When Question arise

  • Lisa McDonald
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 22 11:13 AM
      Austin ( 5 y.o. spastic diplegia, twin is "normal") is transitioning from a school for special needs children to our home public school for Kindergarten this year. I am wondering how you all handle questions from other children about your childs condition. Even Austin,or his twin for that matter, never really questioned his disability.

      Any input would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks

      Lisa Mc

    • **Buddy**
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 22 1:30 PM
        Lisa:

        As a child. and as an adult, there werre people who asked me questions about
        my disability. In most cases, it was easy to tell people about what it was
        that I had. It took me a few years to be able to really understand what CP
        was, and I think my mom did a good job explaining it to me. Most times,
        there are adults that understand what CP is, and 75% of the time, its the
        3-5 year olds that wonder when they see me walk by them. They say "Mommy,
        what happened to his legs" or "why does he use those." (referring to my
        crutches)

        When this happens, I will sometimes hear parents act as if their child asked
        a "forbidden" or "off limits" question. They sigh, and act as if it was an
        embarrassment to them. What I do is to come right down to thier level (Im
        over 6' tall) so they can feel more comfortable tallking to me. I look them
        right in the eye, and I say something that is age appropriate.....Such as:

        "These crutches help me to walk and support me. Your legs help you to walk
        and support you, and that is what my crutches do for me.......what happened
        is that in my head, there are signals that go from your brain to your legs,
        and in my case, the part of the brain that deals with the signals to my legs
        is not functioning as it would be for you. I can walk, I just can't walk
        as well as you can, but that doesn't stop me."

        I tell the parents that I would much rather have a child or an adult ask me
        about my disability, rather then to assume the worst. There is nothing to
        be asamed of about having a disability, and those that don't ASK will not
        learn about a diabled child. (or adult)

        Austin and his twin may not ask about his disability because it may not be
        an issue for him or his twin. They may think that having a special brother
        is cool, or that Austin is special, and they deal with it on their own
        levels. Children are inquisitive, and they WILL ASK about a disability, but
        they should not be afraid of the fact that a special needs child is gonna
        "break" if they touch him/her. Basically, all you need to do is be ready
        for the day that Austin, his friends or other family members may ask about
        his CP - If you can tell Austin or his twin about Austin's CP in a way that
        wont frighten them, then I would do so. Austin is a special young man, and
        I know that you love him dearly. Tell Austin that he is a special young
        man....and that he can do anything he sets his mind to - make him feel
        really good, and remember to tell him the good points of having a
        disability - Most importantly, tell him to always try his best, and NOT to
        give up - give him as much support as you can, and I am sure that Austin and
        his Twin will be able to deal with any questions that may arise - and make
        sure that you are there for the times that they may not understand what is
        asked.............Believe me, that is the best way to deal with it.

        I had friends that would take care of me in school, and they were not mean
        or hurtful. They learned alot about me, and I learned alot about them. It
        got to be a good feeling if I would fall somewhere in a hall or classroom,
        because a bunch of my friends were there to help me :) I also knew that
        when the chips were down that they would help me :) If you can instill the
        fact that Austin is a "special" one of a kind person that has needs, but can
        do alot for himself, that will give him confidence as he grows up.

        I, being 32, have been asked many times about my disability, and my response
        is based on the age of the child, and the type of question asked.........CP
        can be a frightening thing to a child who has not seen a child that has it,
        but if you can explain, then it doesn't seem to be as frightening. I had a
        cousin when she was 2, that would NOT come near me when I was anywhere near
        my crutches, because she thought I ws a "robot" or that I was gonna hit her.
        But, when my Uncle brought her to me about 3 hours later, she wanted to sit
        and hug me, because she did'nt feel threatend by my crutches.......but I
        undertood why, because I was about 6' tall with these metal sticks, and she
        was scared :)

        Hope this helps you - if you want to contact me, please feel free to do so

        bsb31@...

        Buddy
        32/m/cp/VT

        Austin ( 5 y.o. spastic diplegia, twin is "normal") is transitioning from
        a school for special needs children to our home public school for
        Kindergarten this year. I am wondering how you all handle questions from
        other children about your childs condition. Even Austin,or his twin for
        that matter, never really questioned his disability.

        Any input would be greatly appreciated.

        Thanks

        Lisa Mc

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Shannon Tinsley

          Austin ( 5 y.o. spastic diplegia, twin is "normal") is transitioning from
          a school for special needs children to our home public school for
          Kindergarten this year. I am wondering how you all handle questions from
          other children about your childs condition. Even Austin,or his twin for
          that matter, never really questioned his disability.

