Re: [CEREBRAL PALSY CLUB] Re: g-tubes

    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2005
      I am so amazed at the number of children who receive g-tubes and parents are told not to feed them by mouth. One of the young men I take care of (23 yrs old) aspirates, the only time he gets anything by mouth is when he's with me, he needs a trach, the doctors and I are trying to work with his mom. My son. Jason, gets the good stuff by mouth; Feb.6th his g-tube "will be 21 yrs old". !0 yrs ago, I took care of a young man named "Famous", he lost the urge to eat within about 2 wks of his surgery, eating was not a comfortable thing for him and he was glad to be done with it.

      Debra M-Mc

      mpowals@... wrote:
      Time passed.... and I guess he started to forgot the sensations of eating. It
      was very hard, he would cry uncolsolably and of course I felt incredibly
      guilty. I was pushed into having the surgery by his nurse at school who insisted
      he have it or could not come to school because he took a long time for them to
      feed him and he often had reflux. Also he was going to be going to an
      elementary school the next year and they would not feed him by bottle, atleast that's
      what the nurse at the earter seals pre school told me. I would try to give
      him other outlets for oral motor involvement like sucking on popsicles and
      lollipops. My son also enjoyed a pacifier sometimes but he would get angry when he
      realized he wasn't getting any flavor.

      Cerebral palsy lawyer Cerebral palsy attorney Cerebral palsy Family intervention Family rafting trip Family vacations

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
        well, zack's doctors also did a nissen fundoplication at the same time as the
        G tube because of his severe reflux, they were afraid he would vomit after G
        tube feedings also.