Re: [CVBirds] Eurasian Collared Dove in Sacramento

  • Chris Conard
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 1 5:27 AM
      Steve and all:

      Based on Steve Hampton's article in the winter 2006 issue of the CVBC
      Bulletin, the first record for the county was a bird found by Gil Ewing in
      Sacramento on 8/1/05. Since John Trochet found a single collared-dove on
      the Rio Cosumnes CBC on 1/3/06, their numbers have been building in the
      southern portion of the county. Andy Engilis reports 15 this year on the
      Rio Cosumnes CBC--all in the southeastern portion of the count circle; they
      have been fairly regular since last spring near the intersection of
      Bruceville and Lambert Rds to the north of Cosumnes River Preserve.

      Your report is the first I know of from that far north in the county other
      than a report of 8 birds from Natomas on 12/11/05, though I suspect this
      species is under reported.

      Steve Hampton's article also deals with the problem of separating individual
      releases from the general trend of the species spreading into our region
      (~2004). Though one can only guess at the origin of an individual bird,
      this species is becoming more numerous and is likely here to stay.

      Chris Conard
      Sacramento

      On 1/31/07, Steve Abbott <papasula@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know the status of this species in Sacramento County?

    • Jon King
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 2 9:04 AM
        Additionally, a small number of Collared Doves were present in midtown
        Sacramento in 2000-2002 (I thought I passed this on to SH for his
        article, but maybe not). Initially, there were just 1-2, but
        subsequently the group built to at least 4-5, perhaps the offspring of
        the original birds. I believe in a message to SH I mentioned that they
        might have been introduced, given the early year within the bigger
        "colonisation" pattern, and the fact that the group died out or moved
        on, but that was purely speculative, and as likely they were the
        vanguard of the bigger arrival. (The first Collared Doves to colonise
        the UK were a pair that arrived and bred for a couple of years in
        isolation ahead of the broader immigration, so such a pattern is
        apparently typical for the species.)

        Cheers, Jon.

        >>> "Chris Conard" <conardc@...> 2/1/2007 5:27 AM >>>
        Steve and all:

        Based on Steve Hampton's article in the winter 2006 issue of the CVBC
        Bulletin, the first record for the county was a bird found by Gil Ewing
        in
        Sacramento on 8/1/05. Since John Trochet found a single collared-dove
        on
        the Rio Cosumnes CBC on 1/3/06, their numbers have been building in
        the
        southern portion of the county. Andy Engilis reports 15 this year on
        the
        Rio Cosumnes CBC--all in the southeastern portion of the count circle;
        they
        have been fairly regular since last spring near the intersection of
        Bruceville and Lambert Rds to the north of Cosumnes River Preserve.

        Your report is the first I know of from that far north in the county
        other
        than a report of 8 birds from Natomas on 12/11/05, though I suspect
        this
        species is under reported.

        Steve Hampton's article also deals with the problem of separating
        individual
        releases from the general trend of the species spreading into our
        region
        (~2004). Though one can only guess at the origin of an individual
        bird,
        this species is becoming more numerous and is likely here to stay.

        Chris Conard
        Sacramento

        On 1/31/07, Steve Abbott <papasula@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know the status of this species in Sacramento County?

      • Steve Abbott
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 2 9:13 AM
          Why is it that Euraisian Collared Doves go so completely under reported? We
          hear more instances of people seeing Orange Bishops than we do of Collared
          Doves and yet the latter is much less likely an escapee! Any thoughts?

          On 2/2/07, Jon King <Jon.King@...> wrote:

          > Additionally, a small number of Collared Doves were present in midtown
          > Sacramento in 2000-2002 (I thought I passed this on to SH for his
          > article, but maybe not). Initially, there were just 1-2, but
          > subsequently the group built to at least 4-5, perhaps the offspring of
          > the original birds. I believe in a message to SH I mentioned that they
          > might have been introduced, given the early year within the bigger
          > "colonisation" pattern, and the fact that the group died out or moved
          > on, but that was purely speculative, and as likely they were the
          > vanguard of the bigger arrival. (The first Collared Doves to colonise
          > the UK were a pair that arrived and bred for a couple of years in
          > isolation ahead of the broader immigration, so such a pattern is
          > apparently typical for the species.)
          >
          > Cheers, Jon.

          > AM >>>
          >
          > Steve and all:
          >
          > Based on Steve Hampton's article in the winter 2006 issue of the CVBC
          > Bulletin, the first record for the county was a bird found by Gil Ewing
          > in
          > Sacramento on 8/1/05. Since John Trochet found a single collared-dove
          > on
          > the Rio Cosumnes CBC on 1/3/06, their numbers have been building in
          > the
          > southern portion of the county. Andy Engilis reports 15 this year on
          > the
          > Rio Cosumnes CBC--all in the southeastern portion of the count circle;
          > they
          > have been fairly regular since last spring near the intersection of
          > Bruceville and Lambert Rds to the north of Cosumnes River Preserve.
          >
          > Your report is the first I know of from that far north in the county
          > other
          > than a report of 8 birds from Natomas on 12/11/05, though I suspect
          > this
          > species is under reported.
          >
          > Steve Hampton's article also deals with the problem of separating
          > individual
          > releases from the general trend of the species spreading into our
          > region
          > (~2004). Though one can only guess at the origin of an individual
          > bird,
          > this species is becoming more numerous and is likely here to stay.
          >
          > Chris Conard
          > Sacramento
          >
          > On 1/31/07, Steve Abbott <papasula@... <papasula%40gmail.com>>
          > wrote:
          > >

          > > Does anyone know the status of this species in Sacramento County?

          Steve Abbott
          Cameron Park, CA