Re: [CEREBRAL PALSY CLUB] feeling sad

  • Joanna Adams
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
      Hi Jenna,
      My Rachel is 6 now but reading your post brought me back to those days too. My sister and I were pregnant at the same time. My niece was born 3 weeks after Rachel. I remember feeling very angry that she got to bring a healthy baby home and I had my little one in the NICU. Rachel's normal physical development stopped at holding her head up. After that things were happening so quickly for my niece I got very sad. I couldn't help but compare. The gap just kept getting bigger and bigger and eventually I started looking at Rachel as an individual. When Rachel was 2 I had my second baby. When she started walking it hurt all over again. I couldn't understand why my 12 month old was walking but not my 3 year old. All I can say at this point is that I finally accepted Rachel for who she was. I realized that she is perfect. Her accomplishments no matter how delayed give me a thrill I never experienced before. She is 6 now and I'm expecting my 4th. Rachel still has a hard time everyday and it
      does get frustrating for everyone involved but this is our life and it will be forever. She stood unassisted this week for the first time and walked with the therapist only holding her ankles. We were both so proud. Rachel was thrilled with herself and I was ecstatic. Jasper is still young......soon enough these feelings will go away. They do come back periodically but you get through them quicker each time. Best of Luck to you and your son and your new baby.

      Joanna SAHM to Rachel 24 weeker (CP&FTT), Alexis 4, Emily 2, and Surprise #4 due in December

      Jenna Gonzales <sirisadhana@...> wrote:
      I know it is normal to compare your child with other children and
      that there are special things about each child that make them unique,
      and I wouldn't want to change my baby because I love him. But
      sometimes when I see pictures of the babies who were born to my
      friends around the same time as Jasper or I interact with other
      babies around the same age as him, I get sad because I realize just
      how delayed his physical motor development is. I see other 10 mo. old
      babies sitting up, crawling, beginning to walk, picking up things
      with their hands, and looking at everything, and it hits home just
      how many of those things my baby can't do.
      I suppose other moms have gone through these feelings at different
      times of development. I don't want to be sad, and I do appreciate the
      good things that he can do ( like smiling, cooing, and now kissing!)
      but I can't help but to be hit by it when I see other babies his age.
      It's better when I am just with him because then he is just perfect
      and I don't really think about it, but when we go to his OT or PT,
      doctor appts. or hang out with other mommies, I sometimes get sad.
      I guess this is just something that comes with the territory huh?
      Does anyone else have these feelings? I don't want to avoid other
      families and I love all babies and kids, plus I'm having another one
      in about 4 months so I suppose I had better get used to it, but I
      just wonder if I will get used to it or if I will always get these
      waves of sadness for what might have been. I love Jasper so much, I
      wish I could share his light and love with all of you. Thanks for
      your support.
      Jenna

      Children with special needs Special needs children Child cerebral palsy Cerebral palsy Special needs Family

    • gina moresco
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2005
        My son is 15 and has spastic cp, he did walk on his own until he was 2 1/2, he wore braces for a while did p/t, he still walks differently than everyone else bent kneed and with a slight gait. He had surgery about a year ago to release his hip flexers and hamstring as he was getting much bigger and heavyer and tring easliy. I did help, he can stand almost strait up now. But, still walks differently than everyone. He fell alot growing up, I think i cried more then he did. He didn't crawl like the rest of the babies, walk like the rest of the babies, he can't ride a "normal" bike because of his balance and his legs and much more. I still hurt inside, but not as much as I did when he was younger. He can do almost anything he wants to do, he just does it differently then most. He has played sports, he bowls, he has climbed a mountain twice, he is a straight A student and might I say a very goodlooking young man. I do wish at times that he didn't have cp, but most times I don't
        even see the cp, I just see a typcial teenage boy who "most' of the time has a big smile on his face....
        staci woods <flygirl_82us@...> wrote:HI Jenna,
        I know exactly how you feel. In fact I'm not much different than you. I have a boy with Spastic CP and a daughter typical child. They are 15 months apart. Right now they are 2 and a half and 14 months. I went through a period of time after his diagnosees and when she was about a month old where I was just in this deep sadness. I wanted my son to get to do the same things other kids do and not get made fun of. I was sad bc I thought he would be n special education and not get a normal life.
        You will change. It might take you a while but soon you will just appreciate him the way he is and think of him as a miracle. If you want I'm here to answere any questions.
        Try not to think of his developement to other typically developeing kids. He will surprise you with what he can do in his own time. You wouldn't believe how far my son has come if you only saw him when he was a year old. He could hardly sit up said mama dada, barely starting to low crawl.
        My son is doing awesome now. He talks up a storm and he walks with braces and without. He is a funny little boy.
        I'll send you pics.
        Write back if you want!
        Staci