          Any input would be greatly appreciated.

          Thanks

          Lisa Mc

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Lisa McDonald
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 22 5:49 PM
            Buddy,

            THANK YOU SO MUCH for your encouraging words! I will always have an answer
            at the tip of my tongue now. By the way you sound in your email, you should
            do motivational speeches! Good for you for being so honest!

            Thanks again!

            Lisa

> [...]
            asked.........CP
            > can be a frightening thing to a child who has not seen a child that has
            it,
            > but if you can explain, then it doesn't seem to be as frightening. I had
            > cousin when she was 2, that would NOT come near me when I was anywhere
            near
            > my crutches, because she thought I ws a "robot" or that I was gonna hit
            her.
            > But, when my Uncle brought her to me about 3 hours later, she wanted to
            sit
            > and hug me, because she did'nt feel threatend by my crutches.......but I
            > undertood why, because I was about 6' tall with these metal sticks, and
            she
            > was scared :)
            >
            > Hope this helps you - if you want to contact me, please feel free to do so

            Service.

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 25 11:14 AM
              When my son was growing up, I tried to make sure I
              answered questions, even the unasked questions. I
              would see a child staring at Jason and I would talk to
              them, something like "Hi, my name is Mrs. Marasco adn
              this is my son Jason. He is not able to walk or use
              his hands yet, but maybe he will some day. But he
              hears great and if you want to say Hi he would like
              that. But, we're not sure how much he sees so what we
              do is touch his hand when we talk to him so he knows
              it is him we are talking too." or "big stroller, huh,
              he can't walk yet, isn't it neat that they make
              stroller for all sizes of people". One time a 'punk
              rock' type guy with piercings etc saw Jason's trach
              and said "Man! Whats with that?", I replied"New type
              of body piercing, his brother got his tongue pierced
              and Jason just wanted to outdo him." Shows that the
              guy was probly on something when he said, "Wow< that's
              rich", then gave Jason a thumbs up saying "righteous!"
              The teens say translated,that was a positive feedback.
              Jason's disability is due to a stroke when he was a
              baby; but when a teen was skateboarding by, he said
              "What happend too him!" and pointed his finger,
              Jason's stepfather replied "skateboard accident,
              wasn't wearing a helmet."

              I guess it depends on the way questions are asked and
              my mood at the time. Now that I've been through this
              a number of years, my skin is a little thicker and
              some things don't bother me as much as it used to. I
              would try not to over-react when I was with his
              brother because he would get real angry and defensive
              of his brother with people's stareing etc.

              Debra M-Mc
              --- Lisa McDonald <frazzledone413@...> wrote:

              > Austin ( 5 y.o. spastic diplegia, twin is "normal")
              > is transitioning from a school for special needs
              > children to our home public school for Kindergarten
              > this year. I am wondering how you all handle
              > questions from other children about your childs
              > condition. Even Austin,or his twin for that matter,
              > never really questioned his disability.
              >
              > Any input would be greatly appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Lisa Mc

              > removed]

            • chrisb16_us
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 30 8:32 PM
                --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, Shannon Tinsley
                <enlighten_me18@y...> wrote: Hi everyone I could not pass this one
                up. When Kids ask about my 11 year olds disability I simply tell
                them that Joshs brain was hurt when he was born and that he can't
                walk or talk because his brain can't remind him too. It is very
                simple and to the point and they really seem to understand. ( works
                on some adults too) lol My younger son is 6 and has taken over that
                explanation for me. Which makes me very proud he has only ever asked
                about his brother once when he was 2. I told him the same thing and
                he has never needed to ask again. hope that helps.
> [...]
                asked.........CP
                > can be a frightening thing to a child who has not seen a child that
                has it,
                > but if you can explain, then it doesn't seem to be as frightening.
                I had a
                > cousin when she was 2, that would NOT come near me when I was
                anywhere near
                > my crutches, because she thought I ws a "robot" or that I was gonna
                hit her.
                > But, when my Uncle brought her to me about 3 hours later, she
                wanted to sit
                > and hug me, because she did'nt feel threatend by my
                crutches.......but I
                > undertood why, because I was about 6' tall with these metal sticks,
                and she
                > was scared :)
                >
                > Hope this helps you - if you want to contact me, please feel free

                Service.