West Sac Port of Sacramento access

  • Steve Hampton
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2000
      Steve Holzman and I ventured to West Sac this morning. Typically, there are Western and Clark's Grebes in the ship Turning Basin (but none today). We found a much better access than trying to get in through the guard kiosk on Harbor. From I-80, take Harbor south, turn left on Industrial just before the port entrance, follow Industrial east and over the curving bridge over the ship canal. It now changes its name to Lake Washington Blvd. As you come over the bridge, turn right (over the curb) onto a broad dirt road that leads you back to the canal. You can now drive along the dirt levee up and down the canal for a very long way, with great views of the entire Turning Basin from its southern edge (where the birds usually are). There were lots of fishermen here with their vehicles.

      There's also a marshy pond with mudflats along the levee, but is easily viewed by continuing on Lake Wash. Blvd and taking the first right onto Southport (or something like that). Drive a short distance and you'll see the nice pond. It had avocets, dowitchers, and ducks.

      good birding,

      Steve Hampton
      Resource Economist
      Office of Spill Prevention and Response