mom blames herself for son' CP

  • staci
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 24, 2004
      How can I find out if my son's CP was caused by a medical mistake? He
      was born 35 weeks with a partially colapsed umbilical cord around his
      neck. Also I have a lot of issues with guilt. I try to find ways to
      blame myself. I blame myself for my water breaking and him having to
      be delivered early. I was stressed the day before and didn't sleep
      much the night before this happened. I had just gotten out of the
      bath tub when my water broke. I know that it was probably
      unpreventable, but I want to get past the blame game. In my pregnancy
      with my son I had High Blood Pressure, I also had Group B Strep.
      Could these conditions cause my water to break? Also I have guilt
      because after 2 weeks in the NICU my son was discharged from the NICU
      only to return on week later because he had vomited twice. After a
      week of antibiotics they finally told me he had pnuemonia. Apon
      arrival to the hospital they said he wasn't gaining well
      breastfeeding. I also like to make myself think this might have
      caused his CP. He didn't loose a lot of weight he just wasn't
      gaining. After this I started supplumenting formula and gave up
      breastfeeding when he was 2 and a half months because my milk just
      dried up. I need someone to tell me that I'm not to blame. I know it
      deep down but it would help to here from an expert.