Re: [CEREBRAL PALSY CLUB] Discrimination!

  • danaliz
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005
      Okay first of all that is totally awful for you to have to go
      through that. As a mother of a 9 year old with CP I have learned
      that I have to advocate for him to do things such as playing in the
      playgroud. Pardon my language here, but basically I have learned to
      become a bitch when it comes to things such as this. Second of all
      you don't have to put up with it. Use the American's with
      Disabilities Act, most places when you bring it up back down really
      quickly and allow you to continue. Don't be afraid to fight for you
      child to be able to play on things children should be allowed to
      play on. And if you have be very assertive!! Good luck!!!

      Dana

      --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, <becklinn77@c...> wrote:
      > Your message brought to mind a question - I'd love to hear your
      take on it.

      > BTW - I'm the girlfriend of the father of an 18 year old girl with
      severe cp.

      > When we are out with her - often there are children or even adults
      that stare at us. To me it seems like normal curiosity. I mean,
      the adults and older kids should have better manners, but I don't
      take it at all as them intentionally being rude or mean. But it
      frustrates my boyfriend - even when it's a rather young child who
      just doesn't know better. He's too polite to ever say anything to
      anyone, but he will make a comment to me about it, and I often feel
      like defending them.

      > Is this like a parental "protective" response that I just need to
      learn to understand more? Is there something truly offensive about
      it that I'm missing? Let me know what you think.