SAC birds and tour opportunity for 5/2.

  • Chris Conard
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2007
      Folks,

      The Bufferlands of the Sacramento Regional County Sanitation District (
      www.bufferlands.com) are typically closed to the public except during guided
      tours. This Wednesday (tomorrow, 5/2/07) I will be surveying for shorebirds
      in the afternoon and would like to extend the offer to members of this
      list to join me, as shorebirding conditions are now excellent. I can
      meet you at our Frontage Rd gate at 5:30 pm for 1.5 to 2 hours of birding.
      No RSVP needed unless you are going to be late. This is a good opportunity
      to look for local rarities and brush up on the ID of common species. Bring
      a spotting scope if you have one.

      From Sacramento, take I-5 south. Exit at Meadowview/Pocket Rd (just south of
      Florin) and turn left (east) over the freeway. Turn right (south) on
      Freeport Blvd (the third light). After one mile, just before the town of
      Freeport, turn left on Stonecrest and follow it over the freeway and south
      to a locked gate. The forecast tomorrow is for scattered showers in the
      afternoon. Be prepared to walk up to 2 miles.

      This morning there were 75 Semipalmated Sandpipers, at least 2,000 Western
      Sandpipers, and 500 dowitchers. Yesterday there were at least three calling
      Short-billed Dowitchers and a Peregrine Falcon that put up the birds on
      occasion. On Saturday's (4/28/07) Spring Migration Tour we had similar
      excellent shorebirding conditions. Two Redheads (male and female), that
      continued Monday, were a nice find.

      Lately, the songbird migration has been very slow. John Trochet and I
      surveyed Orr Forest on Sunday, and struggled to find common western migrants
      in ones and twos. My experience has been similar at the Bufferlands during
      more casual observations. I hope early May will be better than late April
      this year.

      Chris Conard
      Sacramento
      cell 916 203 1610

    • Chris Conard
      Message 2 of 2 , May 2, 2007
        Folks,

        As you may have guessed, what I meant was 75 Semipalmated PLOVERS. There
        are a handful of fall records for Semipalmated Sandpiper for the property,
        and they have proven regular in the fall at the Davis Wetlands, but as
        singles, or, very rarely, two birds found in a day.

        Sorry for the confusion.

        Chris Conard
        Sacramento