Re: The school system

  • dmstone13904
    Message 1 of 296 , Mar 1, 2001
      Melissa, First off, I am sorry it has taken me so
      long to respond to you. We have been building a
      wheelchair acessible home for our 10 1/2 year old for the
      last 2 almost three years and it is done. We have been
      moving over the last 4 weeks or so. Well I hate all
      those meeting too. They promise you the moon and only
      seem to put in a 1/8 hearted effort. Jessie is in the
      school version of inclusion, I truly believe in
      inclusion but our school system has no idea of what they
      are doing. They had in the past even hired a one to
      one aide that was transfered because she verbally
      abused and got caught hitting her. But they are so
      smart, they just transfered her to the middle school and
      say she is now working with children with emotional
      and not physical disabilities. I don't get it there
      isn't anyone to report her to except the school. If I
      treated a child so badly out of school I could go to
      jail! I tell you about that only so I can explain that
      now my child hates school and almost all the special
      people that work with her in school. They say they can't
      get her to do anything for them but the new aid she
      has can get her to do any and all school work when
      they aren't watching. The aid thinks Jessie is doning
      that to them because they didn't help her when the old
      aid had her. The new aid is great and is willing to
      do anything for Jessie if these professionals will
      only adapt her work so Tracy can help her. I just had
      a meeting yesterday at the school, they think she
      can't learn because she is too stuborn. I said that
      they just are unable to find ways to motivate her and
      maybe they need to go back to school themselves. Well
      after we exchanged our words I was able to get them to
      listen to the professionals that we have come to the
      house to work with her and now they are promising to
      try some of the things we do at home to teach her. Oh
      how I hate dealing with them, almost as much as
      Jessie hates it. They have treated her like she is a
      trained seal or something. She is to do what ever task
      they order when ever they order and as many times as
      they ask. She has had a power wheelchair for the last
      3 years and they are only now allowing her to drive
      it in school. Well I am at work now and I need to
      get back to work, thanks for listening, sorry to go
      off like that. I just get so discouraged every time I
      meet with them. Dawn
      Message 296 of 296 , Aug 9 6:28 PM