Re: I need help in making decision

  • vmorgan_98
    Message 1 of 296 , Mar 28, 2001
      Maeve,<br> I sympathize with you tremedously. I
      have vowed in the past that I would never put my
      daughter in a group home but as my health gets worse, I
      wonder how much longer I will be able to take care of
      her. My doctors say because of my artery disease that
      I will probably not live to be 50 years old and
      that if I do, I probably won't have my legs by then. I
      will be 40 in a couple of months. That doesn't leave
      much time. I keep praying about this situation. Right
      now I have her scheduled to go to physical therapy
      twice a week and I finally got her certified to be able
      to go to work at the work shop. I think that will
      help her get the exercise she needs. My plans are to
      check out all the group homes in the area and see if I
      feel she will do well in one of them. In this area,
      the programs and people who run them are not very
      caring people. To most of them it is just a job. I worry
      about her getting the love and attention she needs. She
      is a hugger and I worry also about her getting taken
      advantage of. I frown at the thought of she living in a
      group home where there are men and women together. This
      is such an awful position to be in and sometimes I
      feel angry that my health won't hold out for her. I
      also feel guilty because I see people older than me
      doing a lot more than I am able to and I think I just
      need to try harder. I too wonder what will happen to
      her when I am gone. One thing you should look into is
      getting a hoyer lift so that you will be able to lift
      Ryan when he gets heavier. You should be able to get
      his doctor to write a request for one and if he is
      getting medical insurance of some kind it should cover
      the cost of one. Unfortunately no one told me of any
      of these things when my daughter was younger. I
      didn't even have a wheelchair for her. It's just too bad
      that most families don't get the help they need when
      the child is born to allow them to care for them
      better. Most people have to rely on their own
      strength...physical, mental, emotional and spiritual, to care for the
      child. And once that strength fails they are left making
      decisions like this. It's a sad sad thing to see.
      Message 296 of 296 , Aug 9, 2006