Work Questions for parents

  • Christine
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 13, 2004
      Hello everyone, I am new here. My name is Christine, mother of an 8
      year old son who has severe CP. I was curious how many of you
      parents can work. I do stay home because there are so many days my
      son misses from school. I would definitely be fired.
      I can to a dead end with his insurance and any nursing aide care
      years ago. It is an average of 15-25.00 an hr. for someone to come
      in.
      My last part time job was about 5 years ago and from then have not
      been able to find anything full time from home. I was just curious
      what types of work other parents have. A friend of mine suggested
      real estate, they can make their own schedule, etc.
      Anyway, thanks for any replies.
      Christine
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 13, 2004
        I started working for the special ed school system
        that my son was in. First as a substitute, I would
        get a call in the am and sometimes the night before.
        I usually knew how my son was health wise. Then as
        his health improved, I got more experience working
        with all types of disabilities etc, I took a permenant
        job in the classroom. The 2 school systems I have
        worked in have found out that parents are the source
        of a trained workforce that is familiar with severe
        phyically involved/wheelchair students.
        Also I did special needs daycare in my home, before
        and after school. Other families are in the same
        situation, especially if their "children" are in their
        teens to adulthood. There are few options for these
        families. I was paid via an in-home-support services
        system, our "regional center", part family pay, etc.
        I even took care of the great-grandmother of one of my
        kids who had dementia/alzheimers along with him and my
        son. Sounds crazy, but it worked, especially since
        the kids were non-ambulatory and "Ida? moved slow. I
        was careful not to take on extreme behaviors or
        "runners". After school care was also a way of
        bringing peers into my home and fostered freindships.
        I know that most of us work on overload and take on
        another ? May seem nuts but it works. It's also
        in-home and some parents may need to get out instead
        of takeing on more. All I can say is pray about it
        and do not limit your talent & creativity.

        Debra M-Mc

        --- Christine <stimylee@...> wrote:
        > Hello everyone, I am new here. My name is Christine,
        > mother of an 8
        > year old son who has severe CP. I was curious how
        > many of you
        > parents can work. I do stay home because there are
        > so many days my
        > son misses from school. I would definitely be fired.
        > I can to a dead end with his insurance and any
        > nursing aide care
        > years ago. It is an average of 15-25.00 an hr. for
        > someone to come
        > in.
        > My last part time job was about 5 years ago and
        > from then have not
        > been able to find anything full time from home. I
        > was just curious
        > what types of work other parents have. A friend of
        > mine suggested
        > real estate, they can make their own schedule, etc.
        > Anyway, thanks for any replies.
        > Christine

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • Lisa McDonald
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 15, 2004
          Hi Christine,

          I felt the same way about working outside the home. I tried doing daycare,
          but I already had my hands full with my twins, so that didn't work out.
          Desperate to supplement my husbands income a neighbor works for the Dept. of
          Aging. They have seniors that need in-home help a couple of hours a day. I
          took on two and can do that while the boys are in school half day.

          You may want to try something like that.

          Lisa Mc

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2004
            In California this program is know as
            In-Home_Support-Services; and as our children get
            older, some may qualify for this service also, it
            depends on the extent of their disability and if they
            need supervision assistance.

            Debra M-Mc

          • Linda
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2004
              Have you looked at the stay at home businesses? I have been selling
              Discovery Toys since August and have managed to earn a very good
              income $750/month. It's not a ton, but I stay at home with my boys,
              and we have a ton of developmental products and materials that have
              benefited us in a huge way! I even sell my toys to my son's
              PT/OT/speech team. They are that highly regarded.

              There are other great companies out there. If you want more info on
              the one I work for you can email me at rampmama@.... You can
              even check it out in the October 2003 Parents Magazine.

              Good luck in acheiving your balance.

              Linda

              --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, Debra Marasco-McNulty