many more options now. as far as the botox injections i am looking into
      them but i dont see any LONG TERM benifits. I had a achilles tendon
      lengthening surgery a few years back and it helped. that may be an option
      for you. if you have anymore questions feel free to ask. ill be here for you
      and your son.

      gabri

      Microsoft Office Live
    • Andrea Gaston
      Message 2 of 17 , Dec 1, 2006
        I have not easy answer for you about the botox. It has never been offered to me and it is really helping my niece but like the other gril said sometimes you have to weigh the options of the side effects. It would be fine with me if you started sending me direct e-mails instead of through here then I could be a little more personal. I also wanted to said that the other girl who wrote you made a good point about helping your son learn to make fun of his self, as stupid as it sound once people realize that he can laugh at him self the teasing get less and less b/c it doesn't effect him anymore. If I couldn't make fun of myself for tripping or falling down I really think that I would live a miserable life. Well I will wirte more later and feel free to ask any other questions that you might have, I'll answer them the best I can.

        Andrea

        Message 3 of 17 , Dec 1, 2006
          See he dont laugh at himself at all when he falls and
          kids make a big deal out of it and they dont all make
          fun of him even if some just try to help him he gets
          very angry he yells throws things and wants to hit all
          the time i dont know how to change his anger i feel so
          bad when i see him gettin that mad. If you dont mind
          me asking what form of cp do you have? and what is the
          exstent of yours i know your older and stuff just
          sounds like you have been through the same things so i
          was just askin thats all i know your e mail says
          married so have you been married and do you have
          children? did it have any draw backs for you with
          havin a family my son will all the time tell me his
          legs are stupid and lazy and i tell him all the time
          no thats not true there just really weak and can't
          help it but he is sooo mad i dont know where he got
          that from i dont know if kids said it or he's just so
          mad taht he came out with it well i dont want to bore
          you with to many q's at a time so i will talk later

          i tryed to e mail to you but it says there is an error
          and wont let me will yo utry to e mail me back in mine
          this time tam_23_2000@...
          wrote:

          > I have not easy answer for you about the botox. It
          > has never been offered to me and it is really
          > helping my niece but like the other gril said
          > sometimes you have to weigh the options of the side
          > effects. It would be fine with me if you started
          > sending me direct e-mails instead of through here
          > then I could be a little more personal. I also
          > wanted to said that the other girl who wrote you
          > made a good point about helping your son learn to
          > make fun of his self, as stupid as it sound once
          > people realize that he can laugh at him self the
          > teasing get less and less b/c it doesn't effect him
          > anymore. If I couldn't make fun of myself for
          > tripping or falling down I really think that I would
          > live a miserable life. Well I will wirte more later
          > and feel free to ask any other questions that you
          > might have, I'll answer them the best I can.
          >
          > Andrea

          === message truncated ===

          Tammy Brown!!!

          Cheap talk?
          http://voice.yahoo.com
        • Andrea Gaston
          Message 4 of 17 , Dec 1, 2006
            Tammy,
            I don't know what the medical term that they associate with my type of cp but the only thing that is really affected with me is my legs. I still have afos that I'm suppost to wear. I have never had to rely on a walker or chruches but I have known people who did I and I can honestly say that if he is determended to walk without them he will in time. Some times I have trouble with my hands too but mostly my feet.I can understand the anger too though even toward the people who are trying to help him. When you have cp you fight so hard to do things on your own that when you do fall and people start flocking over to help it makes you mad because I can almost bet you that he is think "I fell down and I can get up without all these people flocking to me. They don't do this when other kids fall" As for him not being able to "make fun" of his self that may come with time, it sound to me like right now your son is trying so hard to be independent that anger is his main emotion. As
            for me yes it sounds like I have been through alot of the same things that he is going thru. I am 20 years old and have been married a little over a year. We don't have any children yet and as for draw back as a person with cp the only thing I have found so far is that no one can tell me if my body is going to be able to handle having a baby other wise all it takes to have a family is the willingness to find another way to complish things if you can't do it the way everyone else would. As for him telling you that his legs are stupid and lazy...... when you said that I laughed because I have said that about my own feet. I would think that is just something he says when he is angry. I know when I say something like that it's because I have tried to do something and haven't been able to complish it and I'm angry. It's just one of those things where you don't know what else to say and you are so frusterated that you have to say something. Well I hope that this helps you some
            and I'm glad to have found someone on this chat that was really here for support and advice not dating and the stock market. I hope some of what I am saying is helping you understand a little better what may be running through your son's mind. It wouldn't let me send you an e-mail through yahoo either sorry

            wrote:

            > No botox injections were not offered when I was a
            > kid however my niece also has cp and they give her
            > botox injections and they really help her. My
            > understanding is that botox injections replace a
            > very painful surgery.

            Tammy Brown!!!

