driving, Ohio and N

  • ahtosleep
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2008
      Hi Everyone,

      I just joined the group, because I just moved to Ohio and saw that you
      were listed on the NN site. I'm glad to have found you! Wish I were
      closer to Columbus. I was diagnosed several years ago now and this
      will be the first time I need to exchange my driver's license knowing
      I have N. Has anyone gone through this? Has anyone had trouble
      getting a license? I don't want to lie, obviously, but I don't want
      to give out any info that I don't need to. I simply don't drive when
      I feel too sleepy. I don't have major C or sudden sleep attacks. I'm
      on medicine and my driving record is clean. But the way things are
      worded with bmv, "(a person that)is or has been subject to a condition
      resulting in episodic impairment of consciousness or loss of muscular
      control", seems like I have no choice but to say so and get my doctor
      involved (I think he would support me, but it says they can deny me
      anyway if they want to.). I would assume "while driving" is implied
      here, but it never says that. I've never had a sudden sleep attack
      while medicated behind the wheel or otherwise. However, I do
      microsleep, feel weak, get foggy when really sleepy (like everyone has
      the potential to), even on meds, but that is when I apply common sense
      and take a nap or stay out of the driver's seat or both if need be.
      Opinions? What do they actually ask you verbally, if anything, about
      medical conditions? I was stunned to see they make new residents take
      the written test again. I see they also have the option to make you
      take the road test (stated again when discussing the medical issue).
      If I have to take a road test under those circumstances, I might just
      be so nervous it won't even matter about N. I just don't want to
      create a mess for myself either way. Love to hear from you on this.
      Thanks!