RE: [CEREBRAL PALSY CLUB] W sitting- for Helen

  • **Buddy**
    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 12, 2004
      Curt and Kim:

      Same thing happened in my house. Mom would tell me to "sit right" so many
      times that it bugged me - but she was right, and I know NOW why she did
      that - but because of my W sitting, my feet sweep out - but a good thing is
      that now, with my legs and knees fixed, I CAN'T W sit anymore, and thats
      because it hurts.

      Your son may HATE being told to "fix his feet" but you keep it UP - he will
      understand why you do it sooner or later ';_)

      Buddy
      32/M/VT/CP

      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 13, 2004
        You know... I remember doing that as a kid too. I used to like
        sitting that way, mostly because nobody else could and i thought it
        was fun. I grew out of it at some point. I don't remember anyone
        ever telling me not to, or to sit differently.... must have stopped
        early enough that I'm not windswept; more "in"swept in my left foot
        really.

        Kelly

        --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, "Helen" <girlee831@h...>
        wrote:

        > I have noticed Madsiyn is W sitting alot. Anyone have sugestions on
        > how to keep her from doing this?
        >
        > Helen:)
      • Lizzy Haesbaert
        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 15, 2004
          My son has a real problem with flat feet, I'm still researching to see what would be the best alternative for him. Does anyone here have any tips or advice on the matter?
          Do orthopedic shoes work at a young age?
          All the best,
          Lizzy

        • Chris
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 23, 2004
            i was 3 months premature and diagnosed with CP within my first year
            of life. i am now 19 and have been through all the therapy and i
            agree the w sitting is really bad. when i was younger it was easy to
            sit this way but now if i try it, it hurts. if you do not want your
            children sitting in this position set them down so their legs are
            straight. it worked for me when i was younger. my mom always set me
            down so i had to have my legs straight out.
            --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, "**Buddy**" <bsb31@c...>
            wrote:
            > Curt and Kim:
            >
            > Same thing happened in my house. Mom would tell me to "sit right"
            so many
            > times that it bugged me - but she was right, and I know NOW why she
            did
            > that - but because of my W sitting, my feet sweep out - but a good
            thing is
            > that now, with my legs and knees fixed, I CAN'T W sit anymore, and
            thats
            > because it hurts.
            >
            > Your son may HATE being told to "fix his feet" but you keep it UP -
            he will
            > understand why you do it sooner or later ';_)
            >
            > Buddy
            > 32/M/VT/CP

            Service.

            > --- [Pre-scanned for viruses by Internet America.]

            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.

          • ajay kumar
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 12, 2004
              hi every body,

              my son is 8 years old and is intersted to in 'w' posture when ever he liked to sit and found to be very active in this posture.the PT is giving him all therapy to sit in other postures but whenever he is free he will go back to the 'w' posture . pl advise me how i will make sit in the correct posture.

              thanks,

              ajay

            • sojenal
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 13, 2004
                Hi Ajay,

                I have two boys with CP. my 13yr old sometimes still tries to sit in
                the "W" position. We constantly tell him that it's bad for him. When
                he thinks about it he will sit with his legs out straight or both to
                one side. Our 7-yr. old has never "w" sat. Every child is different,
                but I guess the constant reminders have helped our oldest. (Also a
                lot of intensive therapy has helped). My wife owns an Intensive
                therapy clinic in Florida.
                Log onto www.abilityplustherapy.com for more information on this
                therapy.

                Sincerely,
                Lane

                --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, ajay kumar
                <vigneshtrichur@y...> wrote:

                > hi every body,
                >
                > my son is 8 years old and is intersted to in 'w' posture when ever
                he liked to sit and found to be very active in this posture.the PT is
                giving him all therapy to sit in other postures but whenever he is
                free he will go back to the 'w' posture . pl advise me how i will
                make sit in the correct posture.

                > thanks,
                >
                > ajay
                >

                > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your life partneronline.

              • Leigh Ann Greathouse
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 13, 2004
                  I'm 23 and have CP and still sit in the W position. Can someone tell me whats wrong with sittibg like that what can result from it etc. I don't know very much about CP other than that I have it and what kind I have so now I'm trying to get educated on it so that I can know why I do the things I do(like sit in the W position or etc).

                  <vigneshtrichur@y...> wrote:

                  > hi every body,
                  >
                  > my son is 8 years old and is intersted to in 'w' posture when ever
                  he liked to sit and found to be very active in this posture.the PT is
                  giving him all therapy to sit in other postures but whenever he is
                  free he will go back to the 'w' posture . pl advise me how i will
                  make sit in the correct posture.

                  > thanks,
                  >
                  > ajay
                  >

                  > Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your life partneronline.

                  Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                • danaliz
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 14, 2004
                    It can be very bad for your hips and it causes your feet to turn
                    out. I have an 8 year old with cp and he used to w sit.

                    Dana
                    --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, Leigh Ann Greathouse