Elizabeth -flaring ribs of cp children

  • ALMA
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 5, 2006
      Elizabeth,

      My dtr Alana is not yet walking. She is working on weight bearings on
      her hands and feet. She just got AFOs on her feet in June and has a
      stander. She can tolerate standing in her stander for 15-20 minutes
      right now. Alana still needs assistance sitting, rolling over, and
      has not yet crawled. She has troubled segmenting her legs. Though
      she has great full range of motion of her body.

      Going back to the topic of ribs flaring in our CP spastic quad angels,
      at least this may be a theory for me to explain her left rib that is
      protruding at the bottom. I wonder if it is very common in our
      children. Shall I add this to my monitor/worry list as it may
      progress to scoliosis, etc. I know that she has a hint of kyphosis in
      her last chest/upper spine xray. But, note that it could have been
      her posturing/uncooperativeness during the xray because it never was a
      finding in her past xrays. Plus she has a flat neck per a recent xray
      when we experimented with chirpractic treatment to help with her weak
      head control and lower trunk. We had a month of adjustments and we
      saw no real improvement.

      Thanks again and keep us updated on your son as he is in our positive
      thoughts.

      Truly,
      Alma

      --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, elizabeth hockenberry
      <elizamom@...> wrote:

      > Hi Alma-
      > My son was a preemie at 31wks and also a twin. He is 29lbs at 3yrs
      old. What your dtr has sounds a little similar. My sons ribs flar on
      both sides, just the bottom of the ribs flare outwards. I suppose if
      he had more meat on his bones, it wouldn't be as noticable.Lol. Thank
      you for your response and i'll let you know if i get any more info.
      > Elizabeth
      > oh and is your dtr walking?
      >
      > ALMA <liliocat@...> wrote:
      > Elizabeth, your son's case sounds like my dtr's. First, I
      want to
      > make sure I am talking about what you are describing. My dtr is also
      > a spastic quad and I have always noticed that her left side of her
      > ribs are protruding than the other side. No one has really given me a
      > sure explanation of what is going on. Her past PTs or OTs never
      > really showed concern, nor has her current ones. One doctor, her
      > neurologist that followed her from the NICU said that everybody has
      > their own body asymetries where one side is bigger than the other.
      >
      > I am wishfully thinking and observing that it looks less protruding as
      > time goes by. Maybe this is due to her moving alot more and
      > exercising more. She is a skinny little girl and at times it can be
      > obvious. Alana has been labeled FTT and has just made 19+ pounds at
      > 28 months old. Note that she was a 27 wkr preemie.
      >
      > Was your son a preemie, too?
      >
      > Please share if there are any additional information that your medical
      > team may provide you, or if there are treatments or therapies for it.
      >
      > Thank you and best wishes.
      >
      > Truly,
      > Alma

    • Gabriela McCann
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 6, 2006
        Hi Elizabeth,
        We noticed the spinal curve when Briar was about a year old. He's been wearing a brace ever since (not all the time, although that's what the dr wants, but it's hard for me to put that thing on all day!) I feel bad for my baby but I know it's for his own good. I don't notice the rib flaring as much anymore since he's been wearing the brace so that's good. My son too has spastic quad CP along with Epilepsy and other medical problems, but like your child, he's a blessing and a beautiful baby.

        Have you had an X-Ray done? I'm sure the Ortho sent you, but just in case he didn't that would be the best way to find out about the Scoliosis. God Bless and good luck!!

        Gabby (son Briar, 2.5 yrs)

        elizabeth hockenberry <elizamom@...> wrote:
        Hi Gabby
        When did you know your son had scoliosis? My sons OT asked me to mention it to the orthopedist because she was a little concerned, but the dr didn't see a curve. Thanks for the reply.
        Elizabeth

        and to Mary too, thank you, but i think maybe I worded it a little confusing. My son doesn't prefer one side. I was just concerned about his ribs. I will keep your input in mind too though for future use.

        Gabriela McCann <briarmc2004@...> wrote:
        My son has scoliosis so he usually leans to one side more than the other and that has caused a bit of rib flaring. Perhaps, your child has scoliosis and needs a brace. I would suggest you talk to an Orthopedic doctor. Maybe that will help a little. My son's brace helps his posturing but he still has a lot of trouble keeping his head up. Hopefully, this helps.

        Gabby (Briar, 2.5 yrs old)

        Elizabeth <elizamom@...> wrote:
        Hi-

        I'm wondering if anyone has experienced rib flaring with their child
        and what you have done to help it. My 3yr old son has spastic quad cp
        and his PT says because of the low tone in trunk, and the muscles he
        uses for respitory, he has the rib flaring. We tried an abdominal
        binder, but it didn't work too well. It would slip down below his rib
        cage, doing more worse than good. It's really getting more noticable
        to me and any suggestions would be wonderful. Thanks

        Elizabeth