Re: [CEREBRAL PALSY CLUB] SSI

  • staci woods
    Message 1 of 50 , Jul 31, 2005
      Debra,
      It seems there is something wronge with the sytem of getting SSI. I applied for my sons when he was about 18 month old and he got it no problem. And I would describe his CP as mild. I can't believe people are having to get divorces to be able to recieve assitence for their kids. I wish this wouldn't have to be an issue for people.
      Staci

      Debra Marasco-McNulty <debraphp@...> wrote:
      When I applied for my son, his was 12, what a mess. First two rejections came back 1. because I filled it out for him (if he could fill it out, there wouldn't be a need to apply) 2. He didn't sign the forms (he is quadraplegic and does not have use of his hand or feet to sign AND HE IS A MINOR)

      I had to go to a non-profit legal assisance group for the elderly and disabled; yep the paperwork confused them also; they helped me with the red tape and gave me advice. That was, don't get married, that would disqualify us from most of the help for Jason. It's a shame, but I know of families who have done the paperwork and filing for legal seperations and divorce just to get assistance; i.e. transplants and surgeries.

      The April issue of Exceptional Parent magazine had an article titled: SSI Rules Simplification Provides Helpful Changes, written by Nancy P.Gibson. At the end of the article, her title was given as an elder law and disability law attorney in Missoula, Montana and a member of the Special Needs Alliance, website: www.speciaalneedsalliance.com ph# 1-877-572-8472

      website for Social Security Administration is: www.ssa.gov

      Debra M-Mc

      Children with special needs Special needs children Child cerebral palsy Cerebral palsy Special needs Family

      Message 50 of 50 , Aug 18, 2005
        You know I have a fund at church too for Michael for medical expenses and I
        just have never said anything a bout it that has 4000. In it from the
        fundraiser. Call me some time 321-768-2449 or 321-508-2480 Renee