Re: [CEREBRAL PALSY CLUB] Toilet Seat

  • Lynn Schulte
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2005
      That is an awesome idea! I think we may have to try it.

      Lynn

      momslove1990 <momslove1990@...> wrote:
      How about trying to super glue something like part of a plastic milk
      jug to the under side of the toilet seat. If you cut the top of the
      jug down to just 3 inches or so and then cut out the bottom leaving
      an inch and then putting the glue on what is left of the bottom and
      glueing it to the seat. That would leave the 3 inch plastic sheild
      hanging down to stop the urine and send it to the toilet bowl. It
      would also be easy to clean. I hope you could follow what I'm
      saying. Good Luck.

      Angela

      --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, Mandy <wheelie_ok@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Everyone
      >
      > What about a urinal??? It is less of a mess and easier to use I
      would think. Hope that suggestion helps....

      > Mandy
      >
      > Lanan Box <tackynag@s...> wrote:
      > My son is 18 and this is the way that he has always gone to the
      bathroom, he actually has
      > to pry his legs apart with one hand and use the other top to push
      himself down toward the toilet, it isn't always successful but its
      about the only way. He actually is having a adductor
      > release and two other muscles in the upper leg which should help
      him alot with this. Also
      > spasticity sometimes causes the urinary muscles to be tight and
      you have to w ait for them to
      > relax. good luck.
      >
      > staci woods wrote:
      > I'm having the same problem with potty training my son. He can
      stand but its to hard to cordinate the holding and pointing and
      peeing. So I try sitting him down. In this situation his legs don't
      relax enough for his parts to point down. A few times I tried
      pushing it down for him but it makes me feel like I'm just doing
      everything and that isn't teaching him a way he can do it on his
      own. He is only 2 and a half so I'm not rushing him. I just let him
      try every now and then. And that sheld thing is just in the way and
      uncomfortable.
      > Staci
      >
      > Mary Fox wrote:
      > Have you had him checked out by a pediatrician? I'm sure the CP
      could
      > be causing this, but it's also possible that he has a
      physiological
      > issue unrelated to CP. I know of boys who have "faulty wiring" and
      with
      > the exact same results (the "wiring" is correctable with a little
      > surgery...)
      >
      > -Mary
      >
      > Lynn Schulte wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a quesiton for anyone who has problems with the toilet.
      We are
      > > having
      > >
      > > > problems with Ryan
      > >
      > > > urinating between the toilet seat and the toilet bowl.
      > >
      > > > If it doesn't
      > >
      > > > squirt out and hit me, it ends up rolling
      > >
      > > > down the toilet onto
      > >
      > > > the floor like a waterfall. My bathroom is so
      > >
      > > > disgusting. Now I wrap a
      > >
      > > > towel around the bottom of the toilet to catch the
      > >
      > > > "yellow stream."
      > >
      > > > Every once in a while we get a lucky and we hit the
      > >
      > > > water. He has to
      > >
      > > > sit down. We've tried standing him up but he can't
      > >
      > > > relax. He sits on one of those soft seats with handles (which
      he has
      > > to hold on to). A splash guard does not work because it's up too
      high
      > > and falls in the toilet anyway. I have to
      > >
      > > > hold his penis down and it just doesn't always fire
      > >
      > > > where you think it
      > >
      > > > should -- HA! Now I know why men always pee all
      > >
      > > > over. You can't
      > >
      > > > control where it is going to shoot! A lot of people have
      suggested
      > > turning him around backwards, but his legs are too tight and it
      would be
      > > uncomfortable for him.
      > >

      > > > I have something in mind which is a normal toilet
      > >
      > > > seat with some kind of
      > >
      > > > a rim on the underside so the urine won't squirt out
      > >
      > > > between the seat and
      > >
      > > > rim. Sounds so simple to me. Has anyone seen one of those? Any
      > > suggestions?
      > >

      > > Lynn

      > > Service .

      -------

      > Cerebral palsy lawyer Cerebral palsy attorney Cerebral palsy
      Family intervention Family rafting trip Family vacations

      Service.