            Cheap talk?
            http://voice. yahoo.com

          • TAMMY B
            Message 5 of 17 , Dec 1, 2006
              thats wierd wonder why it wont let us do that just
              seemsl ike it would be quicker i guess i dont know
              anyways yea def anger issues we were told he had
              spastic diapoligia its a form of cp but only effects
              his legs but he is a trooper i gotta say s oas you got
              older then you think it got easier for you to deal
              with he is on a swim team for special olypics he loves
              it so thats a plus for him did you ever get into any
              sports?
              and do you drive a car and stuff or is it gonna be
              hard when he tryes to get his licence how does that
              work?

              wrote:

              > Tammy,
              > I don't know what the medical term that they
              > associate with my type of cp but the only thing that
              > is really affected with me is my legs. I still have
              > afos that I'm suppost to wear. I have never had to
              > rely on a walker or chruches but I have known people
              > who did I and I can honestly say that if he is
              > determended to walk without them he will in time.
              > Some times I have trouble with my hands too but
              > mostly my feet.I can understand the anger too though
              > even toward the people who are trying to help him.
              > When you have cp you fight so hard to do things on
              > your own that when you do fall and people start
              > flocking over to help it makes you mad because I can
              > almost bet you that he is think "I fell down and I
              > can get up without all these people flocking to me.
              > They don't do this when other kids fall" As for him
              > not being able to "make fun" of his self that may
              > come with time, it sound to me like right now your
              > son is trying so hard to be independent that anger
              > is his main emotion. As
              > for me yes it sounds like I have been through alot
              > of the same things that he is going thru. I am 20
              > years old and have been married a little over a
              > year. We don't have any children yet and as for draw
              > back as a person with cp the only thing I have found
              > so far is that no one can tell me if my body is
              > going to be able to handle having a baby other wise
              > all it takes to have a family is the willingness to
              > find another way to complish things if you can't do
              > it the way everyone else would. As for him telling
              > you that his legs are stupid and lazy...... when you
              > said that I laughed because I have said that about
              > my own feet. I would think that is just something he
              > says when he is angry. I know when I say something
              > like that it's because I have tried to do something
              > and haven't been able to complish it and I'm angry.
              > It's just one of those things where you don't know
              > what else to say and you are so frusterated that you
              > have to say something. Well I hope that this helps
              > you some
              > and I'm glad to have found someone on this chat
              > that was really here for support and advice not
              > dating and the stock market. I hope some of what I
              > am saying is helping you understand a little better
              > what may be running through your son's mind. It
              > wouldn't let me send you an e-mail through yahoo
              > either sorry

              === message truncated ===

              Tammy Brown!!!

              Want to start your own business?
              Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
              http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index
            • sivaya9
              Message 6 of 17 , Dec 2, 2006
                in answer to the question of driving - i have spastic cp and am 50
                years old - i have been driving with hand controls and a knob on tthe
                steering wheel since age 17 - information about hand controls can be
                found at any Independent Living Center or Rehabilitation Center - they
                are pricey but I have had mine for over 30 years and not replaced them
                once. Driving is no problem...

                Message 7 of 17 , Dec 2, 2006
                  I agree 100 percent about what has been said about kids teasing - it
                  will get better with time - about the walker - i would not be in too
                  big of a hurry to get to crutches - they are easier to handle but they
                  put more weight on the ankles which is something that could develop
                  arthritus in the ankles and knees later...this is what happened for
                  me...everything in the world of rehab is a trade off in my experience
                  - and since cp affects each person slightly differently there is no
                  better decision in many cases - we just have to do the best we know
                  how at the time...i know this is not an easy answer but i hopw it
                  takes some of the pressure off of you...
                  --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Gaston
                  <proudarmywife08_20_05@...> wrote:

                  > Tammy,
                  > I don't know what the medical term that they associate with my type
                  of cp but the only thing that is really affected with me is my legs. I
                  still have afos that I'm suppost to wear. I have never had to rely on
                  a walker or chruches but I have known people who did I and I can
                  honestly say that if he is determended to walk without them he will in
                  time. Some times I have trouble with my hands too but mostly my feet.I
                  can understand the anger too though even toward the people who are
                  trying to help him. When you have cp you fight so hard to do things on
                  your own that when you do fall and people start flocking over to help
                  it makes you mad because I can almost bet you that he is think "I fell
                  down and I can get up without all these people flocking to me. They
                  don't do this when other kids fall" As for him not being able to "make
                  fun" of his self that may come with time, it sound to me like right
                  now your son is trying so hard to be independent that anger is his
                  main emotion. As
                  > for me yes it sounds like I have been through alot of the same
                  things that he is going thru. I am 20 years old and have been married
                  a little over a year. We don't have any children yet and as for draw
                  back as a person with cp the only thing I have found so far is that no
                  one can tell me if my body is going to be able to handle having a baby
                  other wise all it takes to have a family is the willingness to find
                  another way to complish things if you can't do it the way everyone
                  else would. As for him telling you that his legs are stupid and
                  lazy...... when you said that I laughed because I have said that about
                  my own feet. I would think that is just something he says when he is
                  angry. I know when I say something like that it's because I have tried
                  to do something and haven't been able to complish it and I'm angry.
                  It's just one of those things where you don't know what else to say
                  and you are so frusterated that you have to say something. Well I hope
                  that this helps you some
                  > and I'm glad to have found someone on this chat that was really
                  here for support and advice not dating and the stock market. I hope
                  some of what I am saying is helping you understand a little better
                  what may be running through your son's mind. It wouldn't let me send
                  you an e-mail through yahoo either sorry

