constipation due to CP/what to do?

  • specialseth2002
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1 6:36 PM
      My six year old son has severe constipation and it gets worse as he
      gets older. We;ve had the lower and upper GI and a bariun enema.
      Dr's say results are normal. Does anyone know of any true blue old
      remedies that will work. We are to the point of giving him
      suppositories or an enema every night. Please give suggestions!
      Also, weve tried mineral oil, merilax, senekot,and most everything
      else like that. Thanks for any help!
    • cindy_woodland
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6 6:39 AM
        --- In cerebralpalsyclub@y..., "specialseth2002"
        <specialseth2002@y...> wrote:
        > My six year old son has severe constipation and it gets worse as he
        > gets older. We;ve had the lower and upper GI and a bariun enema.
        > Dr's say results are normal. Does anyone know of any true blue old
        > remedies that will work. We are to the point of giving him
        > suppositories or an enema every night. Please give suggestions!
        > Also, weve tried mineral oil, merilax, senekot,and most everything
        > else like that. Thanks for any help!
        I had the same problem and our doctor told us to go to a health food
        store and buy pure licorice extract in liquid form and give a
        tablespoon of that each day. Well I thought she was nuts but it works
        and has been working for a couple of years. hope that helps. cindy.
      • autumn_leaf26
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 20 10:39 AM
          Hi I also have a six year old little boy who is severly constipated
          and has been all of his life and yes it does get worse as he gets
          older. We dont use suppositories anymore simply because they dont
          clean out his upper bowel. Enemas work pretty good for a quick fix,
          but again dont get the upper bowel. We like you have tried various
          medications with no luck. We finally tried the MiraLax agian but with
          a higher dosage. My son gets 1 1/2 tablespoons with 4 oz of liquid or
          in his pediasure right at bed time. He took about 1 week for it to
          start working but it works great now. If you have any question just
          email me. Thanks Cara

          <specialseth2002@y...> wrote:
          > My six year old son has severe constipation and it gets worse as he
          > gets older. We;ve had the lower and upper GI and a bariun enema.
          > Dr's say results are normal. Does anyone know of any true blue old
          > remedies that will work. We are to the point of giving him
          > suppositories or an enema every night. Please give suggestions!
          > Also, weve tried mineral oil, merilax, senekot,and most everything
          > else like that. Thanks for any help!
        • medic_mom_911
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 24 9:42 PM
            --- In cerebralpalsyclub@y..., "autumn_leaf26" <everage3@y...> wrote:
            > Hi I also have a six year old little boy who is severly constipated
            > and has been all of his life and yes it does get worse as he gets
            > older. We dont use suppositories anymore simply because they dont
            > clean out his upper bowel. Enemas work pretty good for a quick fix,
            > but again dont get the upper bowel. We like you have tried various
            > medications with no luck. We finally tried the MiraLax agian but
            with
            > a higher dosage. My son gets 1 1/2 tablespoons with 4 oz of liquid
            or
            > in his pediasure right at bed time. He took about 1 week for it to
            > start working but it works great now. If you have any question just
            > email me. Thanks Cara
            >

            > Cara,

            Hi, my name is Tracey and my son Daniel has CP and he too has
            constipation. I give him 2 teaspoons of mineral oil everynight with
            his last meal. The doctor told us to use this because, he didn't like
            using chemical laxatives. He said to wait an hour after his meal
            before giving it to him but, it kind of hard give a kid just plain
            oil. So,we mix it with his food and he does really well with it. I
            hope this helps you. Love and Light, Tracey and Daniel (17
            months..Preemie, CP, microcephaly, reflux, and sleep apnea