Re: [CEREBRAL PALSY CLUB] help! weight issues

  • danaliz@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30 4:37 PM
      I can't really help with the gaining weight process we are having
      the same problem here with that issue. But the doctors don't seem
      to mind so much since he always gains weight we he grows taller so
      it's always in ratio to his own personal chart at least. But the
      constipation issue I can lend some information. My son is always
      constipated also we are on a prescription called Mirlax and it seems
      to work wonders. We tried everything under the sun before this with
      no luck but this really does the trick. He doesn't get it everyday
      he gets it about every 3-4 days because it seems to keep him regular
      for those days. Hope this is some help!!

      Dana
      --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, Rob and Jennifer Greuling
      <greulings@y...> wrote:
      > Debra,
      >
      > Thanks for your response. To answer your question, No I havent
      tried meds for GERD. and Yes my son is always constipated.. has been
      since almost the day he was born! We have tried everything it seems
      to help him with that with no luck.

      > Jen
      >

      > Debra Marasco-McNulty <debraphp@y...> wrote:
      > I think you must spend all your time feeding with all
      > those young/special "monkeys". I've posted quite a
      > bit in the last 3 months re: my son Jason who is 27
      > yrs, micro CP, spastic quad, who did have a reflux.
      > When he was 8 yrs, after a couple of years of feed
      > then throw-up, we opted for a Nissen fundal plication
      > or in layman's terms, a g-tube to his stomach and they
      > fixed the top part of the stomach where the reflux
      > was. I was really fearful of the drastic measure, but
      > Jason is happier and the g-tube doesn't seem to bother
      > him. I spoke with a "normal" man who had one and
      > could communicate and he dispelled many of my fears
      > and in the last 18 yrs the procedure is very common
      > and fine-tuned. Also at the schools I have had a dozen
      > + students at one-time and 3 god children with them.
      > One reason for failure with g-tubes is that an
      > emptying study is not done and should be. My son was
      > empty at about 30% of what he should have which is
      > probly what caused the refux. If that is the case, as
      > procedure called a pyloral plasty can be done at the
      > same time. Throwing up can cause problems with the
      > esophogus and should be taken care of. Have you tried
      > meds for GERD, ie Pepsid etc. You should talk to
      > doctor first. Is your son constipated ?
      >
      > Sorry about getting long in the response, I do that
      > alot. Debra M-Mc debraphp@y...
      >

      > --- momto4littlemonkeys <greulings@y...> wrote:
      > > Hello, I havent posted in a while..busy, busy, busy.
      > > Well, here is my
      > > question... How can I put some weight on my son. He
      > > is 3 years old
      > > and our twin B. he was the smaller of the two and
      > > has many more
      > > health issues (CP, infantile spasms, glasses,
      > > failure to thrive,
      > > etc.). He only weighs a bit over 20 lbs. but is very
      > > tall. It seems
      > > that I have tried everything. Pediasure makes him
      > > throw up and so
      > > does kindercal. We have tried carnation instant
      > > breakfast in his
      > > bottle (he doesnt use a cup yet). We've tried
      > > Benecalorie
      > > supplements. Im at a loss. My son is so tiny and it
      > > scares me. I need
      > > some help. thanks in advance.
      > >
      > > Jen G.
      > > 28 year old SAHM of four under 4.
      > > Robbie 3 (twin A, CP)
      > > Evan 3 (twin B, CP, failure to thrive)
      > > Rose 2
      > > Cooper 17 wks.
      > > ALL the light of my life!

      Service.

      > Jen G.
      > Proud Mommy to Robbie , Evan , Rose and Cooper

    • Suze
      Message 2 of 5 , May 2, 2004
        Just a note on the Miralax. If your child has problems with high sodium levels, or gets dehydrated easily, then miralax is not a good solution. There is a product called Fruit-Eze, that is all natural, that we are going to try, and see if it helps our son out, who is 23 (with cp, seizure disorder, tri-plegic, non-verbal,glasses), who also has a problem with gaining weight.