HBOT

  • Heather Stein
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 11 11:01 AM
      Ok, so I've been reading all of this correspondence about HBOT warily. Now I am curious. I have a 3 1/2 year old with spastic quadraplegia CP. Since has been in therapy since she was 6 mos old and is now in preschool. We will be enrolling her in a Conductive Education program this summer for 10 weeks. She has made some progress, though slow. She is still unable to talk, walk, crawl, sit, or stand. When my husband and I first heard about HBO therapy a year ago, we brushed it off. No research, not enough info, blah, blah.
      Now that I have read about some real parents who have had good experiences, I am intrigued. We are always willing to try whatever we can to help our daughter and perhaps I was too quick to dismiss this option. Has anyone had any negative experiences? Realistically, what are the side effects and how much stress does this put on the family? Anything I should know ahead of time? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much.

      Heather Stein (mother to Natasha & Makayla)

    • yaymandy32
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 12 5:36 PM
        Hi Heather. It took me tons of research and lots of online groups to
        finally do what my heard told me to try from the beginning on an
        intuitive level. I too asked if anyone has had any negative
        experience and did hear anything. First, do no harm right? My fear
        was that it would bring on seizures since my daughter is seizure
        prone but has not had one since the onset of her illness at 3 weeks.
        When I was confident no harm would come, I just jumped in and did
        it. I am so glad I did and have done 60 sessions so far.

        We were lucky with the 'stress' level. We drove 2 hrs each way to PA
        but my daughter was 10 months the first time and 1.8 yrs the second
        time so it was easy since she was not that mobile yet. My husband
        who is home in the day did the trek with her. I worked. The cost
        was tough, my mom helped us out. The stress would be different with
        each family I guess.

        There were no side effects besides her improving cognitively and
        physically! Have you researched where you would go if you did it? A
        great website is:
        http://www.netnet.net/mums/index.htm

        Good luck in your decision. Let me know what you decide! --MANDY

        --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, Heather Stein