                • staci
                  Message 8 of 17 , Dec 4, 2006
                    Hi everyone. I haven't been on in a while but my son goes this wednesday to the Scottish Rite hospital to look into botox. I well let you guys know all I found out. I never really had doubts about doing it but then again I never heard of it causing setbacks.

                    Staci Mom to Hunter 3CP and Zoe 2 baby due 3-28-07

                    wrote:

                    > No botox injections were not offered when I was a
                    > kid however my niece also has cp and they give her
                    > botox injections and they really help her. My
                    > understanding is that botox injections replace a
                    > very painful surgery.

                    Tammy Brown!!!

                    Cheap talk?
                    http://voice. yahoo.com

                  • staci
                    Message 9 of 17 , Dec 4, 2006
                      Hey guys just want to say how happy I am that theres is somone on here with CP that can give us all this great advise. I feel much better about things when I here people with that experience. I have a cousin with Cp and she has been awesome to me in helping me through this. Shes also recently married and just had a baby. So that gives me so much hope that Hunter can do anything.

                      I have noticed how right it is to make jokes about yourself when you have Cp and that seems to be a good way to get through it. My cousin told me her and her brother that was a year younger than her use to tell everyone they were twins because she was held back a year from her sugeries. They also use to joke and say she was in a car accident when people asked her about her CP.

                      Staci Mom to Hunter 3 CP and Zoe 2 and baby on the way 3-28-06

                      Message 10 of 17 , Dec 4, 2006
                        my son is almost 6 he been getting the botox for about
                        2 years or so and it does make a huge difference my
                        only doubts are like sometimes when they do it after a
                        week of it setting into his body his legs get so weak
                        he has had to crawl to the bathroom he can't walk at
                        all sometimes he goes to boston childrens hosp. then
                        he will go in and get casted up for about 4 weeks teh
                        they take them off and he is so weak it takes about 2
                        months to get hte strenght back so he can walk fairly
                        good for about 2-3 months then it starts wearing off
                        and we have to do it again so i wnder if its worth
                        what he goes through sometimes i think yea but when he
                        crys because he can't walk on his legs its hard but
                        everyone is different hopefully it will work out good
                        for you

                        === message truncated ===

                        Tammy Brown!!!

                        http://new.mail.yahoo.com
                      • Sambhavi
                        Message 11 of 17 , Dec 4, 2006
                          i had casting as a young child and i understand what you are talking about with that - do you know what the doctors are thinking the benifit is for your son? This was not clear to me from your writing. I say again that each proceedure is a trade off - gives some benifit and some problem at the same time - hopefully the benifit is bigger than the problem
                          Love and Prayers

                          Sambhavi

                          --- staci <flygirl_82us@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                          > Hi everyone. I haven't been on in a while but my son

                          > goes this wednesday to the Scottish Rite hospital to

                          > look into botox. I well let you guys know all I

                          > found out. I never really had doubts about doing it

                          > but then again I never heard of it causing setbacks.

                          > Staci Mom to Hunter 3CP and Zoe 2 baby due 3-28-07

                          > Andrea Gaston <proudarmywife08_ 20_05@yahoo. com>

                          > wrote:

                          > I have not easy answer for you about the

                          > botox. It has never been offered to me and it is

                          > really helping my niece but like the other gril said

                          > sometimes you have to weigh the options of the side

                          > effects. It would be fine with me if you started

                          > sending me direct e-mails instead of through here

                          > then I could be a little more personal. I also

                          > wanted to said that the other girl who wrote you

                          > made a good point about helping your son learn to

                          > make fun of his self, as stupid as it sound once

                          > people realize that he can laugh at him self the

                          > teasing get less and less b/c it doesn't effect him

                          > anymore. If I couldn't make fun of myself for

                          > tripping or falling down I really think that I would

                          > live a miserable life. Well I will wirte more later

                          > and feel free to ask any other questions that you

                          > might have, I'll answer them the best I can.

                          > Andrea

                          === message truncated ===

                          Tammy Brown!!!

                          http://new.mail yahoo.com