Re: [CEREBRAL PALSY CLUB] rib flaring with cp

  • Gabriela McCann
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 6, 2006
      Hi Elizabeth,
      We noticed the spinal curve when Briar was about a year old. He's been wearing a brace ever since (not all the time, although that's what the dr wants, but it's hard for me to put that thing on all day!) I feel bad for my baby but I know it's for his own good. I don't notice the rib flaring as much anymore since he's been wearing the brace so that's good. My son too has spastic quad CP along with Epilepsy and other medical problems, but like your child, he's a blessing and a beautiful baby.

      Have you had an X-Ray done? I'm sure the Ortho sent you, but just in case he didn't that would be the best way to find out about the Scoliosis. God Bless and good luck!!

      Gabby (son Briar, 2.5 yrs)

      elizabeth hockenberry <elizamom@...> wrote:
      Hi Gabby
      When did you know your son had scoliosis? My sons OT asked me to mention it to the orthopedist because she was a little concerned, but the dr didn't see a curve. Thanks for the reply.
      Elizabeth

      and to Mary too, thank you, but i think maybe I worded it a little confusing. My son doesn't prefer one side. I was just concerned about his ribs. I will keep your input in mind too though for future use.

      Gabriela McCann <briarmc2004@...> wrote:
      My son has scoliosis so he usually leans to one side more than the other and that has caused a bit of rib flaring. Perhaps, your child has scoliosis and needs a brace. I would suggest you talk to an Orthopedic doctor. Maybe that will help a little. My son's brace helps his posturing but he still has a lot of trouble keeping his head up. Hopefully, this helps.

      Gabby (Briar, 2.5 yrs old)

      Elizabeth <elizamom@...> wrote:
      Hi-

      I'm wondering if anyone has experienced rib flaring with their child
      and what you have done to help it. My 3yr old son has spastic quad cp
      and his PT says because of the low tone in trunk, and the muscles he
      uses for respitory, he has the rib flaring. We tried an abdominal
      binder, but it didn't work too well. It would slip down below his rib
      cage, doing more worse than good. It's really getting more noticable
      to me and any suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks

      Elizabeth