Slate-colored Junco in Sacramento

  • James F. Holmes
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 1, 2007
      This morning on my way to the office, I had a "Slate-colored" Junco across
      the street from my house. The last 2 winters there has been a Slate-colored
      Junco winter with the local "oregon" Junco/Yellow-rumped Warbler flock, but
      I had not previously seen the bird before today. This morning, the bird was
      pretty much by itself (not with a flock).

      If anyone is interested in looking for it, the bird was along U Street,
      several houses east of the corner of U Street and 42nd street. This is very
      close to the Emergency Department entrance of UC Davis Medical Center.

      Good luck and Happy New Year,

      Jim Holmes
    • Dan Airola
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 23, 2009
        A male Slate-colored Junco was at my feeder yesterday (Feb 23), in the
        Curtis Park area of Sacramento. None have been seen here previously this
        season. I also had one here briefly last year. The bird was uniformly
        dark gray on head and back, with just a slight indication of brownish
        streaks on the back. It also had a light pinkish bill and no white
        wing bars.
      • Leo Edson
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 23, 2009
          A couple of other birds to report from the City of Sacramento from over the weekend.

          A pair of hooded mergansers were in the small park pond north of the Land Park Golf Course near the intersection of 19th Street and 14th Avenue. It was entertaining watching the male gooble down a relatively large crayfish. Two pair of hooded mergansers were at this same location last weekend. Mergansers must find something attractive about this small pond as I saw 6 common merganser at the same location over a few days last winter.

          As typical for this time of year, at least one merlin has been present near my house in Land Park. The most recent sighting was Saturday as I watch it tear apart some smaller feathered creature high in a sycamore near Riverside Blvd. and Robertson Way.

          Leo Edson
          Sacramento, CA