Davis Wetlands, 1-July-06

  • Jon King
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2006
      Between business travel and World Cup viewing, early this morning I was
      finally able to squeeze in my first check of the City of Davis Wetlands
      this shorebird season. With such a wet spring, the water levels in all
      ponds are predictably high, and it is unlikely that there will be much
      good habitat before August.

      That said, I was pleased to find a flock of 8 adult WILLETS on the
      islets in Wastewater Lagoon, always a good bird in Yolo County, and one
      that seems to have a regular peak in movement throught the county in
      early July based on my observations here. Also on the same lagoon were
      four Long-billed Dowitchers. Otherwise, there was an abundance of young
      of avocets, stilts, and Killdeers, and the traditional mid-summer
      concentration of Redhead, plus the few oversummering ducks previously
      reported by others.

      Cheers, Jon.