      From: Debra Marasco-McNulty
      To: cerebralpalsyclub@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 12:39 AM
      Subject: Re: [CEREBRAL PALSY CLUB] Bowel Problems

      My son has needed digital disimpaction for 27 years. As for the aspiration, he does that also. Until he had his spinal fusion surgery at 19, he would put his head forward to swallow. When he had the spinal fusion, they had trouble de-intubating him, so he got a trach. Thank God for the direction in this, it was supposed to be temporary, but since he now has trouble dropping he head far enough forward, Jason would also be having difficulty. " The trach is our friend", that's our mantra. Jason loves his trach and does not like it capped off. According to our nurse, you pray for a trach when there is neuro muscular involvement. A friend of ours in Sacramento just went through it with her son. She was so scared and nervous, but now she feels blessed. There is an optional airway, less chance of choking, great for anethesia for example during dental work. My son has had 4 colds in 7 years and no pneumonias. His chest wall is fixed. Oh, and he can make his noises in spite of
      it. Along with the g-tube, the trach has enhanced Jason's quality of life. Now another thought about these aparatuses, I would be glad to take a video of Jason and let you see them in action, or am I being too weird?

      Nicole Gatewood <nmartin0546@...> wrote:Hello my name is Nicole and I have a child with very similar issues. I usually give her a enema or if not that her pediatrician wrote a prescription for her call Maalox. It is really good and does not cause Diarrhea.

      pjmaxxx2 <greenacres95@...> wrote:Is anyone having the same problem with their child as I am??? He is
      27 years old and up till early this year he has been able to have
      bowel movements (some constipation of course) He has always been in
      a wheelchair and his foods are pureed. He has been to several
      doctors and no one can give me a reason for this. So beside this
      problem I am now faced with being told today that he quietly
      aspirates too!!!!!! This was confirmed by a swollow screening .
      I would be very interested in getting some advice that would help
      with the bowel problem. I will deal with the other later. He has
      not been chocking or coughing during feeding and really has not had
      any changes. ANY ideas?

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor