FWD: "MIRACLES IN THE CHURCH"

  • jesus_saves_follow_him
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 2, 2006
      Greetings,

      I had been in need of encouragment on the Word of God during a time of
      daily discouragement as I hear and read many comments on life's
      happenings of daily 'facts' opposite to God's 'Truth' and that
      challenge me to make a choice: I can either side with God and believe
      God's TRUTH or side with 'the enemy of my soul' and believe life
      happenings that are contrary to Jesus teachings and God's Will for my
      life. I pray that others will be encouraged too.

      "Miracles in the Church" by Dr. Larry Ollison, Ph.D. * as always I
      am posting this message with full copyright permission*

      If I were to ask you if you believed in miracles, what would you say?
      Well if you are a Christian, the answer should be yes. Why? Because
      miracles are a major part of the church.

      Let me explain. When we read about the offices in the church, we
      usually read Ephesians 4:11. Here we find where it says, “And He
      Himself (referring to Jesus) gave some to be apostles, some prophets,
      some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, for the equipping of
      the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of
      Christ.”

      Here we find that Jesus placed apostles, prophets, evangelists,
      pastors and teachers in the church to build up the church. But when we
      study the scriptures, we cannot take one verse and build everything on
      it. In other words we must take the sum of the scriptures and see what
      it says.

      With that in mind let’s look at 1 Corinthians 12:28. Here it says,
      “And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second
      prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings,
      helps, administrations, varieties of tongues.” Did you catch that? God
      placed the miracles in the church, just like He placed healing,
      teaching and apostles. If this is true, and it is, then why do we not
      see more miracles in the church?

      Well, the answer to that is actually explained by the Bible. In Mark
      Chapter 6, Jesus went to his hometown of Nazareth along with His
      disciples. When the Sabbath day came, Jesus began teaching in the
      synagogue. There were many people there who had traveled to hear Him,
      and they were astonished at what He said. In verse two the people said
      “Where did this Man get these things? And what wisdom is this which is
      given to Him, that such mighty works are performed by His hands!”

      Then some of the people began to doubt his authority. They said, “Is
      this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and the brother of James,
      Joses, Judas and Simon? Are not His sisters here with us?”

      In other words they said, “Who does this guy think he is? He’s just
      the local neighbor boy who grew up down the street.” Then the Bible
      says that the people became offended at Him.

      But Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his
      own country, among his own relatives, and in his own house.” In other
      words, Jesus said that when you are among strangers, the people will
      listen and believe, but at home the people are too familiar and it’s
      harder to believe.

      For years, I traveled and one thing I noticed. It seemed like my
      notoriety was directionally proportional to the number of miles I was
      from home. The farther I would go, the greater the crowd.

      But listen to this. In Nazareth, the Bible says in Mark 6:5 that Jesus
      could not do many might works there. Notice it doesn’t say he would
      not, it says He could not. Why? Because they did not believe. Verse 6
      says that Jesus marveled at their unbelief.

      Jesus said all things are possible for those who believe. That must in
      turn mean that all things are not possible for those who do not
      believe. The choice is ours.

      All rights reserved. Used by permission.
      This article may be reproduced for teaching purposes but not for
      commercial resale
      The Cutting Edge Devotional by Dr. Ollison is a daily feature of
      www.CFAITH.com
      The Cutting Edge Devotional -
      PO Box 880, Osage Beach, MO 65065 USA
      When writing about this devotional, refer to devotional #0094

      Over 100 hours of free audio teachings online by Dr. Ollison at:
      http://www.larryollison.com/teachings.html