Re: Respite Care?

  • bettieblue2001
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2003
      hi jen!
      my name is tania, i have a 3 yo girl with quad cp, and a 4 month old
      boy.
      i resisted respite for the longest time, until our social worker
      pretty much insisted i get someone in after my son was born, even if
      it was only to get a couple of hours of uninterrupted sleep! it has
      turned out to be one of the best things ive done for myself ever! i
      was very hesitant to leave the kids (she looks after both of them)
      with a stranger naturally, but once i had met her, i felt quite
      secure. i started out just getting her to look after them while i
      did stuff around the house, or went food shopping for an hour or so,
      but now i confidently leave them with her while i go out with a
      girlfriend once a week for lunch or to a movie, whatever we feel
      like. i also get a lady to meet us at the hydrotherapy pool once a
      week, and she looks after my son while my daughter and i attend
      hydro. these ladies r employed and trained by the cerebral palsy
      association that we r with, all police cleared and experienced.
      id really recommend respite, everyone needs time to be "childless",
      just for a little while!! once u get over the natural feeling of not
      wanting to leave ur kids, it will become something u look forward to
      each week.
      take care
      tania

      --- In cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com, "greulings"