Flying

  • Em
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 7, 2005
      Hi everyone,
      I've been watching a show on TV and there is a dad with a young son
      who has CP and wanted to hold him during the flight but is not allowed
      to for take off and landing - he has to be in a car seat or on the
      seat.
      It's made me curious about flying with a child who requires more
      support than a standard seat and belt. Just wondering if anyone here
      has flown with their child and hold they found it. Were the airrlines
      helpful? how did seating work? Feeds if required, etd.
      Thanks
      --
      Emily
      Sister/carer to Trinity (13) with congenital cytomegalovirus, severe
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 7, 2005
        I am not a parent, but rather an individual with CP.
        No one is allowed to hold an individual over 2 years
        of age on a plane. It is not safe/liability for the
        airline. If your child has issues with head/trunk
        control, it can be even more of an issue. Adapted car
        seats are allowed on flights, but you may want to ask
        the airline the width of their seats. (not all
        carseats will fit in every airline seat). If tube
        feeds are necessary on board, get a doctor's note
        saying that they are necessary and a parent/caregiver
        can administer them. (Every airline has a form about
        this and medication administyration that a physician
        cann fill out).

        Flight attendants are gentrally helpful with getting
        people onboard. Go for preboarding with anyone who has
        a disability. It will give more time to get on and off
        the plane. Gait check any wheechair, adapted stroller,
        etc, so it can be ready for you when you get off of
        the plane.

        Ask for help if you need it. That is what the flight
        attendant call button is for.
        (Check in any secondary equipment you need for your
        trip but will not be needing in the airport- walkers,
        crutches, etc). You can pick it up at your destination
        and don't have to worry about lugging it and your
        child around various airports if making connections.

        Hope this helps.
        Jenn

        --- Em <emilygroups@...> wrote:

        > Hi everyone,
        > I've been watching a show on TV and there is a dad
        > with a young son
        > who has CP and wanted to hold him during the flight
        > but is not allowed
        > to for take off and landing - he has to be in a car
        > seat or on the
        > seat.
        > It's made me curious about flying with a child who
        > requires more
        > support than a standard seat and belt. Just
        > wondering if anyone here
        > has flown with their child and hold they found it.
        > Were the airrlines
        > helpful? how did seating work? Feeds if required,
        > etd.
        > Thanks
        > --
        > Emily
        > Sister/carer to Trinity (13) with congenital
        > cytomegalovirus, severe
        > CP, profound hearing loss, severe intellectual
        > disability.
        > Carer/niece to Ruth (41) who has Down Syndrome and
        > epilepsy
        > Carer to lots of children with various disabilities
        > and medical
        > problems, each with their own fantastic personality

        "To love another person is to see the face of God"
        -Victor Hugo in Les Miserables

        "Perserverance is not a long race; It is many short races one after another".
        -Walter Elliot

        "The richness of the human experience would lose something of rewarding joy if there were no limitations to overcome".
        -Helen Keller

        __________________________________
        Discover Yahoo!
        http://discover.yahoo.com/
      • Em
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2005
          Thankyou Jen,
          It sounds like you might have done a bit of flying. I have only ever
          been on a plane twice (2hours each way) and hated it. I can't imaging
          what it would be like with extra equipment let alone children aswell.
          Luckily we only ever go as far as Queensland and that's only 20 hours
          (stopping just for toilet breaks, etc and swapping drivers)