New - daughter with CP and visual problems

  • acclaire
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2003
      Hi
      My name is Andrea. I just found this group and it has been very
      helpful to read your messages...Helps me not feel alone in this long
      long journey. My daughter Alli is 16 months old and has recently
      been diagnosed with CP. She also has very involved vision problems.
      She has corticol vision impairment and optic nerve atrophy. The
      ophth. says her vision should improve, but we haven't seen much
      improvement. I don't think she sees much of anything. She also is
      very delayed in her motor skills. She is not sitting, rolling or
      crawling. We're doing PT with her and we have seen some
      improvements, but it is very slow. I'm wondering if some of your
      children with CP also have vision problems. I would love to hear
      your stories and about their developmental progress. It's hard to
      know what is from vision and what is from CP. Alli is also very
      clingy to me and my husband. Hardly lets anyone else hold her and
      can't stand being alone on the floor etc. Anyone else experience
      this with their children? Thanks for listening.
      Andrea
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 2003
        My son Jason (26 yrs old) has the diagnosis of
        cortical blindness but.... He love watching TV, he
        responds appropriatly to ladies on TV and off. He
        used to have a fascination with blondes (light hair
        not mom?) He loves checking out animals (not snakes,
        he can see a python a block away), he also enjoys
        sightseeing as long as the sun is not directly in his
        eyes and it's not too crowded ( being in a wheelchair,
        he is "butt high" on alot of people. He does not sit
        up on his own and since his spinal doesn't turn to the
        side much less over. He loves to flirt and have
        people talk to him, though it takes a minute for him
        to process and respond.

        What an adventure we are on, the unknown lies ahead
        and possibilities endless; to quote other adventurers.

        Debra M-Mc

        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com